Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stats and Weapon Relations.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruisleipa
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forefn wrote:
Maybe using a certain type of weapon alot could improve your skill with that one type of weapon. I liked the gem system too, and they could work with each other to a certain extent. Possibly you could only fill in your 'Dagger Use 1' if you've used a dagger enough against certain monsters. So kill monsters with less levels for a first gem and monsters with higher levels for a second.

God, that gem system was so horrible..There was absolutely no change if you decided to use berdiches after using swords the whole game.. But yes, seperate skills for different weapon classes is a must.
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only bad thing about that gem system was that it took ages to switch gems - it couldn't be done effectively in battle. If there will be a gem system, change it - modify it. The con isn't great enough to warrant omni-weapon expertise.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
thewreck
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it couldn't be done effectively in battle

dont you think that was the point?
Ruisleipa
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewreck wrote:
Quote:

I think it was like that in pA12, that you could change rapidly.. it was even worse. Very Happy
Manifold

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewreck wrote:
Quote:

It wasn't enough.. like I said. :P

LookinToDie
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, someone said this before but I'm elaborating and illustrating Razz We should have separate skills for different weapons. And the, gem system was nice, too. And to make it even more fun, add the 'getting-used-to-the-weapon' thing.

So, say you learn Sword Mastery I, you get 10 gem slots. Being a noob you start using a shortsword to fight monsters. As you earn xp with that weapon, your slots start getting filled with gems. After some time you'll have mastered your shortsword and you'll get those +55 AR for example. Then you find a better sword, say a longsword. The moment you equip it, you'll have to start earning gems for your Sword Mastery skill. So, the skills will represent the max bonus you can get with a certain kind of weapon. If you decide to re-equip the shortsword after some time... you should have lost some of the skills and have like 7 gems instead of 10.

Then limit the max amount of gems/skills you can max with intelligence or something like that. Dumb fighters with no intelligence will be able to max fewer skills than a wise mage.
Kaoryn
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, Lookintodie. And quite possibly a great idea. Heh. Just one thing though. Don't you think if you go from a sword to another sword it would be kinda dumb to "lose skill" in using it? I know they are different types, but a sword is a sword. Haha. The only difference is the strength it takes to weild it. You know? But the general idea is nice. =)

~Kao

"An Optimist is the Human Personification of Spring."
LookinToDie
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't you think if you go from a sword to another sword it would be kinda dumb to "lose skill" in using it?

Well, provided you have a general Fighting skill or something to back you up, no. The Masteries in this case will represent your ability to fight with a certain kind of weapon.
Rech
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add different weapon skills (short blades, long blades, axes, etc) which change your str, dex, agi (or whatever the affecting stat would be) into some sort of +hit and +damage bonuses.

Then steal the 'weapon familiarity' thingie from Silent Storm.. so using the same weapon for a long time starts giving bonuses. If not using the weapon for a while the familiarity would start decreasing slowly, so it wouldnt prevent you from using a bow or some other weapon when necessary.

edit:

Oh, and dont add any of those retarded stat requirements for using equipment (well size and maybe str should affect, if the weapon is really heavy/big), just make good equipment so hard to make that we dont want to give them to newbies for free or anything. Maybe there should be some bonuses if you actually killed the monster that gives the equipment, instead of just buying your stuff.

BatMUD!
Manifold

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of getting a bonus to fighting if you keep using one particular sword - fits in with real life weapon familiarity. Even if you use the same type of weapon, say sword, you won't be as good as with that particular sword you've used for ages.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: