Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teleport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Instead of numerical levels, have some other system. Every single other MMORPG has levels, it works well, but maybe Daria could use something different. I don't know what though, that's why I'm wondering if you guys have ideas.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Kaoryn
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: *Tries to get back on topic* Response. Reply with quote

I agree with Kalorian. The travel 'stones' are a unique idea, with a sense of still keeping it as to where not everyone is traveling everywhere. Also, keeping it to previously visited towns is another great idea. Plus since the stones will have a certain rarity, the 'hagglers' of the community can sell the stones if they wish. Even better, you can make different effects on the stones, like the distance they can travel. Or different effects as to where different colored stones travel to different places. (Ex. Green = towns Yellow=dungeons blue=The 'obelisks' etc) Many ideas can spawn with that, Kal. Don't give up! Wink

~Kao

"An Optimist is the Human Personification of Spring."
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kaoryn - hehe thanks for the support. I believe thewreck isn't much for the idea, haven't had time to speak to Kinten on it.

Anyways time will tell, keep the discussion going guys as it will help us make the ideal decision.
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter jackson has copyright on magical orbs B>
Manifold

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 'magic orbs' are the Palantir. Whoever owns the LOTR license owns them... ;p
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Pre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manifold wrote:
Hmm. Instead of numerical levels, have some other system. Every single other MMORPG has levels, it works well, but maybe Daria could use something different. I don't know what though, that's why I'm wondering if you guys have ideas.

IMO, I would rather have the character gain a level. But on your idea, your weapon could gain experience and the more experience you get, the more weapons. For example, lets say you have a rusty dagger. You use the dagger a lot and soon the experience bar is filled up. Then you have a choice between a short sword or axe. Once you "fill" up a weapon, then you have more options to choose from. I know I didnt perfect this idea, I kind of thought of it just now. But I based it off the skill system in LOTR: Third Age if any of you played that.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first online RPG I played was great. It was all skill based. The only thing levels were for, IMO, was to let you know when you got more skill points to use up. In this manner a fighter could easily learn magic by learning (adding points) into the appropriate skill, or a cleric could learn how to fight with an axe pretty well, or a mage could slap you around with some sweet moves with a quarterstaff.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Ruisleipa
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stant wrote:
The first online RPG I played was great. It was all skill based. The only thing levels were for, IMO, was to let you know when you got more skill points to use up. In this manner a fighter could easily learn magic by learning (adding points) into the appropriate skill, or a cleric could learn how to fight with an axe pretty well, or a mage could slap you around with some sweet moves with a quarterstaff.

Yeah, but skills should develope seperately, so a fighter bashing turtles with a club couldn't become good at fizzling spells. Razz

Stats would be gained from skills thus why common pool experience wouldn't be needed. No max skill limit either, but max stat and max invidual skill limits (or just make one "max" level which wouldn't infact be a max, but instead you could gain a level to the skill with it, eventually. Some redicilous rate, like 5x last skills required number. That'd slow people down but never stop them from developing).

This form of system is much more better and easier to control, since:

1) One cannot permanetely screw up their characters if they develope int as a warrior, for example.
2) You can change class at any time, thus allowing multi-classing, but you wouldn't instantly be good at the other class, ofcourse depending on how the player developed his skills..
3) Longer gameplay, when you get "high enough" skill, you can just develope something else.

"Easy" to implent system that allows user to change his character description (formerly known as "Ruisleipa the fighter" etc in Akarra) by selecting one of the skills; level of the skill would determine the rank, for example: Mundane sword dancer, for low skill double swords user.

They could also be combined to make other class names. You select skills swords level 3 and shield level 6, and you get Paladin of level 4 (middle value of the other skills rounded downwards).

There also could be requirements, for example Paladin with skills sword 20 and shield 24 would only be level 20 paladin, if there was a requirement that needed another skill to be added, for example spellcasting, and futher on, Aura of Example.

Okay, maybe that isn't that easy to develope, but please consider. Razz
Dante
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Stants last post.

Anyone played Fable on the Xbox? Thats what Stant is getting at. (I think Very Happy )

There is an experience pool and the more you fight, the more experience goes into this pool and when you gain a level it adds some bonus experience into the pool. Using this experience you can 'spend' it on skills, the better the skills the more expensive they cost. You could also upgrade any current skills to the next skill level, eg sowrds 1 to swords 2.

In addition to this though there are 3 more pools, Will, Skill, and Physical. Will is magic, Physical is strength + health etc and skill is like archery, guile (stealth) and speed. And the more you use of one type, for example if I used magic alot, 'Will experience' will be put into the will pool (in addition to the normal experience put in the normal pool). This experience is just like normal experience but it can only be used for 'buying' skills from the Will section. Thus you can get very nice multi-classing indeed!

Phew! Read through that and tell me what you think. It worked very well in Fable (which is an excellent game btw) and its one of the best experience systems I've seen.
Ruisleipa
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the problem with exp pool is that it doesn't work that well. Sure, gameplay wise it's fun to most people, but eventually having people going around using fighters or some other "more" faster class to gain exp just to spend exp into player vs player skills.

Ie. in Dransik, there was exp pool. People went fighter and trained the sword skills first, to gain exp even faster, and then started using the gained exp into bow skills. Those people who had been using bows from day one were in major disadvantage, since swords brought exp much faster in, thus in the end resulting in them being stuck with crappy bows while the swordmen having all the nice stuff, including good bows which they could use.

Attribute-based skills don't differ much either. Ofcourse with balancing stuff like that wouldn't happen, but we still have the unrealistic "train with swords to become good with axes, etc" -syndrome. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: