Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Race
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sum Ting Wong
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps, instead of saying, oh i want to be a *instert race here*, and getting stat bonuses, bonses could be given based on where you start. say your a mountain dwelling iwid, you would have a higher cold resistance and be able to breathe more deeply, thus more stamina. or you live in a desert, so your body has adapted to using less water, and thus your more efficient at fighting in the desert, or could use a lighter armor more effectively, because heavy armor is a solar oven with legs. and don't let players choose where exactly they start, have each character start at random, thus making your characters special abilities come at random. if you end up starting in a forest, then you could move faster over more rough terrain, or something like that.

of course, then people may create characters over and over until they start with a bonus they want. maybe make it so you can only create one new character per day?
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Budman - It is natural for the player to make its character different. I've played in a few games where I wanted to play a certain race but could not because its stats didn't match what I wanted to do.. and in reality I could've roleplayed the character how I wanted it, if the game mechanics would've allowed it. But instead I had to change what I wanted to roleplay to fit the game mechanics.

This shouldn't have to happen period. We give players base stats all the same and players then use 10-15 stats to make their character different.

From there I can see them picking a faction to be aligned with from the start. Certain races having problems with other factions (if you knew the background story this would all make sense). But most of the factions accuse each other of a certain event and such which causes tension between factions and races.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you saying that its already been decided that there will be no differnce in stats between Races? If so no more debate is needed.

I have a long back ground in playing RPGs. I usally go against common Race picks. In D&D Dark Elves are my favorite race and I would play them no matter what class I was. I think its odd to figure that every race has the same strenth, agility or speed as each other. In most cases there are more then 1 race that would be good for each class but then again I don't know how many races you plan on having.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In D&D the races have all been carefully balanced and tweeked over the past 30 years. Yes, some races have natural affinities to somethings and other races have them to others. But those natural differences still aren't enough to sway you from going against the norm and playing a race how you want to. Consider it the difference in skill levels. If I wanted to play an elf as a tank, I could. It would be hard, but I could. If I wanted to play an elf as a ranger, well hell, that's simple shit. Kind of insulting to my talents actually if I went that route. But even in an Akarra like game, your starting stats mean nothing after you've gotten 15 to 20 levels and added the points where you wanted to. The only real place you could make a difference would be in the % XP gain, and the increase rates of health, stamina, and mana. And even then, dumping enough points into it easily can counter act that.

But like Bud said, if it's already been decided, there's no point in debating it.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I need to make myself more clear when I post.. but I've said this over and over again, that anything I say in these forums and Community Discussion are my opinions as a player. Yes its possible to be a developer and player of a game title, takes some talent but you just have to be very clear.

Watch my wording, there is a lot of should and would etc.. instead 'of this is how its going to be'

I am gonna add a disclaimer in my signature now Smile
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reguarding Chybi's idea. It's an interesting approach. Ive seen it done before, but I can't remember where. The thing that bugged me the most was I didn't know what weapon raised what attribute... Once I found the one I liked, I felt like I wasted levels testing everything so I had to start over several times. Another thing I was displeased at was that I like to play with my own attributes and make my character my own as well as RP my style and looks. Your way would require a lot of work by me to build my character up the way I want it. Plus, some people RP sword only characters or dagger only characters. That ends up setting them up to all be the same. Finally you're restricting this to weapons... Even if it was distributed across all items, finding the best combo would take a hell of a lot of effort, and again you'd end up with a lot of mirror players. I just like having the say where my stats go.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
BudMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:
This shouldn't have to happen period. We give players base stats all the same and players then use 10-15 stats to make their character different. .

I must have took this statement wrong. Sorry Confused
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We *should*,

definently misworded on my part. As I said its a challenge Smile now that I have my disclaimer up there should be no more confusion hah.
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewreck wrote:
lets state this once and for all:

The philosophy concerning races will be similar to that of akarra:

All races, must be original, except humans.

Woohoo

I'm with Stant on Chybi's idea. It'd be too restricting :-/
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this seems like the best thread to ask in...

Have any races been decided on yet? Will there be mixed races (such as half-elves)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: