Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

List of Friends
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeb
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: List of Friends Reply with quote

Just wanted to post a general question about the "friends list".

Abstract
A friend list is a list over other players that you have actively chosen to be "friends" with. The list will display the character's names and their current online status. Players that are offline may also be displayed, and perhaps with information that tells you how long ago the user was online.

Question
In a previous community discussion it was suggested that you shouldn't be able to detect a player's alternative characters (as in Akarra). This becomes a problem when designing the friends list, because there are a couple of options:

1) The friends list will only show exactly those characters that you have added to the list. That means you have to add each character of a player if you want to be friend with all of that player's characters.
2) The friends list will show whichever character the player is currently using (same as Akarra). Problem here is that it will give away your alternative characters.
3) The friends list will show the player's account name, instead of character name. For example, making friends with "Nelly" would display "Khaile" in the list. This is not a recommended solution, since it's less secure and still can give away your alternative characters.

What do you think? Any other ideas?
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
Fang
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say keep it like akarra had.. it's the best choice..
You could (if it's possible) try to add some kind of a on and off swich for it though. ;p
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's best if all the associates are added to the list when you add add someone, but only the last active characeter of each account will show in the list. There could be a litte button next to name and when press that button all his alts are shown untill you press the button again.
You should be able to delete and add characters to this list, you may not want to have everyone mule character in the list for example
Like this:
__
char |_|
-alt1
-alt2

This may be a litte too complicated =/
The other alternative is to add all the characters you want in the list, including alts and everyother character you want in your list. But there's some problems with this too. If you friend makes a new character you can't see him in your list and this list will be crowded with offline players.

I want to be able to see how long it was since a player was online
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vilinh
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dormeydo's Idea sounds unique and would be a cool feature, but if its to hard the classic Akarra way would be the next best choice. One thing I would add to the friends list would be an enemy list. If there someone that is on that you want to pk (Kind of evil thinking here) that person would be on your enemy list. There would be no benefits to this only having the satisfaction of knowing he is online without you having to add this to the Friend list.

Good luck on Daria. May there be no lagg
TbbW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or why not combine it with them both:

acountname[player] [ ]

cout << accountname << "[" << charname << "] [" << blocked << "]";

maby hold ctrl to get info on what other char's that account holder got.
and normal klick works like in akarra "/t name" Smile
and also maby do color codes for the ppl.
like:
orange = guild members.
blue = admins.
red = pk list ( mentioned by poster abowe me )
yellow = normal foes.

Smile
jeb
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vilinh wrote:
Dormeydo's Idea sounds unique and would be a cool feature, but if its to hard the classic Akarra way would be the next best choice. One thing I would add to the friends list would be an enemy list. If there someone that is on that you want to pk (Kind of evil thinking here) that person would be on your enemy list. There would be no benefits to this only having the satisfaction of knowing he is online without you having to add this to the Friend list.

Yes... maybe two lists? One "people tracker" that detects if a certain character is online, and one "friends list" that keeps the account names of your friends and their online status.

The lists would work differently though... The friends list will, for example, ask the targetted player for permission before adding her to your list (similar to instant messaging services).

More ideas?
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
Vilinh
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess we add on more organizable features. How about on your friends list, you can group your friends in a sub-group. This would mainly be for guilds or clans, but just remembering this is daria, maybe it could also be for races too. Also (Hypotheticly speaking if there will still be mages, fighters and clerics since I am not sure of what has changed) you could group your friends in this category too. It would be useful in an FS, if you were slaying a boss and needed alot of fighters as meatshields, or just to kill it in a brute strike. As for races, I dont know if there are any advantages and disadvantages of being a certain race, but in the end, this grouping system would only help you.

Good luck on Daria. May there be no lagg
TbbW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh folders wuld be nice to have Razz
i.e friends and foes Wink
( and jeb_ it feals kinda nice to come with ideas without worrying about if it's hard or easy to code lol )
Minty
Posts until end: 940

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definetly say no to the third option, but suggest a combination of the first and second. What if the friends list worked the way it did in Akarra, showing every alt of an account, but you couldn't specifically look up all the characters on an account? I don't remember what the objections to being able to look up all the characters were, but this method would at least make someone have to work a bit to find alt characters.

I also very much like the idea of being able to organize the list by fighter/mage/cleric, considering how useful that could be for fellowshipping, which as we all know is everything that is good in the world.
AquaritsBR
Posts until end: 940

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 lists?
1 for the char name and other to acc name?

Visite : http://paginas.terra.com.br/lazer/akarriansoul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: