Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chatting in Daria
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anarion
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Chatting in Daria Reply with quote

Me and my cuz (known in WiA as Grimreaper or Gilgalad)were talking about this in the south of france in the summer Razz
In WiA, you could obviously use the /tell command to talk to anyone you wanted around the map of akarra, however, this wasnt very realistic, talking to someone who could be ages away from your current possition, although i have to say it did make it very convenient for you.
now are the dev team going for an easier,quicker way to chat to people at long distances or are they going for a slightly more realistic effect?

If they chose the quicker, more convinient way, then so be it, i know many people would prefer it that way as it is the simplest way to chat to people, however, we were thinking if you could maybe buy say a carrier pigeon from an NPC, you could maybe buy paper, a quill and ink from them as well, this would make far more realistic gameplay

to make this idea fair for players the pigeon would obviously be durable, as long as you dont sell or drop it, it would stay with you forever, the ink and quil would also not run out but the paper would.

I would like to know what people think of this idea and maybe it could be taken into account in the game when it arrives Very Happy

good luck guys
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. If any reads Terry Pratchett novels, they should have come across a system called the clacker. Basically, messages are transferred great distances between tall towers via a pattern of light-and-dark on a huge fire against a blind. Rather like morsecode. Each person of the Discworld novel had an address associated with the clacker, and thus, a person could send messages huge distances to each other..

Now, something similar could be done in Daria.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Anarion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm yea, exactly... Confused lol i didnt really understand much of that lol, but i think it will make sence to readers with an IQ over 90 Razz
Pre

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Chatting in Daria Reply with quote

Anarion wrote:
In WiA, you could obviously use the /tell command to talk to anyone you wanted around the map of akarra, however, this wasnt very realistic, talking to someone who could be ages away from your current possition, although i have to say it did make it very convenient for you.

Geez get up to date, they're called cell phones.
Chip_spike_21
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Indeed Reply with quote

Hey, this is GilGalad. The Clackers and Pigeon ideas are fantastic. Although for the Clacker to talk place, once area (the tower) would be jam packed 24/7, and for the pigeon idea, people may criticise or find it pointless. Apart from us three of course whom think our ideas are mavellous.

Now perhaps, and i pardon Anarion for not talking to him about this, a "skill" would be a good idea. Telepathy. Then earning it would become an honor, like it would be to write in the Middle Ages. People may ask you to send a message for them. Hell you could make a living from it. It's just a thought. The skill would be open to all classes. I mean, who DOESN'T want to be telepathic?

GilGalad
Manifold

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarion wrote:
erm yea, exactly... Confused lol i didnt really understand much of that lol, but i think it will make sence to readers with an IQ over 90 Razz

Basically, a huge morse code network using towers that flash light at each other.

Anarion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice
Nazzy
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as realistic as the idea is i dont think that anything like the carrior pidgeon could ever be used in a game it could ruin it instantaly as an mmorpg. However the other idea is basicaly justifying the current system if im not mistaken?
Manifold

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaguely, Nazzy. It'd still require people to go to a place to get messages sent, not instant communication everywhere. Besides, you don't know whether the other person will be there to read his clackermail at that instant.

Anarion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, naz has a fair point, hmm i think i take my idea back unless you could carry an axe with you and cut down a tree to 'somehow' make it into paper lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: