Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DoD vs. New WiA (Ori's Server)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Gossip
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boddah
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: DoD vs. New WiA (Ori's Server) Reply with quote

Well, it has been brought to my attention that the WiA server was released and Origon has started an old WiA server. In just a short time, it has become rather popular. I have been told that there are plans to 'improve' the old game (Add things, make the world larger, change the whole first sector), in turn, making it a new game.

Does anyone, other than myself, see the problem with 2 Akarra engine based games splitting the same community? It is pointless to improve WiA when DoD is under construction, because the inevitable end is that the community stands divided, players' time is divided, and both games, lacking communities, fail. I understand that games compete for communties just by nature, but the separation of this community is unnecessary.

I think having the old server up for some fun while the community waits for DoD is a great idea, but when you start improving it and competing with DoD for players, it becomes a problem. I think that the owners, operators, and 'developers' of the new WiA server are planting seeds for an early end to DoD.
Sum Ting Wong
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im planning on going back to dod when it comes out, i mean the akarra server is great and all, and its sweet having updates, but i think i recall tal saying that they're limited to the first sector and a dungeon sector, and they can't add more sectors without the sourcecode. they also can't add any new groundbreaking features or anything without the sourcecode. so i plan on heading back to DoD when its finally released.

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Nazzy
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put it bluntly, there are 2 sectors which can be modified, and i think 2 total dungeon maps that can be. But althought the nostaliga of akarra was great, i belive that DoD offers alot more than Wia in its present state ever can, for example magic (dunno if it will be in DoD like) In Wia we cant really put anymore magic into effect without source code +1 DoD. and just things like that the editors are fairly powerful but the source is needed in alot of cases.

And to be honest, the player base will never really be split, there are some now that akarra is back, that will not play DoD i guarentee you of that. However I belive this helps DoD tremendously for the simple fact this is not Akarra 2, the only reason that this game has inherited the player base is because it uses the same engine. This thread shows that people still do not understand it is a completely seperate game, and although some similarities are sure to occur, it may end up being nothing like how we ever wanted akarra to look like, which is i belive there goal Razz.

Also this game, will not suffer a lack of players i dont think, because of the growing need for constantaly developing and free MMORPG's That is of course provided that they can mantain this with the free aspect to it. Even if that isnt achievable it will still pull a certain number of people for its look alone compared to other 2D mmorpg's that look they were taken from the playerworlds software *shudders*

So basicaly, DoD has far more development power than the released Wia and because of this it will draw people back and new people to the community.
jeb
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely said, Nazzy. You're right on the spot!

About sectors... We tried adding another world sector (1x3y, to the right of the current one), and it worked just fine. It took us 2 years to build the first sector, and even then most if it was empty (such as the large plains in the south), so I don't think people will run out of space any time soon.
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
Minty
Posts until end: 940

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably bum around on the WiA... but run faithfully to DoD when it comes out Smile But hey, who said we couldn't do both... if I can just perfect the technique of never having to sleep, everything should be OK.
Xofia
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, most of us will probably return to DoD whenever a public release comes out... but for now, I'll be playing Akarra and looking forward to new stuff. And it's not like we can't play both at once... now that I'm in my 50's and levelling has slowed a little, I find myself idling a lot - during my idling time I could be playing Daria, and vice versa, heh.
Erevan
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds interesting.... where can i aquire the information for this server?
Eponick
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://origon.talonz.com/
Thats Ori's server, dunno about any of the other ones though.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huge difference between the two.

The praised, beloved, heavensent Akarra reborn's dev team does not have access to source codes. This, in turn (correct me if I'm wrong), means:

- Clerics will always have to heal using the same impractical interface. You won't get to click the names to cast the spell. R.I.P.
- You won't be able to move while doing something else. It'll be the same old semi-statue wars. R.I.P.
- Any formulas that turn up to be unbalanced or impractical cannot be altered, they'll have to, at best, adapt every item's stats to these formulas (I'm talking chance to hit, chance to fizzle, etc)
- Death penalties will remain the same...
- Banks?
- You won't get the following clan/guild features:
* New members (or for leaders, pending members) automatically fall into friends list
* There will be no technical rankings aside from member and leader
* /glist and /gdlist will still look helplessly messy without features such as sort members by rank/name for /glist or sort clans by diplomatic status for /gdlist
- Existent bugs will remain existent. These include:
* Players on the pending list will be able to harass the /g
* /ignore won't ignore /s messages (I consider this a bug Wink)
R.I.P.

I could think of tons more. Like, this. ^^

Akarra reborn is just nostalgia, DoD is the future. But sure, I guess some like nostalgia. Wink
Talonz
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not going to continue forever obviously, but I think some players are happy to return and have some fun with it while it lasts. For me, I'm going to Dawn of Daria when it comes out, I don't know if I'll still be making maps on origon's server once DoD starts up. Sure enquillion, those are all true but people are still playing and still were despite that. For now this is a place where I can enjoy myself waiting for DoD to come out or something else to happen.

This... This must be a nightmare! Those eyes... It's like looking into the eyes of the diablo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Gossip All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: