Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clan/Guild Uniforms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal... Don't make me pimpslap you for calling a clan a guild... Do I have to post the differences between the two on this forum too?
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Chybi
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tell that Dev Stant!

/me hides

The Ranger without a cause.

Note to self: When faced with Human stupidity at it's best, RUN LIKE HELL
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stant, maybe clan and guild mean the same thing in Daria. ┬ŽE
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Stant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They shouldn't. It would be pointless, stupid, and a waste of time to program in two of the exact same things just with different names.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Pre
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

er, I thought clans and guilds were basically the same thing.
Ruisleipa
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre wrote:
er, I thought clans and guilds were basically the same thing.

Guilds are larger versions of clans basicly, atleast that's how I've always felt.

I don't know how they'll make it in Daria, but we've got to remember it's another game. Smile

I like Thandrophirs idea except for the cursor part. Make it as an option to the Akarra style, for both have their uses.
Stant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* I guess I must say it here. Guilds are not larger versions of clans, at least not by that interpretation alone. First, definitions.

Clan - Noun - 1. A traditional social unit in the Scottish Highlands, consisting of a number of families claiming a common ancestor and following the same hereditary chieftain. 2. A division of a tribe tracing descent from a common ancestor. 3. A large group of relatives, friends, or associates.

Guild - Noun - 1. An association of persons of the same trade or pursuits, formed to protect mutual interests and maintain standards. 2. A similar association, as of merchants or artisans, in medieval times.

There is a huge difference between the two. Clans are good to represent friends and families who have banded together, as was the case in Akarra. Guilds are people whom share a trade, interest, or hobby, as is not the case in many ORPGs. As I commented in the tradeskills thread, having tradeskills would encourage guilds. The Miners Guild set prices on gems that cannot be purchaced from NPCs. The Brazillian Kingdom Clan has declared war on the Unseen University Clan. You see the difference? How this will be in Dawn of Daria, I don't know, nor do I think the devs know yet either. But at least for accuracy I hope they separate the two and make it so you can be in either, none, or both as per the definitions of each.
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in general Stant, your saying they are the samething?

Its grouping players into one group for a common cause whether it be through family ties (Clans) or professions/interests (guilds)

So yes they are the same, will they be the same in Daria? I can't confirm or deny at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tad bit over generalizing it... Most people are saying clans are small band of people and guilds are the same thing only larger. While that is true in it's most general form, the purpose for the formation of each is entirely different. Clans are people who do their own thing, have thier own goals, and only rally together because they are the same family or follow the same leader. That is a political grouping of people. Guilds however are groupings of tradespeople. They all share the same interest and goals for their profession and/or trade. This is an economical grouping of people.

Say your last name is Johnson and you work as a truck driver. Everybody whom has the family name Johnson is your clan. You all come from the same lineage, you're all the same family thus you all share the same family name. That is a clan.

Everybody you work with are truckers and all belong to the Teamsters Union. Truckers get paid well because they all got together and collectively demanded a pay rate that everybody has to agree to or else no truck driver will work for them. That teamsters union that you are in is your guild.

Yes they are both groups of people, that's why you can be in both, but the purpose for the existence of each is entirely different. Clans go to war, guilds protect business.
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm I think you look to deeply into the meaning of the 2 for a game.

Guilds - WoW, Lineage 2, "Guild Wars", Everquest, Everquest 2 (I think) etc..

Clans - Starcraft, Diablo II, Counterstrike, Half-life, Age of Empires, etc..

Squads - World War II Online, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Aces High (Fighter Squadrons), etc..

Notice the trends?

We as a gaming community have recreated and redefined many words. There is a point in doing that, its what we accept and sometimes its what is more fun. Am I saying dividing the meaning in Daria is no fun? No.. on the contrary I have no clue if the community would like the idea or not..

All the above have the same meaning.. a group to accomplish something. Guilds aren't just for trading and business.. that would be Trade Guilds Smile .

Its an interesting concept to divide the process of forming a group (guild..clan.. fellowship.. party.. squad... my aunt bessie) in Daria, but would it make sense with the faction based gameplay the game is being designed around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: