Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mount Issues.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Mount Issues. Reply with quote

There are some issues about mounts I'd like to put on the table.

In the game most of us come from, WiA, barely no one liked the way the mounts worked. I have thought of (and ripped to be honest) some ideas that would be more suitable.

Mount Buying
Mounts shouldn't be taken lightly. It's a time saver and it makes the player look better. The mounts in WiA were quite cheap. You could get a mount pretty fast which made them less rare in a general aspect.
Relating to my following ideas, I think mounts should be more expensive. It should require the player to save up for a decent time.

Mount Happiness
Mounts get a special meter. A happiness meter. A meter that shows how happy they are. Unhappy, content and happy. When unhappy for a specific period of time your mount 'dies' or another way to put it he leaves you. When he's content, nothing is wrong, he acts normal. When he's happy he has more spirit to aid you and that should benefit the player. What currently comes to my mind is gaining speed, not 50% more or something but 5/10%.
The happiness is maintained by giving it it's appropiate food. Each mount can eat different food.

No more 'refilling' the horse as if it's a car
Let the mount be permanently sticked to you (except for if you sell it or it's unhappy). You pay for the food it eats to keep it happy, if it stays happy then the mount wants to stay with you. All a player will have to do is keep his mount content or happy, no paying to 'refill' it's bar.

Better mounts, better speed
In higher levels you get acces to areas further away. This requires more travelling. Players should get the opportunity to buy better mounts then their current ones. Perhaps 'upgrade' it, give it enchanted armor so it looks both better and its faster. Perhaps a quest related to it, an enchanter willing to enchant armor specificly made for you horse to enhance it's speed and power. At a cost though, always at a cost. The mounts should only be able to be bought by rich players considering the things you get in return for it.

The suggestions I made I believe to be more realistic then the way it worked before and I think this is a good system to consider.

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like all the suggestions except for the first one, i'd like to see different kinds of mounts, some causing respect (some mythical beast) and others for the lower levels (mule)

and mounts should have a /trot and /gallop command, with trot being walking speed and gallop being its running speed, that way you could keep pace with your friends on foot.

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Drogla
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would agree with both of you

Lower level mounts (mules, donkeys, ponys) should be relativly cheaper, lower/easier maintanance (a few carrots, soem grain, ...) and the 'higher level' mounts would be much A. cooler looking B. more expensive C. harder to maintain (some eat only certain types of meat..like Lions or soemthing)

So...what are you feelings about capturing/taming animals? It would require special tools and such,, or soemthign like wounding it->capturing->healing it(creates a bond, so it is ridable) or Magic....somethign o that sort?
It would make sence for the 'mythical creatures'. For the lower level beasts...very easy to tame, but they are hard to find wild and untamed simply becuase they are all for sale

Yea...i like the Ultima Online mount system-being able to buy your mount or tame it--just some tweeks to it
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'd be cool if daria had packs of horses(dunno the proper name for them) like the american west, just roaming around, and to tame them you'd need a group of people to herd them around, something like that.

for capturing other mounts, perhaps you stumble accross the eggs of a dragon youve just slain (even though dragons won't be in dod i dont think...) and so you take the egg and raise it as your own.

Archosseus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sum Ting Wong wrote:
i like all the suggestions except for the first one, i'd like to see different kinds of mounts, some causing respect (some mythical beast) and others for the lower levels (mule)

I never said I didn't want that either, did I? Wink

Drogla wrote:
So...what are you feelings about capturing/taming animals? It would require special tools and such,, or soemthign like wounding it->capturing->healing it(creates a bond, so it is ridable) or Magic....somethign o that sort?
It would make sence for the 'mythical creatures'. For the lower level beasts...very easy to tame, but they are hard to find wild and untamed simply becuase they are all for sale

I like the idea of taming creatures and forming a mount. I have to say though that such things should only be done by experts.. Let some classes with a strong connection to nature be able to do it. If that doesn't satisfy then let there be a skill you have to learn through some time training you in taming creatures.

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i had some thoughts as to more interesting stuff to do with mounts, here goes:

Forced Dismount
Ok, pretty much what it sounds like, say your ride your horse into a guy with a warhammer and he nails you with it, your knocked off of your horse and can't remount it for a certain period of time/the horse keeps going a little ways so you can't immediately get back on.

Certain weapons would have different requirements to knock a man off of his mount, for instance swords i don't think should be able to accomplish this, whereas with a heavy axe or hammer you could knock them off with a critical blow, and using spears/pikes/halbreds, you have a very high chance to knock them off.

the % chance to knock the rider off would be determined by the class and weapon skill of one attacker and the class and defensive skills of the defender, thus making jousting a possible past time in daria (which i would have to admit would be pretty cool).

Certain classes would be more accustomed to fighting on mounts than others, so a knight would be bonuses whilst fighting on horseback, because all a knight is is really a warrior on horseback, thus giving him a bonus for a F.D., and a bonus against being knocked off.

Mount Specific Weapon Bonuses

Okay, idea #2, have certain weapons recieve a bonus while fighting on the back of a mount, for instance, spears/lances doing bonus damage for obvious reasons, at least as long as the attacker was moving right before the attack, or a curved sword gaining a bonus while on horseback, since a slashing sword is easier to use than a stabbing sword on horseback, because a straight sword could become stuck in the opponent, knocking the rider off. pretty much just certain weapons being more effective while on mounts (this could be applied defence wise as well, with mounts similar to elephants providing a defense bonus)

Flying Mounts

I was trying to think of a way to make flying mounts work and be balanced, so no one could just hover around above a group of people and just shoot at them, and here are my basic ideas

-Confine ariel mounts to using melee weapons that they must get close for to use (not one i favor)

-Cause the mount to get on ground level during an attack run, allowing it to be attacked by anyone on the ground (this is my favorite idea so far, especially if you could dismount the rider), but once they are no longer attacking they're free to ride off over trees or water or whatever to escape.

Those are my main ideas, just critique them how you please

Drogla
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the first idea-dont forget to factor in differences to knock someone off their horse if you are on a horse. Your at an even level, rather then reaching up, making it more possible with swords and such, though still unlikely

Second idea-all peachy there

third idea-archers on a flying mount dont need to get as close, but melee weapons (impractical) would. With archers, their should be a risk of harming your mount if it has wings. Mages wouldnt need to get so close either though. This would be a VERY large advantage-clying mounts need to have high level requirements (at LEAST lv 50 or something, by akarra terms-most likely much higher)
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking some form of needing to be lowered to the ground so that people could retaliate and you couldn't just hover over someone in an open field and kill them without them being able to touch you. so the archers/mages wouldn't need to be right next to each other, just be vulnerable to attack. i also threw in the melee thing because that way knights can have something to do (think the beast swoops down and the knights slashes at some of the enemies then flies off again)

and yeah, i like your ideas on the dismount thing, swords should have a small chance while mounted, and being mounted againsta mounted oppoenent should greatly increase the ability to dismount an oppoenent.

Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just killing the mount.

That of course brings up a mount armor topic. Wink
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic and discussion. I was not familiar with how mounts worked in WiA and this was a good read for me. I've noted a few things and when this comes up I will be sure to check my notes. I am not sure where mounts rank on the production list I would think maybe 150 to 175 on the post release updates Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: