Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public devlog 7/5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Development of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinten
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Public devlog 7/5 Reply with quote

Public devlog 7/5

NOTE: Everything you see is Work in Progress, meaning, we intend to replace/change/improve as time goes on.

Some screens for thoose of you who are still waiting. Finally we can show off the progress of the gui, after much hard work by the programming department. Still a long way to go though. Currently we are testing pA2 inhouse. Trying to pick-up rose, but failing miserably.
As we are looking for new members to join us, the current dev-team is working as hard as ever, and they're doing a fantastic job, as can be seen not only in the screenshots, but also in the community management, artwork and so forth. I'm sure you've all met our new programmers, Sandog and TobiasKnight, but I'd also like to introduce you to our first sound technician LostChocolateLab. The homepage is on it's way, as it has been for a while (mostly due to the leads inability to decide on a final design), but it's pretty much shaped up for release, it just lacks contents. Now, on to the screens!

[UPDATE] About the bunnies, you'll see that they're bunnies when you see their animation.

Last edited by kinten on Sat May 07, 2005 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vilinh
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!!!!!! Nice its great to see that you guys are working hard. Thanks for the effort.

Good luck on Daria. May there be no lagg
Drogla
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uber awsome
i soooooooo wanna play right now.....
uber, uber awsome..
LookinToDie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great! Thank you guys! <3

Oh, and but for sign reading "bunny" I would never have guessed what it was! It looks rather like an Evil Toad King :Р
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
LazaRuz
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Shocked Keep up the good work guys

Death is only the beginning

Aka Lucifer^ ,LazZ^, Xaim
Nazzy

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh so relaxing to see the familiar parts of the gui Smile, but its just tempting us now :\ its like that chocolate cake that you just cant reach not even if u jump :\
JuliusCaesar
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good, Hopefully the game will be done by summer, atleast for beta testing. if you ever need a tester...

/me points to himself.
Origon
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hands Nazzy a stepladder to get that cake*

Good job devs, nice screenies.

The minimap looks rather...weird though. Might just be my lack of interpretation of its colors/symbols
jellocube27
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty rad, though some of the GUI looks a tad inconsistent.

Here's some examples.

The crops (first screen) look too obviously patterned, and I feel the boat (second screen) does not fit at all.

The house (second screen) seems very different from those which we saw in akarra- it is much more stylized. I'm not sure if it fits with the setting or if I've just grown too much on Akarra, though the sprite itself is very well drawn.

The cliffs (first screen) are well drawn, though might I suggest them fading in color from the top ledge of the cliff to the bottom? It is very hard to distinguish them as a true height modifier as they are now, without any real prespective and whatnot. Maybe you could even draw it in a 1/4 view?

The rabbit (first screen) and some of the miscellaneous sprites (second screen) are too hard to distinguish. It seems as if the artist drew them knowing exactly what every pixel represented, though the player may have to struggle and use their imagination. Even if the sprites are more "symbolic" references to what they represent, they should be easier to make out.

What the hell is in the upperhand corner of the second screen? Is that a fallen ice cream sunday?

The minimap is hard on my eyes.

The dock (second) is too fat when shown running vertically. If this is a small detail of perspective, it is inconsistent with the cliff, player sprites, et cetera.

The bulbous things the bottom corner of either screen could be some odd mushrooms, a nasty fungus (possible hostile?), or any other number of things. I like how they look, and they really fit the environment. Such random natural-looking things growing throughout Daria really sets the mood for it being a far off, fantasy realm.

The barrels/rope bunches (second screen) are too commonly placed on the second screen. It takes away from the realism. Why can't those damn pirates just throw all the rope in a big pile instead of randomly putting it about the map? Plus, the barrels are hella big. I could fit TWO in that boat at most, and I could fit my player in one several times.

The picket fence around the crops (first) is also oversized. It is about the size of my player. While some fences may reach this height, I do not think one meant to keep out small rodents would- they can just hop on betweent the posts! No wonder the garden is infested with toad-looking rabbits.

I like the cave enterance (first). However, it gets rather grainy around the edges, and then transitions to a smoothly-drawn cliff. This is a very picky comment, but nevertheless.

I enjoy Ryp's art as much as the next guy, though I must attest to his shading. The lineart shading goes right up to the photoshop shading, and the photoshop shading is very light. Whilst it may be his style, I am not perticuarlly fond of it.. I would rather the lineart shading have a smoother transitition into the photoshop job. Also, could we get a nice border around the NPC pic?

Will 640x480 be abolished all together?

Otherwise, it looks like it's coming along nicely. The new GUI, while a tad bare at the moment, looks great! With a little more percise art direction, I think this could turn out to be one of the best 2D MMORPG's yet.

Last edited by jellocube27 on Sat May 07, 2005 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Development of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: