Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Admins in Daria
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewreck - either system is gonna have its pros and cons.

I see more cons with allowing one person an admin delete an account. I would have less problem with the community warning me through reports.. that I am doing wrong etc.. to give me a chance to shape up and change some.. and then through further 'stupid acts' be reported enough to where an admin would then display all the reports through possibly an e-mail or IRC and then tell the player whats gonna happen if things don't change.

That way the player doesn't feel like the admin him/herself is making the decision.. which could lead to bias activity.

Let the player community do the reports and the admin staff watch the compiled reports or get alerted when X amount of reports are made etc..

but again either way you were to go there would be pros and cons.. I just see the above as more feasible and acceptable.
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the sound of the first idea. There weren't enough people in Akarra who could be trusted with admin status, and it meant that there wasn't always someone around to deal with things like spamming and offensive names, which could be a temporary problem but be gone by the time anyone got an admin in-game.

If a few more people well known around the forums and IRC had the power to change names or maybe to mute, that could be dealt with. If the target of the 'moderator' action had a problem, they could always report the time and place, and the server could be checked to make sure that power isn't being abused. Being a moderator for some time could even be a step towards gaining the trust to become an admin.

The karma system sounds pretty complicated, but based on the attitudes of some players towards others last game, I reckon it would be used for the wrong reasons, as Dw said.
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, as I said each has their own 'pros' and 'cons' but having a few 'members' of the community being moderators could suggest bias actions, letting their friend off the hook this time and then taking a guild enemy more seriously and not cutting slack.

If we are going to have moderators they need to come from OUTSIDE this game community and not ones that play the game.

No mater how you look at it Bias actions will hit the community with members being moderators. Everytime we talk or interact with a person we already have an idea of how we feel about the person, whether we like that person etc.. and this type of free 2d MMORPG community I doubt has many members that could put that biased opinion aside to be in such a position. (no offense to this community.. from my past experiences)

The Karma system would be monitored and would inform an admin after X amount of reports by 'different' accounts. So one person could not sit there and report a player 10 times for stealing his rabbit fur. The Karma system again gives the Community the power to weed out the kids that want to act immature and such.

Again my opinions.
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play? We don't play... We test. =|
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Rech
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give admins a spell that destroys a random piece of equipment and removes 5% of the targets exp. That would make people think twice before doing anything stupid, but wouldnt stop people from creating these lvl 1 chars and start flooding. Maybe a level limit for certain public channels and pkilling, so it would take a while to build a character they can make trouble with, and would have something to lose.

If there wouldnt be any penalties for occasional pkilling, then the players could take care of spammers, etc. Of course you should be punished for killing someone 24/7. These kind of games seem to attract bad players though (easy to play, so you can train a monkey to make exp for you).. so not sure how free pkilling would work.

Oh, and ignore that actually works would be nice too..

BatMUD!
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stant wrote:
Play? We don't play... We test. =|

Ssssh.. don't shatter his illusions.. ;]
Rech wrote:
Give admins a spell that destroys a random piece of equipment and removes 5% of the targets exp.

I like that idea, still it wouldn't really bother people who have created lvl1. characters who just want to spam. Unless if you go into minus exp, your char is destroyed.. (Plus, there's no such thing as 'random').
Rech wrote:
Maybe a level limit for certain public channels and pkilling

I've played several games like that, and when the community is small-ish, I found it split up the community, there was less community spirit.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Ruisleipa
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like Rechs idea. In addition it could paralyze the target to stand still for ~2 mins without being able to do anything and also please do re-intorduce admin muting. Smile
Dw
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruisleipa wrote:
Well, I like Rechs idea. In addition it could paralyze the target to stand still for ~2 mins without being able to do anything and also please do re-intorduce admin muting. Smile

I agree. Never underestimate the infinity of human stupidity, big guns will be needed Neutral
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an /ignore command that ignores all kinds of messages from someone is all I'd really need...
Mabus
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its scary to think that 10 people could get together and report lies about you and you could get your account banned. I don't like the Karma Idea one bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: