Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Admins in Daria
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Admins in Daria Reply with quote

I'm not sure how and if admins will be implemented in the same way as Akarra, but I can only guess that it will (judging from other MMORPGS that I've played).

Usually, there are two types of players - the admin and the commoner. The admin has all the powers of the gaming world: summoning, teleportation etc. The commoner has none of these. I propose that a third rank be created - one that would act as a stepping stone between the commoners and the admins - call them moderators..

These moderators will have power to delete characters if their names are inappropriate, monitor language in channels to prevent racist remarks. That's it. They won't have any other admin powers.

Comments?
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Dw
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power to delete characters? Even admins didn't have that in akarra AFAIK, and imho only developers should have such power. Imagine an ill-tempered admin going on a killing spree.. no thanks :E
And I also find monitoring chats comparable to gestapo or something like that. atleast limit it so guild/clanchats can't be monitored by admins/moderators, they could simply ie. steal craft recipes just by spying on a clan crafting stuff. Wink
Pacce
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ransk.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have these moderators if they were hardcore developers. Someone addicted to playing the game, nopers, too risky. :/
Manifold

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just power to deny creation of characters with offensive names.. (My main concern is really stupid names that aren't vaguely RP-ish.)

Thanquol
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that veterans to WiA and it's community should be considered - obviously requiring the right personality.
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a point Manifold. I can understand what you mean by vague inappropiate names but i remember Whispers in Akarra having a notice at the beginning before creating a character telling that Inappropiate names would get deleted like EvOlUtiOn.. as far as i remember it wasn't allowed. Not that i have proof of the admins deleting them...

Ransk (Dw) is right though, it would be better if only Lead Developers or highly trusted administrators would have the ability to delete names, or force a player to change it in a period of time like a day. Rolling Eyes

It would be nice to have these so called 'Moderators' to have them kick, or ban for a period of time people using swearing words, racistical or any way of offense, like you said. Though i rather more would call it a 'Guard' then. So they have another function ingame.. having an opportunity to stop mass PK'ing by kicking them off. Though it could be missused as said before... hmm.

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Manifold

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All boils down to trust I guess. It would work effectively, providing the right people are found..

Thanquol wrote:
I believe that veterans to WiA and it's community should be considered - obviously requiring the right personality.

Drawing on WiA's userbase would make it highly viable.. yes.

Anarion
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archosseus wrote:
You have a point Manifold. I can understand what you mean by vague inappropiate names but i remember Whispers in Akarra having a notice at the beginning before creating a character telling that Inappropiate names would get deleted like EvOlUtiOn.. as far as i remember it wasn't allowed. Not that i have proof of the admins deleting them...

Ransk (Dw) is right though, it would be better if only Lead Developers or highly trusted administrators would have the ability to delete names, or force a player to change it in a period of time like a day. Rolling Eyes

It would be nice to have these so called 'Moderators' to have them kick, or ban for a period of time people using swearing words, racistical or any way of offense, like you said. Though i rather more would call it a 'Guard' then. So they have another function ingame.. having an opportunity to stop mass PK'ing by kicking them off. Though it could be missused as said before... hmm.

many good points, maybe the 'guards/moderators' could threaten to report you to a dev/admin and they could do what they wish, however, like in WiA the admins had the sign next to their name, i advise the guards/mods to have some sort of sign to stop common users scamming others and messing thier accounts up for no reason, if you get what i meen.

Just a thought
Rech
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope there will be decent admin tools in Daria.. or the admins will probably commit suicide or at least write a poem about their suffering. In Akarra we couldnt really do anything or know anything about anything :E
You had to type in the goddamn commands and all we really could was to mute people (or whine to idling devs who wouldnt even do anything about flooders etc.), and guessing coordinates was kinda hard. It was also nice to try to reset bugging guests without knowing their names and crap like that..

Devs, please spend some time working on the admin tools.. it will improve the athmosphere, make the community better and playing more fun.

BatMUD!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: