Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Walking NPCs...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nazzy
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe Eckard and syke rocked Smile jus tfor the fact that, it gave you soemthing different to do, i mean sure some people may find it a pain but everyone had an idea of where he would be at some point, expecially when i found out he went to hope :E although i think that may have been a route extension ;p but yea as long as its not too extreem i like wondering NPC's
Vilinh
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i think it added more fun to the game. It was cool to have ur friends go on weekly searches for eckard once they finished his quests. One thing i would change though would to be give them a house or somthin to stay at during the night so you cuold find them easier. During the day its fine to look for them.

Good luck on Daria. May there be no lagg
Minty
Posts until end: 940

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved eckard too... though sometimes he was really annoying.
But seriously, he had his own little fan club all the time. Whenever he came into town, he would be greated by joyous shots of "ECKY!!!"
It was also nice that he was something the players could change about the physical world; you could delay ecky for your friends, which was nice.
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Eckard used to make his round about every 20 minutes. If you knew one stop of his, you could always wait in that place at most 20 minutes (plus delay time from any players stopping him) to catch him.
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manifold wrote:
Your favourite NPC was Eckard? As far as I can remember, the most hated NPC was Eckard. He was notoriously unpredictable. A lot of the time, he got stuck on edges of maps because of some.. questionable path finding?

I recall a voteing about this in the akarra forum...

Yay, found it!, please look at this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't love him or anything but you can't have a (MMO)RPG without walking NPC's. I can imagine people didn't like to run after him or wait for him but like Enquillion said before: It's not a must.

Walking NPC's bring life in a game. Eckard had a long route to walk but not all NPC's need to have that. Think about it: Would you want to see every NPC stand stiff? You don't have a lot of things.. bartenders not checking tables, guards not patrolling, fishermans not fishing, scouts not scouting and more. The game would be way more lifeless then if there were walking NPC's.

Eckard was one of the most realistic NPC's. How could he collect his default inventory without adventuring? How could he know about monsters and way more if he never left his position?

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish they'd fight monsters too.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
catslayer
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stant wrote:
I just wish they'd fight monsters too.

Hmmm. There may be some difficulties: NPC may
- get killed
- gather a large group of monsters and get stuck for a while
- distort natural (PC) balance =)
- do something else "bad" I can't think of now...

But if everything's thought-out this will animate the game. Just imagine n00bs trying to party with NPC... =))
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill-stealing NPCs. Heh.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well some NPC's touted themselves as being great fighters... Then we had 'events' where they just stood there as monsters flooded in around them...

The easy way to prevent them from being killed is to simply give them an insanely high amount of hit points.

As for getting stuck with monters... Monsters roam, so do the NPCs... Yes they're going to fight, but as long as the monsters aren't too difficult (Seriously, Eckard and Syke could easily handle the monsters on the penninsula if they wanted too...) there shouldn't be a problem there.

I don't know what's meant by distort natural balance, I can't think of any way it would affect a PC unless a monster that was fighting a group of PCs decides to break off the attack and go for the NPC thus triggering a fight response from that NPC. I don't really think a NPC fighter should have a kill on sight mentality, but they should have a monsters are a few steps from me, now they're my problem, die die die... If these NPC's still only floated around Newbie areas this would give a new player a small safety blanket should they be in trouble and need help, they see a roaming NPC and get close to it and monsters get handled... Even if a couple much more powerful NPCs floated around in stronger areas, they should still be able to take care of themselves or else they shouldn't be alone... Of course they should also have a respawn point should the event of their death actually does occure by some freak chance. Hell, I'd love to see a travelling band of gypsies that travel great distances and roam through very tough areas and kill off the random attackers that they come across. They'd have goods from lots of different places and have their own guards to fight with and healers to make sure none of them get taken out... Now that would be bad ass.

When you do think of something else bad, let me know. ;Þ
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: