Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Walking NPCs...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Envinyatar
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Walking NPCs... Reply with quote

If I could suggest something, it would be to 86 the idea of walking NPCs. In Akarra, Eckard was an NPC who gave out item collecting quests which had nice rewards. The problem is, he would walk the perimeter of the main penninsula. This is a great inconvience as players should not spend having an hour searching for an NPC they expect to see at a certain location. They should spend that time training, or questing, or pvping. I'm not saying that they should be immobile. Sure they can walk here and there around town, but to search a penninsula for half an hour for an NPC that should be found where they should be found, is more frustrating than fun. Thanks for hearing me out.

-Winston Churchill
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda disagree that something like this should be removed because it impairs exprate. Nobody forces you to do his quests. I like the touch of randomness a traveling NPC gives you.

The gnomish inventions in WoW give you a bit of that, they don't always work - a net-thrower can catch you instead of the target, a shrink ray can sometimes hit a random target causing it to grow instead (size is proportional to attack power in this case).

Makes it a bit more interesting when you can't run everything like a formula, IMO.
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i disagree too,
Eckard was one one of the best NPC's in akarra, and many peoples favorite NPC just because he always was on the move. I like NPC roaming around, it adds to the gameplay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Arallu
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to like it when he came when lots of people were around, and he'd get Gang-Banged.
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your favourite NPC was Eckard? As far as I can remember, the most hated NPC was Eckard. He was notoriously unpredictable. A lot of the time, he got stuck on edges of maps because of some.. questionable path finding?
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
thewreck
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loved him ยจ

when he was first introduced i think he had one of the most powerful weapons in his shop too.
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel short sword?
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Chybi
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone said, NPCs have to move around. Eckard was a merchant, so it was nor,al for him to walk around. I remember some people stopping Eckard in a certain position and then called all their firneds to come. As I remember the flood of "Anyone know where Ecky is?" messages in the ex-OOC chat.

Stlightly off topic:

WHAT the heel does "86" means in this sentence: it would be to 86 the idea of walking NPCs

The Ranger without a cause.

Note to self: When faced with Human stupidity at it's best, RUN LIKE HELL
catslayer
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecky was nice. Being hated, he was still nice because of quests and items. If only he didn't get stuck here and there (good, if he got stuck here, as you had to wait a damn long time if he had got stuck there). But imho moving in random direction will make NPC a completely elusive one.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chybi wrote:
WHAT the heel does "86" means in this sentence: it would be to 86 the idea of walking NPCs

86 means in this case to get rid of.

It's kinda like this. Killing someone is referred to as a 187 in Police radio speak... Somewhere down the line the 1 was dropped and the 7 was changed to a 6... Probably some rapper saying the wrong number on purpose because it rhymed better or something...
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: