Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knitting together the community
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jellocube27
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Knitting together the community Reply with quote

An overblown community was never a problem with Akarra, which was one of its higher points. Not only did this realisticly mock the smaller communities of medival towns, but it also make the players friendlier to each other- a good FS was never out of reach. It also helped flush out the trolls (no offence, tro11) from the community.

However, such a community does not stay for long. Though the time is not peticuarly near, such thing must be considered for the future, when a community is not so small, and everyone doesn't know everyone the stride past in the woods.

One solution for a step toward closer knit communities in a larger world would be progression toward persuading the players to stick together. Have them own properties or farms in one town, or get lower prices at the places the buy from most. While they may want to wander off and discover what the world of daria has to offer ouside of home, you could be guarenteed they'd keep coming back to the place they know best to take advantage of some NPC's who offer them lower prices or stash a few items at their inn room. Who knows, maybe they'll even go out for a few good old runs against the local enemies!

And in coming back to their home encampment, they' d probably run into a few familiar faces- keeping the world a tad more believable and alot more personal.
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S'good idea, but in principle, it won't work if everyone starts off in the same place. eg. In Akarra, Hope. New characters would have to be scattered onto different starting towns far from each other - if such a close knit community as the one you envisage will be realised, Jellocube.

I really like the idea of "a few runs against old enemies". A bitter clash between rival towns - constant rivalary... what a thriving place of roleplaying.. Sounds very good.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In time in Akarra we would have had a few starting towns depending on your religion... We just never got that far.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Pre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I played Akarra, I thought of how huge the map was and how there would be different starting points. I think that this breaks apart the community. Akarra had such a good community because there was only one town where everyone went and talked.
Thanquol
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other games have implemented random starting points and for Daria to do the same would be cool beyond words. You could even pick if you wanted to start off in the 'fishing village' rather than the 'farming town', for example.
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the different starting points would also involve different education and training (skills, spells). Say a Druid would be better trained at the starting point called Forestile (lots of nature) rather then Anabias (Deserted Wasteland) for just an example.
Or an archer would better be trained in a town with a lot of ranged combat involved rather then in a town with only meat shields. Wink

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Chybi
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this Idea, it would create communities inside the community. Kinda like there was supposed to be a Giftes/SHining War but it didn't actually happen.

The Ranger without a cause.

Note to self: When faced with Human stupidity at it's best, RUN LIKE HELL
Manifold

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it did, Chybi. It was back in the pre-alphas when the Gifted warred the Shining, the first "proper" event I believe. I also believe the Gifted won.

Dante
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot go Gifted.

Back on topic, the different starting points is cool but it will also pull the community apart if you see what I mean, people in different towns would be seperate.
Manifold

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but that's the whole point, to create rival 'faction' if you like, of people. Then you'd see great huge bloody wars.. I'm sure we all relish them. ;D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: