Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community Discussion: Character Types (Classes) - CD I
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cannibal
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Options. Reply with quote

I won't answer the questions in order, nor all of them, but I will express my opinion on a few things.

Class : Thief.

Everyone seems to get up in arms about this kind of job. It scares
the living crap out of the old strong players. If the job was in the
format of Ultima Online, then I'd be scared too. Point being here, is
that you do not need to make a Thief steal from other players.

But there are many good things you could create with a Thief.
Abilities. Hide in plain daylight or at night even with a lantern
around for a period of time based on their position in the Tier's
of Thief Rank. I.E. Footpad the first rank. Bandit Second rank.
The ranks can go higher. The hiding ability would disappear
after the first attack. Probably be best to have a Timer on the
ability as to stop people from being able to hide forever.

Perhaps the peak of the Rank would be Assassin. With this Rank,
Players can go to an object in town and deposit gc,sc, or cc for
reward of a player death. Perhaps when you kill a player their
head pops into your inventory. The assassin then could return
the head to the pillar and get reward that the player set. The
player setting the "Reward" could select which Assassin's were
allowed to go after the bounty. Sounds strange you'd ask that
of a Thief? Think of Robin Hood. The assassin would first go to
the object and find the name of the "target" andtake the
"Contract". An Assassin could only have one "Contract"
at a time. This Contract would still leave them with
Murderer status. (Hey, can't let people who kill under contract
not have consequences)

Other peak ranks for a Thief could be a Master Fence. They
have a natural gift with their hands. A bit more luck
with crafting. Their items sell for a bit more to NPC's due
to their glib tongues. Thief ranks should have a branch
that go towards fighting their opponents; Merchants.
If you insist on creating trade skills, then you must have
Thieves.

Master Forger. Between the two religions, a ruling authority
has been born. People wishing to go through areas that are
owned by other religions need to have the proper
identification to enter town. Perhaps simple forgeries can
get you into the town, and into the market place, but not
into the true crafting masters of each town. Or into the
Ruling religious building for that town.

Master Spy. If Religion controls the land, then someone has to
be gleaning information about the opponent. These players
could Sabotage the supply trains that give ruling religious
groups supplies. Perhaps they can change their name
temporarily, until someone comes within a certain distance. Or
appear to be of the opposing faith while using forged
credentials to gain access to headquarters of the enemy
and over hear conversation. Then use their hiding abilities
to disappear when found.

Thieves don't necessarily need to be able to steal from players,
but having one in your fellowship could "Slightly" increase drop
rates for rare or normal items, or increase the amount of cash
found on a dead monster for the party. Thieves could be given a
steal "ability" that they can use on a timed basis against monsters.
They can steal every.. 10-15 minutes or so. It doesn't mean they
always suceed. In fact, the higher the level of the monster, the
more likely the player will just die when the monster gets pissed
off and chases him. Guess he'll have to hide and try again later.
Higher Rank = Higher stealing skill.

If attacking while hidden (Player or monster) they deal more
damage. Hey.. they could use that hiding ability to sneak up on
their prey. Damage is increased based on Rank. The higher the
Rank the higher the damage from the sneaky little thief.

Obviously some weapon limitations would be in order, but
Thieves should tend to go with fast hitting weapons that deal
lesser damage.

Races :

Two races. One to represent each religion. Although players can
choose their religion despite their racial tendency. This would
allow for some intrigue or much roleplay if some wished.

In most circumstances I prefer to have options.

But in a small game, you can always add more.
Demonslayer7
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Character Types (Classes) CD 1 Reply with quote

I basically agree with Dw.

Dw wrote:
Quote:
1. What class types would you like to see in Daria?

What enq said. Nothing out of the ordinary :E
Quote:
2. What class types would not work in Daria?

THE ULTIMATE DRAGON KILLA 666 WTF!!!11 imba.
tbh, one can't really answer to this as we basically don't know anything of the game.
Quote:
3. Should some classes be restricted to certain races (like World of Warcraft and other games have done?)

Naaaahhh, and I would rather have no races!
Quote:
4. Should an original class be expanded through a skill tree

Yep. Nice.
Quote:
5. Should these expansive classes have new bonuses and skills or should they be just for character progression down a certain path?

Yeah, I like dedication to one thing, specialization (or something Very Happy)
At a certain step you could be able to choose from a few paths, like in the Akarrian skill tree. So basically Enquillion posted my exact thoughts, damned be you fizzlesticker B<

Except I think there should be maybe 3 simple human-like races that add simple advantages like Dwarves add +1 strength, Elves add +1 intelligence, and humans add +1 something.
All classes belong to every race though, since they are all human like races. Smile
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Character Types (Classes) - CD I Reply with quote

If I had to pick a class, I would say anything that can use a lot of agility and parrying abilities as opposed to just standing and taking hits like a typical tank fighter. Think ninjitsu, but without the sneakiness/evil connotation a lot of people have. Perhaps Samurai? Really, any fighting style where dodging and parrying and counterattacks are part of. This goes against the mentality of the typical fighter, but I don't like the stereotype that all fighters must be big and bulky and wear tons of armor.

In Akarra, the sword dancer class sounded good.

As others have said, it's too early in development to tell.

3. Should some classes be restricted to certain races (like World of Warcraft and other games have done?)
A flat-out no here. What race you are should not determine what classes you can be. Anyone can be anything, their only limit is their own personality and determination. It'd make for better RPing, too.

4. Should an original class be expanded through a skill tree.. such as starting as a Fighter you can branch off to a Swordsman, Pikeman, Axeman, Archer and then possibly Paladin, Master Archer etc.. If yes see 5.
... for this and...

5. Should these expansive classes have new bonuses and skills or should they be just for character progression down a certain path?
... A mix of both, perhaps. Personally, I'd rather the game take on a more skill-oriented focus than being stuck in any one particular class. That way, I could have a agile fighter who specializes in swords, but knows how to use an axe, spear/pike, bo staff, or a bow/crossbow when needed. This also makes for more interesting RP.
Tyrael
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question 1.

Unique classes to the game. This doesn't mean complete originality but possibly not going with the cliche names and abilites, but putting a new twist on it. Kind of like the names of top classes for the Akarra class tree.

Question 2.

Dunno. Classes that don't fit into the lifestyle of the people and the needs. Stuff that wouldn't develop in certain societies. Like samurai in a European based game. :E

Question 3.

For the most part, no don't limit. Unless there is a good reason. For example, uh... I got nothing. We probably wont have any races so limiting.
But, if time ever permits and the devs are extremely good at balancing and stuff... make every class slightly unique to every race. Meaning, at the higher levels of expertise classes have names unique to every race and certain skills and bonuses are also unique, but similar and balanced. This would be like the difference between a dwarven battlerager and a human berserker. Iin essence, it is the same class, but with different emphasis and skills juggled around.

Question 4 and 5

Totally to 4, and to 5 it should have new bonuses and skills. Totally. You don't start off as a Paladin. You have to learn skills and become something like a squire and only then are you given the tools and ability to learn a new, better skill. As you learn more, you are promoted upwards and gain new titles. You have to earn the right to be called Paladin, not just start off willy-nilly calling yourself a Paladin when you can't even hold a sword properly or heal anyone.
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrael wrote:
Dunno. Classes that don't fit into the lifestyle of the people and the needs. Stuff that wouldn't develop in certain societies. Like samurai in a European based game. :E

I didn't mean the exact class of samurai, but rather the ideas of the martial art in a class.
Tyrael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't a jibe at you, Lorsaelos. It is just one of my pet peeves that samurai are included on almost every game while very few are actually set somewhere where samurai exist. I didn't much have the previos post in mind while I was writing.
DarkHydra
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it was mentioned but I'd like some kind of War Wizard or BattleMage character. Not necesarily an all powerful character but something similar to the Elementalist.
Hawkeye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Character Types (Classes) - CD I Reply with quote

Quote:

First going to the primary classes. The best would have been to have one class per ability. For example:
Strength; Best for a Fighter.
Agility; Perfect all-around for Thief-class and/or Rangers.
Intelligence; Magicians and Necromancers.
Faith; Clerics, Healers and maybe Summoners.
Constitution; No slightest clue. Everyone needs some vitality. If you don't want to end up like a Rabbit, that is.
Then from the "primary classes", there are upgrades following them. Or class-changing as somebody explains it.

Quote:

Who said some class types doesn't work? Well, except for farmers, Shop-keepers and Priests. (Go Atheism Twisted Evil )

Quote:

Races? That's is like Hinduism. Caste-system all the way, ranking people from noble thieves to green orcs.

But instead of races, the different classes could live in the same world (wow, that's a big change in the world.), together in peace in a City available for every classes. (Like Hope in Akarra.)
As Hope as the city welcoming all classes, there could be small guilds (or towns, name it as you please), spread around DoD world fit perfect for the different classes. For example, a Thieves guild is a "town" perfectly suited for thieves, where they sell agility-based equipment. A training ground could be the meeting place for Fighters, where they trade, sell and buy weapons suited for their strength and/or defence needs.
A Wizards guild, hometown for Mages, where they can test their magic skills, or buy and sell magical items (staffs) or spells.

Quote:
4. Should an original class be expanded through a skill tree.. such as starting as a Fighter you can branch off to a Swordsman, Pikeman, Axeman, Archer and then possibly Paladin, Master Archer etc.. If yes see 5.

Having only one class to choose through the whole game could become boring after a few weeks. Sword-Dancer and Shadow (two of the other "final classes" in Akarra at the Class tree) always sounded great to become. Classes changed a lot of the fun in Akarra, this should keep going.

Quote:

What is the point of "improved" class-changing" if nothing is changed inside the abilities, except of getting the title "Sword-Dancer"?
Like Akarra, the further class-changes could be locked until more skills, quests and abilities are found and improved inside these classes. Adding Quests suited for your class would have been a nice input in the game. (For example, Thief receive assasination-, sneaking -, or agility-based missions, Mages receive "Zap a man to death!"- quests.)

-- Manatheater.com. Not my own website, but a cool one. Visit when you need a smile or two.
Naturegardian
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long there are rangers that use nature spells as well as a bow and arriow im happy and i like the skill tree thing also
Naturegardian
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long there are rangers that use nature spells as well as a bow and arriow im happy and i like the skill tree thing also
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: