Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community Discussion: Character Types (Classes) - CD I
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Community Discussion: Character Types (Classes) - CD I Reply with quote

Hello all,

For those of you wondering why so many Community Discussions are being posted, its because we want to start getting some strong community influence and ideas before we dive 100% into this project set in stone. We want ideas that we can tweak our own etc..

The next discussion is on character types (classes).

-----------------------------

1. What class types would you like to see in Daria?

2. What class types would not work in Daria?

3. Should some classes be restricted to certain races (like World of Warcraft and other games have done?)

4. Should an original class be expanded through a skill tree.. such as starting as a Fighter you can branch off to a Swordsman, Pikeman, Axeman, Archer and then possibly Paladin, Master Archer etc.. If yes see 5.

5. Should these expansive classes have new bonuses and skills or should they be just for character progression down a certain path?

-----------------------

Have at it.

Last edited by Kalorian on Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The four branches Fighter, Mage, Cleric and Rogue.

Quote:

Hell am I supposed to tell. :/

Quote:
3. Should some classes be restricted to certain races (like World of Warcraft and other games have done?)

I'd rather have this in a discussion about races. But I can tell you already now that I fear the "All thieves are halflings, and all halfings are thieves" scenario.

Quote:
4. Should an original class be expanded through a skill tree.. such as starting as a Fighter you can branch off to a Swordsman, Pikeman, Axeman, Archer and then possibly Paladin, Master Archer etc.. If yes see 5.

I think that's a good idea, yes. In Akarra we had Mundane -> Apprentice -> Wizard -> Mage or Necromancer
Case Necromancer: Black Reaper or Lord/Lady of the Lich
Case Mage: Elementalist or Sorcerer

I liked that, even though we didn't get further than tier 2 on the branches.

Quote:
5. Should these expansive classes have new bonuses and skills or should they be just for character progression down a certain path?

Yes, I'd like a gradual development into what I become. Using the previous example, when I pick Mage instead of Necromancer, I revel a bit more at non-Necromantic magic whereas the Necromancer is the opposite. Later on picking Sorcerer I become good at altering physical reality and enchanting, whereas the Elementalist becomes way better than me at elemental magic.
Dw
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Character Types (Classes) CD 1 Reply with quote

Quote:

What enq said. Nothing out of the ordinary :E
Quote:

THE ULTIMATE DRAGON KILLA 666 WTF!!!11 imba.
tbh, one can't really answer to this as we basically don't know anything of the game.
Quote:

Naaaahhh, and I would rather have no races!
Quote:
4. Should an original class be expanded through a skill tree

Yep. Nice.
Quote:

Yeah, I like dedication to one thing, specialization (or something Very Happy)
At a certain step you could be able to choose from a few paths, like in the Akarrian skill tree. So basically Enquillion posted my exact thoughts, damned be you fizzlesticker B<
Gazeibo
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'd love to see Sword-Dancers in Daria, i've always liked the idea of ditching the shield and going for another sword Smile Although i didnt like the fact that in WiA the 2nd sword would have a lower max damage, i believe this is fairly innacurate as having a shield equipped would decrease mobility lending to a lower chance of getting a beautiful hit.

Quote:

Still to think why a class wouldn't work in Daria.

Quote:

Races? Sounds interesting Wink If you mean races like in WoW i think that that would be a good idea to have different classes for different races as species have different abilities. However if Daria was to go down more of a religion route i think it'd be best to have the same classes available to each religion.

Quote:

Yes

Quote:

Well the reward is naturally the benefits you gain from being that new class, e.g. better weapons, new skills, access to areas etc.
Kaoryn
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

Quote:

Definately the Paladin. I'm a big fan. =)

Quote:

Classes not related to the time period Daria is going to be set in.

Quote:

Definately not. However, you can make advantages and disadvantages for it. (Ex. You'd expect a gnome to be good at fighting, so going though the fighting classes would benefit him most, as opposed to sending him through the wizard classes or whatnot.) Although this idea is good, I don't suggest it if you're looking for character diversity in your game. Some people may not like that gnomes are best at fighting, and maybe want to have a gnome Cleric.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

Bonuses. Not dramatic though, just minor, as to give a boost over other classes in the same category.

"An Optimist is the Human Personification of Spring."
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Character Types (Classes) CD 1 Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:

I'd like the see either the normal types of classes aka. D&D types, or completely original versions. One or the other. Combined, they'd feel weird.
Kalorian wrote:

What information is there on Daria? Very little.. :]
Kalorian wrote:

No races is my preference.
Kalorian wrote:

Yes, I think it should. It'd be a different break in the mould of linear progression. Different from... say Ultima Online.
Kalorian wrote:

Bonuses and skills for the character progression. Naturally (in roleplay), characters will become stronger, more skilled, more dextrous etc. in their chosen craft.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
LookinToDie
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

Definately the Paladin. I'm a big fan. =)

Second that.

Quote:

No race restrictions on classes plz

Maybe religion thingie could kick in.. Have some gods you can choose to worship that will give you some minor bonuses.. like worshipping Jeb God of Creation gives you a 5% bonus to cast rating etc.
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Character Types (Classes) CD 1 Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:

Agree with Enq. here but if it would be something from WiA's old planned classes i'd chose the Paladin. An assassin would be great to, in my opinion.

Quote:
Something that involves theft like a thief class. Would cause a lot of trouble and PK'ing i assume.

Quote:

In particular, no.. It would couse like Enquillion said rather a lot of discussion concerning advantages, disadvantages. They would have to be equally balanced, wich is hard.. But perhaps 1 unique class for each race would encourage people too play it. Perhaps racial bonuses involving stats would be good too. Like the one has more speed but a lack in strength, the other has more strength but is slow etc.

Quote:

Most certainly without a doubt 'Yes'.

Quote:

Same as 4 for new bonuses and skills. It would make the class more 'unique' when it would have unique features only for that class and it would make it more effective and worthwhile to choose it.

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Pre
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Character Types (Classes) CD 1 Reply with quote

Quote:

mage, fighter, cleric, archer

Quote:

I dont really think any class would not work in Daria.

Quote:
3. Should some classes be restricted to certain races (like World of Warcraft and other games have done?

I dont think so. But it can be like Morrowind. If a non magic race, like orcs or something want to be a mage, then they dont have as much mana/power to start out with. Therefore it will be harder and not many people would want to be them.

Quote:

Yea, thats my favorite way of learning skills. I dont like having a list and just using experience to buy them.

Quote:

When someone goes to a new class, they should have a new skill, and get bonuses like more health or mana.
[/quote]
Origon
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.Probably fighter and mage with them branching into fighter/rogue and mage/healer thingy

2.not sure bout the ones i wouldnt like to see. Id like any as long as its balanced

3. Race restrictions are...well....bad. Just give classes a bonus depending on their race. like +2 to dex or something very small yet fairly significant.

4. Skill tree is the best way to go...

5. The classes should have separate bonuses and class-only skills to offer so people actually think bout their class instead of flipping a coin or rolling a die
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: