Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreaming
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chybi
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ori, I know that diferent people get waked in different conditions and etc. But let's say you make an option to choose, light sleep, heavy sleep and etc, people would just choose what would be best for their character, not what is best rpwise. So I say make every sleep the same with the same advantages/disadvantages so there is no problem.

The Ranger without a cause.

Note to self: When faced with Human stupidity at it's best, RUN LIKE HELL
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not seeing any real good reasons why it should be added... Well, blacking out your visual sense is a decent idea, but then you do have other senses like smell and touch and sound that could take over... Unless you're Origon. Then there are those that have some small amount of precognition who always seem to wake up just before something happens... Those freaks. =D
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Origon
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, if something wakes me up, i just fall back asleep......damn school-related lates -.-
Demonslayer7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are all forgetting what the dreaming function's purpose is. It's not supposed to necessarily recreate dreams realistically, it is something for you to look at while your senses are resting.

And stant, your eyes aren't the only sense you have resting when you sleep. Smells, Hearing, and so on become lax as well. Not necessarily dead, but lax.

And also, how could you say you only have dreams every 1-2 months? You have dreams every night but you don't remember them every time you wake up.
Stant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You misunderstand what I said. I never said anything about them working in 100% capacity, I was stating that while you sleep your visual perception goes black. Though your hearing and smell, even touch plays a part in YOUR sleep. But I was more aiming that comment at in game reality. In the game the screen can go black and your perceptions of hearing and smell can take over for you to alert you of monter activity nearby. (As discussed in the Perception CD) Now back to real life, of course everything is reduced not blacked out. .. Light can still wake you when it shines through your eye lids. Your shoulder being tapped or your bed being moved can wake you. A nice smelling meal can wake you. Loud noises can wake you. In game we don't have these senses to work with. That's what I was getting at...

Anyways, it is very possible to not dream at night. Scientifically speaking, dreaming is just your mind being overly active while you sleep, and recalling events and mixing things and what not... If you're overly tired after doing a lot of head work, such as studying, programming, reading pages and pages, anything involving high levels of thought for excess amounts of time, you tire your brain out much like you tire your muscles out when you play. When this condition occurs your brain technically shuts down everything it can to rest. Thus no extra activity, thus no dream. Remembering or not is inconsequential because everybody is different. Those that have better memories remember the improbabilities in their dreams better thus remembering their dreams and if they actually had one or not. Those that have poor memories just can't remember period. You ever have those nights where your head hits the pillow and what seems like minutes later your alarm is going off waking you up? Odds are, you didn't dream.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Demonslayer7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but if we were really trying to be super realistic, why don't we just go full 3D?

Unrealistic-ness is not a bad thing.
Sum Ting Wong
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about dream patterns affected by something you eat? that would be kinda funny and i guess realistic. i played this one game called EUO(don't remember what it stood for), anyway, different waters would do random things(just stated as water in the description), such as fruity water and everything turned funny colors and shapes changed and such. anyway, i think it would be interesting if eating some sort of spicy food gave you really fast moving red patterns, or somehting like that, but if you don't eat anything to affect your sleep, then your screen will just black out or whatever.

also, maybe a dreams on/off feature in the options would settle some peoples disputes...

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Stant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sum Ting Wong wrote:
what about dream patterns affected by something you eat?

Mmmm. Shrooms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: