Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreaming
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demonslayer7
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Dreaming Reply with quote

This is just a neat little idea if anyone wants to play around with it.

Someone mentioned the healing process of sleeping seen in many other games (many are muds). Alot of games have a sitting option as well. You heal slower but it is easier to get up and get moving faster.

My new concept is: When sleeping you don't really see the game. You have a small window at the top with your HP, MP, or whatever and maybe a menu panel to the side but your gamespace is taken up with a slow setting blackness when you sleep.

The world fades to black slowly and then from black it fades into an abstract particle system or something like the kind seen in Geiss screensavers & winamp plugins. The downside to this however, is that you cannot sleep in certain areas you can sit (obviously) and you can't see enemies nearby if you are sleeping in a danger zone.

This also promotes the sitting command where you simply heal slower but you can see all that is happening around you.

If something like the abstract particle imaging system thingy is out of question, maybe some interesting image slideshow type thing would work.

The basic point I am trying to make is, I think it would be a nice asthetic feature for the game and it would be appropriate for non-magical characters who don't have a mage in their party or they have too much HP loss and they need to look at something while sleeping.

Any idearz?

Links:
Geisswerks
Sum Ting Wong
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a rather interesting idea, but it'd probably get boring(like the dreams in es:3 Bloodmoon.) what would a slideshow dream even be about?

just thinking(seeing as how dreams are really random anyway), what if it randomly did some kind of madlib type sequence with randomly created characters saying random things on a random background? might get boring after a bit, but i'll just throw that out there

hmm, maybe make a hypnotic one that uses subliminal messages to get people to donate money to the project...

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Origon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and who says everybody would have the same type of dreams....or have dreams at all...
Demonslayer7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sum Ting Wong wrote:
sounds like a rather interesting idea, but it'd probably get boring(like the dreams in es:3 Bloodmoon.) what would a slideshow dream even be about?

just thinking(seeing as how dreams are really random anyway), what if it randomly did some kind of madlib type sequence with randomly created characters saying random things on a random background? might get boring after a bit, but i'll just throw that out there

hmm, maybe make a hypnotic one that uses subliminal messages to get people to donate money to the project...

Slideshow images... If you ever used RM2k or many other 'newer' game makers you would know you can manipulate images randomly and add color/motion effects to them. This is basically what I meant. As for boringness goes, you can sit instead of sleep. Besides, I think watching something uber cool like geiss would be alot more interesting than an empty hotel room. Wink

Origon wrote:
and who says everybody would have the same type of dreams....or have dreams at all...
The ones in geiss are random. If you clicked the link you would know that.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda like what Origon said. Most nights I'm a light sleeper. A bug hitting my window can wake me up. No dreaming going on there. Other nights, I'm just so tired, a bus can drive by and not even have an effect on me. Origon knows of a few of the dreams I've had because of that. Not normal... Very not normal... I just don't see any reasonable value in a game such as this to warrant a need.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Demonslayer7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose waking up would be necessary if you were attacked by an animal.

Say - when you are getting hit by an enemy while sleeping, the screen flashes red the first hit or two, then you are forced awake.
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happens if you eat a bowl of five alarm chili and a burrito and a jalepeno burger?

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Origon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonslayer7 wrote:

Origon wrote:

The ones in geiss are random. If you clicked the link you would know that.

Well i'm not gonna go download something just so you can prove your point. I'm just saying that personally, i have dreams maybe once every 2-3months, and when i do, its not some random pattern of dots, its more like a story. Most nights i dont remember sleeping at all, its like 1second my head hits the pillow, the next im awaken by my alarm, so i don't see why you think everyone would be ok with those random patterns or w/e. There has to be some sort of logic / selection
Chybi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea that sleeping would render you unable to counter attacks while you are asleep.

But I still think you should be able to sleep anywhere you want, hell if you sleep somewhere and get attacked whle you are restiong, it's your problem.

I don't really see the use for having dreams and etec while you dream, but I believe it would be good if your screen balcked out while you were sleeping so that you are not aware of what happens.

(This idea is based on the WiA system) While you sleep, you are unaware to almost everything around you. If someone/something were to use normal chat near you it would wake you up. Also like someone said, getting hit would wake you up. Also if your fellowship was countering an attack while you rested, it should wake you.

The way I see it, a party of 4 enter a dungeon, they don't have a cleric with them so they have to actually rest. After their first fight, they are all down to more or less 50 Hp. Since they would be at risk if they all decided to sleep at once, they have 2 people stand guard(the sit feature he talked about, You are concious of your surroundings, but you slowly regen Hp/mp) while the others sleep. when these are healed, they wake up, and the other sleep while they stand guard.

The Ranger without a cause.

Note to self: When faced with Human stupidity at it's best, RUN LIKE HELL
Origon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chybi wrote:
If someone/something were to use normal chat near you it would wake you up. Also like someone said, getting hit would wake you up.

Depends on the sleeper. As stant said, he wakes up from anything, while I myself can sleep through a party going on inside the room and not even know it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: