Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enquillion's Healing Concept
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Enquillion's Healing Concept Reply with quote

*** I will begin this post by analyzing the present situation and pointing out its flaws. You may want to just skip to the suggestion itself. ***

In every RPG, MMO or not, healing is almost the same thing. Sure, in D&D we have memorization slots whereas other systems use mana, but that's not much of a difference. When the number crunchers do their thing, they break healing down into two ratios.

Healing per second: How much damage a spell can heal per time unit. The higher, the better.
D&D equivalence: Pretty much the same.

Healing per mana: How much mana is consumed to heal 1 point of damage. The lower, the better.
D&D equivalence: Healing per level of spell slot (the higher, the better).

Beyond that, there's also ease or difficulty to get a big mana pool to take into consideration, along with the class' survivability or other tasks that require their attention, but if we cut all that out, we have these two to play with. Pretty needless to say, the "best healing class" is too easily derived from this.

Onward. What I find really boring is though, that despite there being tons of damage types, healing is always the same thing!

Iwid Wizard zaps you for 142 damage.
Iwid Watchman pierces you for 138 damage.
H34LB1TCH heals you for 280 damage.

Let's break it down. The wizard zapped you. Lightning damage. This tends to imply, get lightning resistance if this is causing you problems. Ditto watchman pierced ditto piercing damage ditto piercing resistance.

But the healing, it was just healing you.

*** End Analysis. Begin Suggestion. ***

My idea is, that the kind of damage you've taken should also factor into the effectiveness of the healing. For example, someone who uses holy healing is damn good at healing unholy damage, whereas a surgeon rules for healing physical damage.

Let me break damage into different spheres.

Elemental: Fire, Lightning, Ice, Water (I'm using the FFX system to make it easier)

Physical: Piercing, Bludgeoning, Slashing

Spiritual: Holy, Unholy (renamed!)

There could be more categories, but I don't need that many.

Now, let's say all damage you take is logged. Somewhere among all the numbers representing your abilities, it'll say:

Damage Taken
Piercing: 138
Lightning: 142
Total: 280

Ok, ok, so what's my point?

My point is there should be a much wider range of healing spells out there, with varying effectiveness depending on what kind of damage they are attempting to heal.

Some spell examples would be:

Prismatic Healing
Heals the target for 125 damage. Costs 75 mana.
Effectiveness, all: 75%

Elemental Healing
Effectiveness, elemental: 90%
Effectiveness, others: 50%

Close Wounds
Effectiveness, piercing: 110%
Effectiveness, slashing: 110%
Effectiveness, others: 50%

Unholy Cure
Effectiveness, holy: 125%
Effectiveness, unholy: 0%
Effectiveness, others: 40%

Watery Counter
Effectiveness, lightning: 125% (opposing elements yada yada, Lulu will explain it, k?)
Effectiveness, fire: 50%
Effectiveness, ice: 50%
Effectiveness, water: 0%
Effectiveness, others: 25%

To make it easier, I gave all spells the same healing amount and the same mana cost.

Now, do you see the point of it? While you wouldn't go anywhere without someone with Prismatic Healing, they still don't rule the healing world. Because in this specific example, you'll want a Watery Counter and a Close Wounds spell, or the healer would be using a lot of extra mana. Maths:

PH + PH: 125*2*0.75 = 187.5 damage healed, 150 mana used.
CW + WC: 125*1.1 + 125*1.25 = 137.5 piercing + 156.25 lightning damage healed, 150 mana used.

As you can see, using just as much mana, Close Wounds and Watery Counter healed all the damage (read more below for the .5 points of Piercing damage), whereas Prismatic Healing left you with almost 100 "unhealed" points of damage. However, had you taken Bludgeoning and Water damage, PH would have owned these two spells royally.

Now, a small note about the mechanisms behind the spells. They will attempt to be as mana-efficient as possible. This means, they will try to cure what they are best at curing. Close Wounds will heal 137.5 points of Piercing damage, leaving you with .5 points of unhealed Piercing damage. Watery Counter will heal all the 142 points of Lightning damage, and after that it'll have 9.12% (100-100(142/156.25)) of its mana pool left to heal with. Its healing efficiency against Piercing is only 25%, but 0.0912*125*0.25 is still 2.85, which will heal the remaining 0.5 points of Piercing damage.

To make this easier, there should definitely be a tooltip to help people find out how much they will heal. Pick a spell, hover the cursor above a target and a number will appear by it, stating how much it will heal.

Summing all this up, the Prismatic Healing is still the best generic healing spell, simply because it can heal all kinds of damage and is on average the most mana-efficient spell. But still, if someone is getting pumped with Holy damage, you'll want to use Unholy Cure if you can, or else you'll be using lots more mana.

I believe that these spells could be distributed across the many classes I hope we'll see in Daria, to ensure that there are many viable "healbitches". Druids (and maybe to some extent, mages) to cure elemental damage, warlocks to cure holy damage, and so on.

Your board.

Last edited by Enquillion on Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3 indeed. I've always figured clerics were all too generic because they didn't have variety. The only differece was effectiveness of their healing spells and how much of a bonus was provided by their protections. Adding variety to the healing types as well as intensities allows for clerics to actually have to train smarter in order to become better at healing. It also allows them to branch out apart from each other, some being holy clerics, some being elemental clerics, ect. thus allowing them to spread out and camp regions of Daria for groups that may need their more specialized talents then just a general healer.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the system doesn't become too complex to deter people migrating from other games like UO, then I'm all for this.

EDIT : I like your copyright in the concept name. ;D
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Zigmat
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, nice system, however there's a possibility that people wont get used to it and just drop it... At least that's what i think
Enquillion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to remove some complexity, I thought of one thing. If a spell is meant to cure Lightning damage, it should be 100% effective against it, not 125%. That's what the spell will be used for. Just annoying having to multiply it by 1.25 to get the number you'll want 90% of the time.

Err, example:

Watery Counter
Effectiveness, lightning: Full
Effectiveness, fire: 40%
Effectiveness, ice: 40%
Effectiveness, water: None
Effectiveness, others: 20%

I'm a bit dizzy, I ate too much, but I think you get the point. You could also add the numbers beside:

Watery Counter
Effectiveness, lightning: Full (125)
Effectiveness, fire: 40% (50)
Effectiveness, ice: 40% (50)
Effectiveness, water: None (0)
Effectiveness, others: 20% (25)

We could start by having spells that have varying efficiency depending on the sphere (physical, elemental, etc) before going into the elements of each sphere as well.

It's quite simple, as these would start you off. And the testers will start at level 0, not level 100 where spells like Watery Counter could tip the scales heavily. Specialization comes with levels, yes?

Initial spells for a healer:

Tend Wounds
Heals the target for 10 damage. Costs 5 mana.
Effectiveness, physical: Full (10)
Effectiveness, others: 75% (7.5)

Minor Elemental Cure
Effectiveness, elemental: Full (10)

Spirit Touch
Effectiveness, spiritual: Full (10)

Lesser Prismatic Healing
Heals the target for 8 damage. Costs 5 mana.
Effectiveness, all: Full (8)

The last one has full effect against all, but heals less and costs as much mana. And yay, I'm gonna replace "Divine" with "Spiritual" now.

Sounds better? Should be easier to test it this way, I bet I scared you all with the first examples, but they are high-end ones. When you've been healing people using this system for months, picking the right one shouldn't be that hard. ^^
HHero
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the good old Sleep technique ?!
Luke
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHero wrote:
what about the good old Sleep technique ?!

SLEEEP we all love that dont we Razz
Enquillion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resting would replenish hit points just like it did in Akarra, independent of what damage you've taken. It feels a bit off-topic.
nebbish
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a more interesting system and better to give clerics a bit more variety. The lack of spells in WiA for a cleric did mean that combat was the same for every battle, just a matter of clicking heal on who ever is the weakest in the party. Spicing up the class can't be a bad thing but the only issue i find is how would the information for what kind of healing is required on a team mate be shown to the user in a well informative way to allow the cleric to choose the right form of healing as quick as possible. WiA's way of showing it was simple but if there are going to be multple types of damage then a new interface for showing it will need to be thought up.

The idea of a universal healing spell as well as ones that focus on certain kinds of injurys is a good one. I don't think a cleric should ever get over 3,4 or even 5 healing spells at once otherwise it could get very confusing (not including the ones obslete by improved spells). So another words don't have too many sub categories of different types of damage to heal. But they should always have the universal one for all occasions.
Enquillion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, who said that all those spells would be available to one single class? Specialization, specialization...

As for finding out what kinds of damage a party member has taken, it's not that difficult if we add some bars or numbers to the fellowship menu, there should be room for that with some increased resolution. For example:

Enquillion - 231/862 Wa: 322 Sl: 309

The interface should be a specific as necessary. What does this mean? It means that if you can cure individual elements of a sphere (like water and slashing in this case), they will show up as above. If you can cure water, but not specifically slashing, though you have a generic spell for curing physical damage, it'll show up as:

Enquillion - 231/862 Wa: 322 Ph: 309

With some way of showing that the Ph is a sphere and not an element of one, make it bold, change the color, whatever. And if you can't cure damage at all, or you only have a generic healing spell, it'll show up simply as:

Enquillion - 231/862

Sounds good? ^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: