Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zigmat
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Books Reply with quote

Well, first of all, many of you may be thinking "books? what is he talking about?" well, let me explain myself:

What
It would be a great addition to the game (if it's not already planned Razz) to have texts like books, scrolls, pages, etc. What should they contain? info: history of the land, maps (maybe ?), info about monsters, info about quests, about races, about magic spells, etc.

Why
It would be funny to try to collect these books, in order to collect info about what's surrounding you, and to discover quests and secret places. At least in my case, i would try to get every book i could (and it has nothing to do with my character being an knowdlege seeker Razz).
It would be simply a great addition to roleplay!.

Where
Eveywhere!. Dropped by specific monsters, in hidden libraries, in houses, Smile.

That's my idea, it's not too hard, well, im waiting for your opinions Very Happy.
Origon
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been previously suggested.

Refer to the Writing System? - R thread
Zigmat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not what i ment, that is about writing books, like fanfic or such, maybe those player-written books could be an addition, but i ment little books designed by dev's that have info about quests, etc.
I see i didnt express myself well
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe an 'unofficial quest' that doesn't show up on your quest bar that you find out if you read through a book, then do what the book says to do?

or a book of lore that gives the directions to some tomb guarded by an enchanted statue that wants a password/must be activated at a specific time that has some nice loot in it, like maybe a boss of the guy who the tomb was built for.

i could see that, and it would be interesting cause none of those powergamers who don't really care about lore and everything wouldn't ever figure it out, but the rp'ers might.

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Zigmat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sum Ting Wong wrote:
maybe an 'unofficial quest' that doesn't show up on your quest bar that you find out if you read through a book, then do what the book says to do?

or a book of lore that gives the directions to some tomb guarded by an enchanted statue that wants a password/must be activated at a specific time that has some nice loot in it, like maybe a boss of the guy who the tomb was built for.

i could see that, and it would be interesting cause none of those powergamers who don't really care about lore and everything wouldn't ever figure it out, but the rp'ers might.

Pretty much what i said Smile, books could help roleplayers to discover unique items, hidden quests, and im sure normally RP'ers wont spoil it on forums or websites Wink
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just had an idea regarding book based quests.

have some sort of ancient died off race, and they can have their writings on their tombs and temples and ruins. then you find a book belonging to them, written in the ancient language. so you go and search through the ruins until you figure out what the symbols mean, which leads to some sort of flaming sword or gauntlet that gives the user the ability to cast a fireball or something. or maybe a unique mount thats a dragon thats been guarding the treasure of the area for a long time, and speaks to you in the language then agrees to let you have one of its hatchlings instead of the treasure(make it a one time only quest).

i dunno, just tossing around ideas. but i've gotta admit, needing to read through books to figure out something that leads you onto some kind of powerful (or not) artifact would be pretty cool.

Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, real RPers wouldn't, but everyone else would, and it only takes one. But no, I'd have to vote that down. If you can't solve a quest, you should spend more time working on it... Answers shouldn't be handed to you. Also I don't feel that a random drop should be a quest trigger. Some unlucky bastards would never be able to get it. Which isn't right especially since a power gamer would have a better chance at finding it due to their always on hack and slash gameplay, which means one of them would be more likely to post it or just go around telling others what to do to get to the end.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Zigmat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you think about it, always, quests will be spoiled, and that happens in many of todays mmo's. You just cant avoid it. However, it will take longer to someone who doesn't read the books to discover and solve the quests, therefore, they will spoil it (if they do) in a later time...
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if you meant my quest idea stant, but i was meaning more of a 'find a book in some sort of ruins or something that gives you a starting point for a quest, then you follow clues from there, kinda like Indy did in 'The Last Crusade'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: