Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community Discussion: Loot - CD I
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BudMan
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by BudMan on Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Roger
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Loot CD I Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:
1. What do you like to find the most in loot? (loot being what you find from monsters you kill etc..)

I'd like to find varied stuff..
Quote:

2. Does finding Set Items interest you? Or would you rather found just very strong weapons?

I love to have both. But I feel set items are a bit more interesting
If there would be set items it would be fun if there were both common such and rare..
Quote:

3. Does finding crafting resources in loot bother you? Would it increase your interaction with the PC community or decrease?

Not at all.. I probably prefer finding it in loot than buying it.. It would probably increase my interaction with the PC community
Quote:

4. What bugs you the most about Loot?

Getting too little and too much..
Quote:

5. Whats your solution to getting rid of pointless loot? Or is there a solution?

Don't drop it? :P
It's hard to say a good system for taking care of pointless loot..
If you just sell it it would be as good to drop money..
And if you can't people probably won't be bothered to pick it up
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: Things that are unique to a monster. Take WiA for example: Only greenscale beasts could drop greenscale, giving you a decent profit if you were to be fighting them. Variated items is my first priority.

2: Yes.. though i'd only like it if there weren't to many around. Making it worthwhile to wear and not every newbie wearing the same set, like making them semi-unique and perhaps an unique set. Though of course if there were TO MANY sets, the non-set items would be starting to get useless and unused since they do not give as much bonuses as a set.. in overall: 10 sets or so: Yes, 100 sets: No.

3: No, its fine by me, and Yes i do think it would increase.

4: Like said before Loot-stealers. If there wasn't a leash on the items like in WiA.. it would cause people to turn into those insane mouse clickers, greedy fella's and alike as in Diablo II. The leash or seal would prevent other people from stealing your hard earned items. This is what i loved in WiA.
Creatures dropping loot that would be inappropiate to drop. Say a rabbit dropping a rapier is rather amuseable. Though i wouldn't bother to much.

5: .. Same as WiA.. a seal on items, preventing others from picking it up for quite a period of time like WiA.
Appropiate drops, not necessary though.

5:

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
maestro
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible approach is to make the loot more "mysterious". I mean usually as you pick up something you'll know what it is instantly. An example, a dumb fighter kills for the first time some kind of "boss" creature, and he finds a "Superior elite chainmail of eliteness". How could he know instantly what item he has found, when no one else even has heard of it or found it before? I suggest that instead he has found an "Armor", "Chainmail" or something similar. And when he takes this armor to somebody more wise (could be an NPC), this person can tell him exactly what he has found (maybe for a fee).

This means that no one can be sure exactly what item he/she has found. A "rusty sword" could actually turn out to be a really nice sword. Of course this doesn't solve the problem completely since an apple can't be much more than an apple for example. But still people would be more likely to pick up loot if there is at least a small chance that the item actually can be more valuable.
spoon
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. What do you like to find the most in loot? (loot being what you find from monsters you kill etc..)

Varies of things, but low percentage of rare things, like armor/weapons thats like unique..and costful....but..anything wud be great

Quote:
2. Does finding Set Items interest you? Or would you rather found just very strong weapons?

Yes, set of items, armor/gloves/hats/weapon is good it like evens out with a very strong weapon....i don't want to explain..but i think u guys kno what im talking about

Quote:
3. Does finding crafting resources in loot bother you? Would it increase your interaction with the PC community or decrease?

Crafting has bothered me ever since A1 @ WiA...but anyways, it would increase my interaction with the pc..

Quote:

loots are always good, what bothers me the most? from experience, killing the same monster 1000000 times, and not getting that loot, and with someone else killing it 1-2 times and getting it....the number is a exageration..
Quote:
5. Whats your solution to getting rid of pointless loot? Or is there a solution?

there is no solution, life is not fair, live with it. [/quote][/code]
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What I would like to find is reasonable loot. If you're in a swamp killing creatures, the odds are you're going to find swamp related items. If you're in a deep dark cave, maybe you're only going to find minerals and crystals as drops, if you're in a run down ancient castle filled with skeletons, maybe you would find a bad ass claymore or a pretty sweet robe. Let's face it, when you kill an animal, likely the only things you're going to find is their hides if you don't just completely annihilate it, maybe a rock if it swallowed one, and anything somone may have attacked to it. Nitsec's in akarra for example were the chosen mounts of darklings, killing one of those may provide the opportunity to find a weapon or something attached to it. Skeletons in mountain reagions could drop furs, likely the person died while wearing a fur coat and you're picking up the tattered remains of such. Basically, be character and location sensitive when deciding what a creature/monster/npc sells or drops.

Quote:

Hell yes, sets interest me. Say there is an xp limit for everybody. Once a character hits that limit, they are no longer playable, aka they retire from adventuring. This player was so well known that they get to create a set. Enquillion's Air is born, a 4 piece set of equipment. A staff, a robe, boots, and a hat. The staff being called Enquillion's Reach extends the range of spells slightly, the robe being Enquillion's Trust which adds a bit to protection from each color, the boots being Enquillion's Speed, reducing the wait time between spells, and the hat being Enquillion's Light which increases the wearers intellect. Adding a piece to the set increases the number added by each piece worn. Example, Holding the staff only adds a visual lenght of a couple characters, yet aquireing the boots also increases the length a couple more character, plus reduces the wait by two levels as well. Finally after obtaining and wearing all 4 pieces to the set, thus creating Enquillion's Air, you become the only person capable of a never fizzle chain lightning spell. Having unique equipment like this would make them extremely valuable and very worth searching out.

Quote:

It most certainly does not bother me. It usually increases PC interaction because it saves time for others to look for much needed pieces if they can ask around and buy or trade them from others. But again, where you find the loot is important. The odds of finding rare woods deep in a cave are almost non existant.

Quote:

Uh, unrealistic drops. A ghost shouldn't be dropping material things like candles and gold necklaces... Honestly, a ghost goes through walls, it doesn't need a candle to see the walls, and even if it could carry a material posession as soon as it went through the wall, it would drop to the floor because the item itself isn't incorporeal. A swamp rat no matter how big it is, isn't going to be carrying around jewelry that can only be found in the highest of mountain keeps, not unless that little scavenger picked it up from someone's dead body, in which case unless this person was travelling alone, would have been claimed by someone else.

Quote:

Define pointless loot. To me all loot serves a purpose, candles may not be worth anything to a character that has a glowing sword to light the way, but to somone who doesn't have that glowing sword and their lantern is about to run out, why not pick up that candle and add it to your lantern when the oil inside runs out? If you have no use for rabbit furs, I can understand killing them for sport, but why bother yourself with picking up the furs? You don't need them, but then again, if you're planning on making that trip into the Alps, you may need to collect a bunch of furs for the local taylor to hook you up with a nice warm fur coat that fits just perfectly under your platemail. What is pointless loot to one is life saving loot to another. The item is in the game for a reason, thus it serves a purpose. If you don't know the purpose, or have no need for it, then you shouldn't be bothering yourself with it. Even little tiny turtle shells, when combined to make full shells could be sold for some copper. Those few copper coins start to add up after a while.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Thanquol
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Loot CD I Reply with quote

Quote:

I like to find items that i can sell for alot of cash.

Quote:

I like have a selection of set items, about 4 items that any one creature could drop atleast. The items need to vary, some weapons, some misc. etc.

Quote:

I like finding crafting resource i can sell for alot ^^

Quote:

Drop-stealers.

Quote:

There always needs to be pointless lott. End of story.
Rech
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weapons they use against me and the armours they wear. I think it's really stupid when I kill a knight in full platearmour wielding two swords and get a pile of tin coins and a carrot. And no, this would not cause people to get ridiculous amounts of money because who the hell would pay much for some smelly old armour and dented swords. Maybe the smiths might buy them as scrap metal and melt it sell it poor adventurers. The amount of stuff people can carry is also limited so they cant carry everything they find, but they could actually monsters to get that cool sword they're carrying instead of getting just a goddamn leather glove after killing 50 of those monsters.

Set items? Huh? Ah, yeah. They sound kinda stupid to me. Maybe there could some two rings that belong together and give bonuses only then, but some randomly dropped 10-piece eq sets of ├╝berness dont sound very good to me. Oh, and those should be very rare.. stupid if some weak darklings drop magical items and stuff. Maybe you could get those from HARD quests with many parts or something, so we wouldnt see newbies running around shouting "L00K AT MY FULL R00NZ SET!!!11".

What kind of crafting resources? I guess it would be good if that stuff would be akarra-style things and not some lumps of iron ore carried by a darkling bowman.

Not getting the stuff I see on the monsters and getting coins from bunny rabbits. I hope we could also skin animals with proper skills, was kinda annoying to get a handfull of fur from a wolf!

Hum, dont know if it's too much for the server to handle the useless stuff laying on the ground. If so, it could just disappear in some time. Greedy newbies could also run around highbie areas gathering the stuff highbies dont bother selling, and getting a couple coins for it.. and dying to highbie monsters of course! Dunno, never had any problems with the useless stuff in any muds. Also brings some nice flavour if npcs/monsters have some personal stuff in their pockets, not just a pile of coins and 5% chance of dropping some piece of equipment.

BatMUD!
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in general what I am seeing here is the following.

- Set Items are ok but a fear that everyone will have 'l33t gear'
- Too few Set Items where everyone again has the same gear.
- Make all loot have a point in some way, or make a color code where items that aren't useful besides to sell would be say white.. while those used for crafting would be grey.. and those that are semi-rare, rare, unique, and Ancient etc.. would have its own color as well.
- Having mobs (humanoid) drop what they were carrying as loot. Rogues the leather armor etc.. or perhaps a piece of it.

Personally.. I hate the following

- Monsters that are killed to harvest a resource. This brings in spawn camping.. I would much prefer to see players have to journey all over the world to find different creatures to hunt for items etc.
- Unrealistic loot.. such as a bunny carrying a sword etc..
- Loot on young monsters just so players can make early money (combat this with NPC errand quests [crafting type].. as well as other NPC fighting quests etc..)

I would like a discussion some on expanding the set item idea. Personally, I don't think a player should be able to kill a monster and pick up Kalorian's Sword of Firepower. For one this player most likely would have no clue what he picks up, he would need to go to a scholar NPC or someone of intelligence of ancient equipment and items and find out what the item is.

So how would an Ancient System of Loot be considered with the community? Where for instance I would pick up an Ancient War Axe, and I would take it back to a Scholar and he would then for a price identify the item and give a little about the items history or such. Thus revealing its stats and if its possibly an item that was used by a certain hero or king of the past. most items would be identified as just a rare or semi-rare piece of equipment well sometimes you would stumble across a unique or set weapon/item.

Thoughts?
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unique sets would be nice. ;o
Oh and for that identification system, I don't really care, it's all the same to me. Though having history for some unique items sounds nice.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: