Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community Discussion: Loot - CD I
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Community Discussion: Loot - CD I Reply with quote

Thought I would toss up another Community Discussion this early morning as its becoming morning - midday for a lot of you Euro Folks. Gives you something to post and think about.

Without Further delay the questions.

------------

1. What do you like to find the most in loot? (loot being what you find from monsters you kill etc..)

2. Does finding Set Items interest you? Or would you rather found just very strong weapons?

3. Does finding crafting resources in loot bother you? Would it increase your interaction with the PC community or decrease?

4. What bugs you the most about Loot?

5. Whats your solution to getting rid of pointless loot? Or is there a solution?

-------------

Have at it guys.

Last edited by Kalorian on Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. What do you like to find the most in loot? (loot being what you find from monsters you kill etc..)

No comment. I can't really complain about how it worked in Akarra.

Quote:
2. Does finding Set Items interest you? Or would you rather found just very strong weapons?

I liked rare items from Diablo 2. Really ensured there was theoretically something better out there, especially since an item attribute also had its ranges: "Sapphire" meant +31-50% cold resistance. So even if you found one with that attribute, you could still find another with a little higher resistance. And if you found that, you'd need all the potential six attributes to be the most desirable, to be max, and to have the preferred base item. That really kept the definition of "the best equipment" ever changing. Getting the theoretically best items, that just didn't happen.

But I wouldn't mind Set Items, nope. Smile

Quote:
3. Does finding crafting resources in loot bother you? Would it increase your interaction with the PC community or decrease?

Increase, though I would probably share it with my guild/clan, first and foremost. Does it bother me? No, I don't mind.

Quote:

Dividing it or not understanding its purpose. Who buys it? What quest is it for? I mean, if an item is useless (for the version being), I want to be informed of that, whereas I don't really mind the temporary frustration of finding out which recipes an item is involved in. Smile

Quote:
5. Whats your solution to getting rid of pointless loot? Or is there a solution?

One (common) solution is to make level x monsters drop items situated for level x players. That way, pointless loot won't be too intense. The solution is of course to give the loot a point, heh.
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Loot CD I Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:

The excitement at not knowing precisely what you'd get. The challenge in beating some of the harder monsters, and knowing that the loot is often better.
Kalorian wrote:

Right.. what is Set Gear? Here, I interview a strange man with a fizzle stick:
Code:
[Foldyman] What does Kalorian|ZzZ mean by Set Items?
<Enquillion> items that belong together
 [Foldyman] Ahh.
<Enquillion> if you equip some or al of them you get additionalb onuses
 [Foldyman] ExamplĂ©?
<Enquillion> for example, say there is a set called Enquillion's Elitist Gear
 * Foldyman grins
<Enquillion> equip my staff, and you gain +50 CR
<Enquillion> nothing weird about that
<Enquillion> equip my robe and you gain +50 AC and +10 to all resistances
<Enquillion> sitll nothing weird
<Enquillion> but if both are equipped at once
<Enquillion> you gain an additional +50 health
<Enquillion> and so on and so on
 [Foldyman] 'kay

If it's put like that, I'd prefer a nice balance between Set and strong items. Ideally, no one piece of Set Equipment should be rarer than the other - this would reduce some lucrative trading, and camping. Strong items should be more common, since on their own, they would not match Set Item's strength.
Kalorian wrote:

Crafting resources was very fun, it increased my interaction with the PC community and broke the earlier (Akarra) repetitions of never returning to Hope.
Kalorian wrote:

Definitely Loot-stealers. I'd really rather have a system of where you kill a monster, the loot cannot be picked up by anyone else (excluding clan members.) As to fellowships, I would like the item to vanish - and offer the fellowship members chance of voting of whom to give an item to. This should settle disputes.
Kalorian wrote:

Make them more attractive and raise their rarity. This would increase their price as mementos even if they are pointless.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Malystryx
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the system for it in Akarra, you killed a lion, you were going to get a lion skin, but at the same time, you kill other creatures, you could get any number of items.

I'm a fan of set items, but sometimes it gets annoying when EVERYONE has the items, so I believe set items should come from particular bosses... you get one piece from such and such a boss who drops it once in a blue moon, then you go after the next, while strong weapons might be the only choice for some who don't have the patience (or friends)

I love finding resource loot, 'specially when you take into account that a goblin might not be wearing great armor but it's made of an awesome matierial... it just needs to be refined or the like. as for the interaction, it would probably increase my interaction with my clan or friends, not sure as to the community itself.

Nothing really bothers me when it comes to loot, other than finding something that you just can't use... but then I usually give it to someone who can or if nothing can be done with it, sell or drop.

as I said, I sell or drop loot that is pointless to me, if I can't give it to someone who it can help. many a time have I come back from an adventure to give a couple new people some great items they would never have a chance to get until much later... but that's usually if I like what they're doing, I'm certianly not going to give a pc killer a better weapon without a darn good reason (like they killed Stant)
Avoron
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the situation and what I need at the time.

Set Items are good, since it gives you a target to work for, but should be careful not to have so few Sets that virtually everyone has the same equipment, similar to the SCOH and SoA.

Would work better. It would encourage highbies maybe to take a break from lvl lvl coffee lvl e.t.c. and kill some weaker monsters for their crafting materials, which could then be sold/given. I'd like it if this game was more focused on skills, interaction, quests rather than all the power going to the people who spend 24/7 lvl lvl coffee lvl.

When I kill a monster for hours trying to get one item and someone comes and gets it with their first kill. ;__; And the problem of Ks'ing and dividing loot among a party.

Just make all the items have some kind of purpose, and it increases the chance of the player wanting to pick it up. Can't make every drop from every monster have some kind of meaningful purpose to the player.

<thewreck> thats bullshit
Ruisleipa
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Random stuff that could be found from that kind of monsters. You killed them however, thus why they should be low quality.

2. Into some extend. Maybe set items of 2-3 slots, but more than that is just unfitting in my opinion. Minor bonuses from set items aswell.

3. I'd rather have monsters not drop "resources" unless they're miners or tradefolk. Rather have seperate skills to melt gems off jewelry and raw materials like iron from swords. If this was the case, I think it'd increase overall interaction with players, if the thing I think you're after; decrease. Most people wouldn't like to carry semi-useless crap around them, I belive.

No comment to the rest. Neutral
maestro
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Loot CD I Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:

Being able to stack more items. In Akarra an armor took the same space as an apple. Being able to stack apples would probably mean that more people hang on to them. And of course, having pointless loot, is well... pointless, so make every item count in some way or another.
Origon
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Personally, I'd like to find some rare and strong items. Be it jewelry, armor, weapons or whatever as long as it doesnt drop like every 5 monsters but a very small drop %

2. Set items ? sure if they're rare + good enough. Not like being able to get a full set from like 20 kills - that'd make it useless and flood the market

3. Crafting resources ? doesn't really bother me if there's a need for them. I mean if someone besides me can actually use em, why not sell them and make whatever $$ i can off of em ? XD

4. The thing that probably bugs me the most is how common items drop in almost every game. And not just any items, all items. Its like every single monster has a piece of armor or cash on it. Loot should be rewarding, not dull enough so people leave half of it on the floor

5. to get rid of pointless loot, make it useful in one way or another. For example, you kill a bird monster for some feathers, and those feathers can be used for fly-fishing / hats / arrows / w/e. You kill some bear, pick up some meat, either cook it + eat it, use it in alchemy or feed it to some dogs Razz
LookinToDie
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The loot system in Akarra was just fine, I mean most items you got from monsters were not usable directly, you had to upgrade them. This should be preserved I think.

Quote:

Yeah, definitely. But you'd need maaany sets to have it properly balanced. However I agree with Ruis, the sets should give minor bonuses or you'd have everyone wearing the same thing. And I think they should be quite easy to get - to avoid the problem you get in DII - by the time you complete the set it's no longer of any use.

Quote:

As long as they are rare and really useful.

Quote:

No comment.

Quote:

No white fur from skeletons!!
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with that, LookinToDie. Maybe in classical Diablo 2, but not in LoD. I find sets hard to complete yes, but my Sorceress would still get way better if I had the entire Tal Rasha's um... Horadric... whatever set. I'd like set items to be rare and epic, possibly even unique. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: