Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community Discussion: Tradeskills - CD I
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh
An inn where you could buy drinks would be cool indeed.
Get Drunk at night in-game would be awesome Razz
I could be like it is in BG; If drink too mutch you will become drunk, and not be able to fight properly
It would be realy fun to hang out at a bar at night when when its t dark to fight. It would be like an interactive chat room, where you can hang arund and idle with yu're friends and ofcurse meet new friends
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, if you want the realism of a tavern, then you need to make Satch happy and add in whores.
*Stant passes Satch 5 gold coins.
Enjoy. =D
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Demonslayer7
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you could take one random step per every 5 steps when you are drunk! Razz
Dormeydo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Very Happy

A funny addition to the game Razz
At least one thing that makes the game *Special*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tyrael
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've stated before, I loathe mudane skills. *wonders if anyone else remembers the topics in the old Akarra forums where anyone who suggested mundane skills was flamed for being a noob*

Other people have stated pros, I can't think of anymore, so I'll do some cons.

Ever played Runescape? *shudder* I have. My loathing has no bounds with this game. All it is is a hellish amount of freaky mundane skills! Fighting just becomes another skill of many.

Camping. As Kal has seemed to state before in other topics camping things is not wanted. Well, if you want massive camping, mundane/trade skills is the best way to get it.

Fses. Craps on them. Sure, it may not affect much in the beginning but in the long run it will. You will have to go to some far off place and fight big monsters to get some high up resources for your "trade skill", say mining/smithing etc. Are you going to bring a fs? Not a chance. Everyone will go alone so they can get it themselves. And the fs was one of the best features of Akarra, and kind of how the community development. No fses=community breakdown.

Community. Like above. Craps on it. Despite what seems popular belief, skills like this dont really help community. There becomes too much competition to get the same resources. Even with the old system(Akarra) there was somewhat of a schism. Some people wanted to keep certain things to themselves, while others got jealous because they wanted it too, and generally at no cost. There were very heated discussions(ie: arguments) about it way back when and it was a long time before it settled down to a lukewarm debate that was only brought up every other week.

My conclusion? Mundane/trade skills on a large, or even medium, scale would really suck. They become incredibly boring and annoying.

Edit: Got a new one. Mundane skills tend to take the focus off of fighting, particularly on the side of devs. An expansive tree of trade skills generally means that the classes are cliche, and dont have as much depth, originality, and customization of character as would be possible otherwise.
Milktoast
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. What do you see as the pros and cons of adding in a Tradeskill system to Dawn of Daria?

I see many pros, not too many cons though of adding in a tradeskill system. Many of the pros are obvious; Players are able to do more than kill monsters. It allows players to have fun, and it gives a choice as to what they can do...

Another pro is that the tradeskill system allows more of a community based game, not a game where you go kill monsters, grab the money/loot, go sell it (loot), and buy better items. It also makes money have a better need than buying weapons and armour; Tradeskill sytems call for players to make money to keep their business thing, or trade, going...

Some cons of a tradeskill system are basic, not too many. A player can find a bug and abuse it, then get rich and dominate over everone else (gp-wise, and somewhat overall). Another con is that it leads to repetitive work - say theres mining and blacksmithing: A player has the job of getting material (for blacksmithing) and smithing it to create an item. Some other cons are just stuff like how much it consumes time, the addictivness, the boringness (sometimes), and overall - time consuming!

Quote:
2. What do you see as the pros and cons of making a merchant type of character solely for tradeskills?

A merchant type character is dumb. Having this would lead to a choice of players having domination over all others because of how rich they are. Another thing is; Some people have no desire to switch characters to fight, then do tradeskills...and when items are created - transfer it over to their other character and get rich...

Quote:
3. Whats your input on allowing Fighters & other types of players to be able to craft? Good? Bad?

Good - I think anyone that has intelligence can craft - Just because your an old fighter guy doesn't mean your too dumb to craft. What I mean by this is that it would be unrealistic to restrict fighters and other types of characters from crafting, example:

"You cannot craft this item because you are the class of a fighter"
or
"You cannot craft this item, You are restricted due to class choice."

Quote:
4. What tradeskills do you think are 'best' for Dawn of Daria?

I think all tradeskills would be best for DoD unless they're unbalanced..

Quote:
5. What tradeskills would you 'like' to see in Dawn of Daria?

I'll make it simple: All tradeskills, whatever the community asks for, and whatever the devs think of.
Mythalinear
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mundane Skills... *Cringes and shudders aloud*

I don't really know how to say this without stepping on someone's toes, but for the love of Pete, NO! Mundane skills, in my mind, sound like fun at first, but only at first. Making your own weapons/armour or even jewelery is neat... until you need an insane crafting skill to get the weapon you want. I've never seen emphisized mundane skills that stay fun and don't take away from the game. Given the choice of mindlessly beating on monsters and mindlessly beating rocks I will beat on monsters any day of the week. For mundane skills to become just as important (or even 1/4 as important) as adventuring would turn me away from any game.

sorry if you really like mundane skills, I didn't mean to offend anyone.
Sum Ting Wong
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone here has played puzzle pirates, you'll know where im coming from...

an idea for tradeskills is to make them into mini games, having some relation to the actual craft, such as making jewelry would be about manuvering pieces of jewels to line up with the correct color, and then a row clears or something, and base the quality of the item on the quality of the makers actual gameplay, and not on the fact that hte maker has nothing better to do than craft items all day long. actually, some mini games like that could be quite fun

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Enquillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would get tedious as well. In a probably even worse way.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: