Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community Discussion: Tradeskills - CD I
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that would benefit from trade skills is that we would finally be able to form guilds. (Not to be confused with clans) A Miner's Guild could collectively agree on what the market price for each mined mineral could be, and adjust those values as they see the need to, to create higher prices for some minerals by collectively agreeing to not mine so much, or flood the market with a newly discovered mineral in an old abandoned mine...
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Avoron
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll skip some questions since I've no useful ideas to give. - _-

2. What do you see as the pros and cons of making a merchant type of character solely for tradeskills?

Could be boring. I mean, merchant type of character could be fun buying and selling, but when everyone else parties and goes off to hunt somewhere, not sure if merchants would be able to follow and fight with them. Maybe merchants could be an alternative class. If you do a quest/get high enough level or whatever, you could unlock the merchant class and use it as an alt? I can't see how having a merchant as your main could have advantages that would make the game as enjoyable as other classes.. I mean, other classes would be able to buy/sell their items as well..

3. Whats your input on allowing Fighters & other types of players to be able to craft? Good? Bad?

Perhaps different branches of Fighters & other types of players could have special abilities to craft certain items, although I don't support the idea of one character being able to progress in every skill in the game, i.e. RuneScape. It defeats the point of having a unique character specialized in something.

4. What tradeskills do you think are 'best' for Dawn of Daria?

Don't think the target should be on creating the 'best' tradeskills, but having lots of different tradeskills, each in their own category. A class could be related to a category and for a character to be efficient in what they do, they would have to learn all the skills in that category. Also, there should be skills which are only availible to certain classes. A character should have strengths but should also have weaknesses, therefore encouraging teamplay.

<thewreck> thats bullshit
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. What do you see as the pros and cons of adding in a Tradeskill system to Dawn of Daria?

First and foremost, I don't find it bad if some players find a recipe and then use it for monopoly. They found it, not you. Why should you benefit from their efforts? Go find it yourself instead. Me and Azura spent hours finding the recipe for the Assassin's Stiletto of Venom. We sure as hell didn't feel that you crybabies should have it for free. Gorilla found it out himself, and gave it to you. That was his choice and I don't think any less of him for that. That's really all I have to say on this one.

Quote:
2. What do you see as the pros and cons of making a merchant type of character solely for tradeskills?

Powerlevel is a con. I'd like tradeskills and other skills to use different skill points or what have you. That way you wouldn't need to have a character devoted to crafting, or at least it would give you no extra benefits.

Quote:
3. Whats your input on allowing Fighters & other types of players to be able to craft? Good? Bad?

Um, good. :P

Quote:

5. What tradeskills would you 'like' to see in Dawn of Daria?

I'll answer these as one, though I will just be rambling names: Fletching, Carpentry, Mining, Blacksmithing, Tailoring, Fishing, Farming, Cooking, Skinning, Leatherworking, Woodcutting, to name a few.

Also I think Stant's idea about appraising is good. I have a little idea. It's a tad similar to identifying powers of herbs in Morrowind.

If you are good with daggers and/or enchantments, you get different stats when you look at a dagger (a novice would just see the base stats without any enchantments). An experienced used could identify a not so obvious flaw, sense an enchantment, etc etc. There is no way to tell if you have all the skills to fully identify the dagger. This could even mean that once you've become really good with daggers and enchantments you could discover some really good buys among what to the novice seems like ordinary daggers. Also, if you can't identify a magical enhancement, it will not affect the dagger while you use it. Rant... but good?
Malystryx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I post my... 1/2 a cent on this subject, I'd like to know some other details about how you might want to run the trade skills. I've seen several different styles from the more you use a skill it advances to you putting points into them as you advance in level. One of the things I enjoyed about Akarra was the gem system, though that can be abused... but back in the day, as some people here would remember, like Stant, there was a game we played that let you spread out how you were training skills and abilities. when you leveled up, depending on where you put points you got, they would advance according to pre-determined ratios. Like, for example, you had 100 points and you spread them out between putting 30 into this bow skill or 40 into that lightning skill and when you leveled up you got a level or 2... sometimes nothing when you didn't have enough points into it but it still had that percentage and when you leveled up again it might level that skill up. While I know that's not exactly what you're looking for, being able to train a sword skill along side getting more hit points with learning how to forge might be a really interesting way to go. I know this is going to lead to people who create characters for specific trees, but no fighter is going to last long if he can't even sharpen his sword. This would lead to people who normally wouldn't be in a party being asked to join, even more so at low level if you're struggling with one area while someone else is struggling in annother like a typical fighter/merchant relationship, and can lead to interesting friendships.

Yes, this was probably rather random, but I'm tired Razz
Dw
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'd like to say that I couldn't be arsed to read through others' replies. These are my own opinions anyway, so:

Quote:
1. What do you see as the pros and cons of adding in a Tradeskill system to Dawn of Daria?

Tradeskills add variety to the game so it isn't just monster bashing. People crafting items and enchanting them etc is encouraging player run economy, which is imho better than the common system, where you can buy everything from the lowliest dagger to the Sword of InstaGib +666 from a shop around the corner.
Then again, tradeskills can be boring if it's just clicking a single spot all the time (ie mining in Dransik), which results into macroing etc.
To counter this, tradeskills shouldn't give exp. But...

Quote:

...then again this wouldn't work. Either the system would have to be really well made so the players couldn't just macro themselves to maxlevel in no time while others fight their ass off against monsters. This type of character could also be very boring to play afterall if you couldn't do anything except sell stuff.
Joining some parties for getting a rare item required to craft something else would be nice though. Expeditions(sp?) to lands far away to get a legendary item.. now I sound gay. Very Happy
Even with all this whine, I'm pretty sure the class could work if there was a way to counter all the cheaters.

Quote:

If there's a merchant class and no dual/multiclassing, then fighters etc shouldn't be able to make anything out of ordinary. If no merchant class was included, then I'd simply have it stat-based system or something like that. So I don't really mind them being able to craft stuff as long as merchants have a big advantage over them. But wizzies enchanting is a thing you MUST include! Wink

Quote:

Hard to say as there is no game yet. Can't think of anything out of the ordinary except enchating stuff. Haven't seen that in any mmogs I've played Surprised

Quote:

Enchating. Enchating. Enchating. Enchating. Enchating. Even though it's not excatly a tradeskill, still. Akarra's recipe system was also quite nice even though a bit annoying at times. Some of the recipes were simply too hard to figure out without any clues, and it relied heavily on fighters getting the stuff from monsters they kill. Though this is most likely just because there were no tradeskills in Akarra. :E

Somehow I see merchant as a kind of jack of all trades, such as a bard. Even though merchant excels at selling and doing things with stuff (does he? ¦þ) he can't be left helpless against monsters. And imho he should have some minor healing skills too.

Just my five cents, we don't use 2 and 1 cent coins here in Finland. :------PP

edit: managed to screw up a quote
edit2: Oh, throw in alchemy. Potion-crafting etc. A must-have :]

Last edited by Dw on Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Ruisleipa
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. More stuff to do, player interaction. Nothing bad.

2. I don't think it's a good idea. I'd rather see tradeskill experience use a different system, or atleast be independant from combat experience. Otherwise it'd be killed by highlevel people powerleveling themselves super crafters whilst the real hard working folk would find themselves without any buyers.

3. Seperate skills from combat. I can't give any good arguments, I've just seen it work good in other games.

4. Mining, lumberjacking, woodcrafting, blacksmithing, jewelry making, tanning, leathercraft.

5. Like Ransk said, enchanting. Alchemy would be neat too.
LookinToDie
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Tradeskills - CD I Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:

Well, basically the major 'con' is the repetitiveness, pointed out already. Having a tradeskill-only character might be even more boring than having a fighter-only character. So I think these should be combined.

For instance, introduce an attribute like hunger that weakens you and you'll have fighters taking a break from slashing monsters for xp to hunt rabbits for food or to fish. Then have rangers or some similar class have the ability to tame horses, give the thief the ability to convert currencies etc.

As for mining/crafting, you can't avoid having a tradeskill-only character. Then the exploring side of it should be important. Make ore deposits appear randomly on the map and giving a very limited amount of ore. More valuable ore should appear in high-level areas, so that you'll have to have a bunch of fighters guarding you while you mine. Then return to town and chat away while forging a super-duper-blade-of-apocalypse. You get the idea Smile

EDIT: Yeah; and for skills, hunting, fishing, mining, blacksmithing, the arrow-making-skill-of-which-I-can't-remember-the-name, potion making, taming, leather..err craft?
BudMan
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by BudMan on Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Dakkaroth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BudMan wrote:
Id like to see a Merchant class. I think he should have decent fighting skills and armor. If he was too weak he would be too big a target. I think it would be cool if you could get a discount at the shops. The higher your level and skills, the better your discount would be.

I think it would be cool if he was useful in party combat too. Like if he had skills that made the monsters drop more money. Or Items worth more money. Or maybe he would be able to carry alot more items then the avrage char.

I like the Idea of many clases that would aid a party/clan. Support chars like cleric's that were not meant for direct combat.

Sombodys been playing Ragnarok...

=P
BudMan
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by BudMan on Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: