Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IRC CD - Contiued for Topic: Perception
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LookinToDie
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archosseus wrote:
Well look at it this way: If there's a creature in the shadows or is invisible (to you), on your "radar" the arrow would point its direction but since you can't see it (because it's in the shadows) how else are you going to make it appear on the "radar" if the skills aren't devided but you just have one perception?

Well, the arrow only points in the possible direction of the creature. It doesn't reveal the exact location. Those red dots on the minimap were actually the creatures really close to you, that you saw on the screen.

Archosseus wrote:
LookinToDie wrote:
If you don't like the arrow thing at all, will you present your ideas?

I never said I didn't like it, did I? Wink
It's just my personal instinct (and perhaps for everyone) to prefer my own ideas over others, but that doesn't mean I don't like your idea.

Heh, true Wink
Sum Ting Wong
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if instead of an arrow, a portion of the circle would light up, like in a pie chart. so if you have a very bad perception skill, and theres a creature somewhere to your right, half of the circle will light up with the creature being somewhere in that half. as the skill improves, the highlighted area will narrow down until its easy to recognize a direction.

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Avaith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sum Ting Wong is on to something. His idea makes it easier to implement the perceptions leveling system. At level 1, half the circle is lit. At level 5, 1/3 is lit. At level 10 1/4 is lit. etc. I think it is an excelent idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LookinToDie
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sum Ting Wong wrote:
what if instead of an arrow, a portion of the circle would light up, like in a pie chart. so if you have a very bad perception skill, and theres a creature somewhere to your right, half of the circle will light up with the creature being somewhere in that half. as the skill improves, the highlighted area will narrow down until its easy to recognize a direction.

Yeah, might look good. But again, if you have 3 or 4 creatures that you can notice, what will it look like?
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on your skill, if it would be just a narrow 'beam', then i guess just several beams, and any that would run together just form a larger one.

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Archosseus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently thinking of a decent way to avoid spam on such "Radar" look-alikes. You could always thicken the arrows so they cover a certain point. West to North for example.
When there's one creature close, it's just a simple arrow but when there are 3+ it would turn thick to avoid twenty arrows spamming the radar. At later the levels (perhaps highest) of perception, the part would show a number. The number of creatures in that direction.

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And... you can add an uncertainty percentage. Even if the skill is 'awesome', it should never be very accurate.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Well, you could make up a midevil looking radar screen and use the large pie slices, small pie slices, arrow beams, and dots to mean different levels of perception, different colors to mean the different senses, and in the case of an overload situation such as a town, if the radar is fairly small and onobtrusive or possibly even out of the way, such as a tabbed page on your screen like how in akarra we had to click a tab for our inventory, a tab for FSes, a tab for friends, ect....

Add RTSI (Real Time Sensory Info) to the list of tabs and then if you're out in the wilderness hunting you can take advantage of it, but when you run into a city or whatever, you switch to your inventory or friends list or character sheet since you're gonna likely be using those there, that way you don't get slammed with sensory overload unless you really like it because you have a flashing light fettish or no friends or something.

I figure in such a tab you could get the minimap up top, a notice of each level of sensory info below it, and hopefully in the space left over, info on what the map is telling you. I think I'll use an old Akarra image to illustrate my thoughts here... I'll post it some other time when I get around to doing it. ;P

*Edit* Going back through some old images I found out that no new tabs would be needed, there's a perfectly good tab already there that was under utilized. =D Anyways, here's the image.

Code:
http://www.geocities.com/wookie54/perception.html

This way you get your text read out of what's going on and your game play area isn't affected and you get highlighted info on a map. Everybody gets a little bit of what they want.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Archosseus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't too bad Stant. ;D

I like it. Though it does have to be updated every second (so you don't need to switch tabs to see it updated). I don't know how Daria's HUD interface would look like but the RTSI would be handy, in my opinion.

How would it develop in levels though? More creatures displayed?

Nice idea, got my support.

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have mine too.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: