Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IRC CD - Contiued for Topic: Perception
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: IRC CD - Contiued for Topic: Perception Reply with quote

Hello all,

For those of you that were unable to attend the Community Discussion on IRC. I have highlighted the main points of this topic and pasted them below. For a full read of the community discussion head over the Archives for the log.

Please continue the discussion for those that missed it put your 2 cents in.

1. Perception (definition - Being able to See, Hear, Smell or track monsters or certain things is what we are refering when we talk about perception in Daria)

- Some monsters not being able to attack you in the dark
- Not being able to attack monsters without a lantern or light source in some instances.
- Monsters hunting players
- afriad of 'all or nothing' skill that would hamper other skills.
- place caps on certain races the max amount of ability from a certain perception. elves hearing and dwarves tracking examples.
- Perceptions increase based on time played in a region or area or terrain zone.
- Ability to be able to 'limitly' train perceptions.
- Perceptions would be color coded for simplicity. Red to hear - Blue to see etc.. and a small colored circle would appear where you are sensing something at higher levels of perception. Would be accompanied with text. Text would be the starting point for perception
- Possible an animation of a ripple effect coming away from the center point on the map for the highest level of perception.

---------------

Unanswered Questions -

-How is it going to be displayed in text?
-How many levels of perception should be added for each perception?
-Should there be an emphasis on racial bonus for certain terrain or region types? Knowing his/her homeland better than another
race. As well as racial bonuses for certain perceptions in general. Perhaps starting perceptions?

Have at it.
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: IRC CD - Contiued for Topic: Perception Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:
- Perceptions would be color coded for simplicity. Red to hear - Blue to see etc.. and a small colored circle would appear where you are sensing something at higher levels of perception. Would be accompanied with text. Text would be the starting point for perception
- Possible an animation of a ripple effect coming away from the center point on the map for the highest level of perception.
-How is it going to be displayed in text?
-How many levels of perception should be added for each perception?

A few thoughts I had on that part but didn't say because I want to give the thread some discussion.

4 levels of perception for hearing.
Level: None - you just hear the normal abient sounds of the area and take no notice of the changes going on around you.
Level: Low - Your screen flashes with a color real quick signaling that you heard something not normal, but you can't pinpoint any direction. (Would allow mountainous terrain to have echos that fool the best listeners.)
Level: Medium - You get a quick screen flash as well as a cone flash (meaning like a pie shaped color effect from your player lighting up an eigth of the screen) from your player in the direction you hear the noise.
Level: High - You get the quick flash, the cone flash, and then maybe a circle to narrow it down to a few trees or bushes.

3 levels of perception for seeing.
Level: None - You don't notice anything out of the ordinary.
Level: Low - You get the cone effect as mentioned above letting you know you saw something in that direction.
Level: High - You get the cone flash then a circle to outline a few bushes trees, building corner, ect. to let you know exactly what you saw.

3 levels of perception for smell.
Level: None - You don't smell anything out of the ordinary.
Level: Low - You get a screen flash letting you know you smell something odd in the area.
Level: High - You get a screen flash, then a cone flash to help you better locate the direction the smell is comming from.

As for text, I don't see the necessity, except maybe to add to the screen flash that says you hear something, see something, or smell something strange.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Avaith
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pretty good ideas. I don't know if I would really want something flashing at me though, it could get annoying, possibly say in the text box, "You hear something strange coming from the North East."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odds are, if you're trying to train and advance those abilities to the point where you get to a level above none, you're going to want them. I would tend to think that you're wasting your time training them if you don't plan on using them.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
LookinToDie
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: IRC CD - Contiued for Topic: Perception Reply with quote

Stant wrote:
3 levels of perception for seeing.
Level: None - You don't notice anything out of the ordinary.
Level: Low - You get the cone effect as mentioned above letting you know you saw something in that direction.
Level: High - You get the cone flash then a circle to outline a few bushes trees, building corner, ect. to let you know exactly what you saw.

Wouldn't it be better if you actually saw this something on the screen instead of getting all those flashes and cones? The cones as described above worked well in HL, so they might be nice for hearing or smelling. As for the flash, you don't want your game to turn into a gay flicker if you have a hundred Darklings sneaking up on you ;F

Another thing, the character should have a "high-perception" mode, in which he can't fight, moves slower or can't move at all to concentrate on watching, hearing or smelling.
DarkHydra
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we pass our cursor over a creature it'll pop up with its name right? Perception bonuses could make other info pop up with the name. Perhaps at lower levels it would give info on its general condition description, ie wounded, severely wounded, near death, etc. It could give limited info on strengths or weakness, ie high attack, low armor, very quick, weak against crushing, etc. At more advenced levels you could get more detailed info like hit point count in the pop up. Since it's a passive skill it seems inconvenient to have to press a button to turn on your senses, afterall a highly perceptive individual is always perceptive unless under certain stressing situations (fatigued, scared, etc). As far as training goes I actually think it should be based on the number of that creature that the player has killed with that character. Diablo did something similar, eventually if you killed enough of a creature you learned its statistics. This makes sense since it's done in real life. I'd rather have the info there on the screen then poping up in my chat window where it could get lost if there's a lot of chatter. Screen flashes seem somewhat vague and could be easily missed by the player even though the character picked it up. Also it might present a problem for color blind players who may not be able to distinguish (almost insignificant I know Wink ). Mouse over displays just seem like the most efficient way to me, especially in combat.

Btw, when I read through the CD part on Perception I couldn't help but think of the British military sniper program. IIRC they spend a week out on a range learning to spot small pieces of gear spread throughout a valley area. We're talking a sheath, cleaning rod, covered canteen, etc. It's not that their eyesight got better, just that their mind learns to pick out patterns.

As far as racial or regional bonuses goes, I think they do have a place...mm...lost my thought.
Saven
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this:

To display that you have sensed something an image of a noes or ear or eye would appear above the player's head, with an arrow pointing to where the disturbance is.

the higher your level in that sense the more directions the arrows can face. i.e. at level 1 you have only four arrows, but eventualy you can get up to 36.

example:
Level 1, saw something comming from the right:

I dunno, just a thought.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, that's a pretty neat suggestion, Saven. Only worried about how it might completely cover the guy north of you, but still damn neat. ^^
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saven wrote:
How about this:

To display that you have sensed something an image of a noes or ear or eye would appear above the player's head, with an arrow pointing to where the disturbance is.

the higher your level in that sense the more directions the arrows can face. i.e. at level 1 you have only four arrows, but eventualy you can get up to 36.

example:

How can you have 36 arrows/directions in a 2D game? Other than that, it's an excellent idea.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
LookinToDie
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saven wrote:
How about this:

example:

I dunno, just a thought.

It's a nice idea but needs some further development. What about at level 1 you get 1 arrow. Thus for example, if a Darkling is trying to sneak up on you, you will be informed if it's from the North or not from the North that he is crawling. Then the further you progress, the more additional arrows you get.. up to 3 at highest level(really hard to reach and only for certain character classes). Otherwise it's way too easy. Might as well implement some racial differences.. like Najos being deaf of left ear, humans not seeing very well with their right eye etc. Different races may also have different starting conditions, too. For instance their first arrow pointing in different directions...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: