Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game Design Problem and Items

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeb
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Game Design Problem and Items Reply with quote

Hello

I thought maybe somebody here has an idea for this problem:

Consider a place in Daria where you can get a special kind of item if you belong to a certain faction. Which faction this is depends on another thing, such as a trigger, and different factions compete to control this trigger (in order to get the special item).

Now, the problem is, let's say faction A controls the trigger, and player X is in faction B. How should we prevent X from creating a new character that joins faction A, gets the special item and then hands it to X?

Suggestions?
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
Miklotov
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ideas shortly went into brain,...
item is only tradeable on same faction still dropable but only due to death
item is only tradebale on same faction still dropable but only if no opposit faction is close (range) and/or 2 or more players from same factions need to be in party to drop,.. item is only euqipable during party. Item is only equipable when beeing part of a clan guild party,... item has a cooldown after beeing used ,... item that is gathered through the trigger is will be destroyed when passed to faction b as faction b would need to do it the same way like faction a control the trigger and and get the special item
Vilinh
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of if the item touches a person's hand that doesn't belong in the faction, the item gets destroyed.

Its kind of like the item detects you aren't worthy to wield it, so BOOM, its gone.

Good luck on Daria. May there be no lagg
Miklotov

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say more as it would depend on the the idea itself for diffrent (quests) there are diffrent solutions
Mullvalen
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the item is so special that its worth creating a new character to get it, it will probably be guarded by monsters or something like that, which would mean you will have to level up your new character, and none would do that to get an item, especially when there are great items for your faction too.

Why not set an level requirement to control the trigger?
Miklotov

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mullvalen
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:17 pm Post subject:
If the item is so special that its worth creating a new character to get it, it will probably be guarded by monsters or something like that, which would mean you will have to level up your new character, and none would do that to get an item, especially when there are great items for your faction too.
Why not set an level requirement to control the trigger?

There is always someone creating a new char for those reasons, or just to anoy others!!!

sorry but,... next time: read twice --> think about ---> maybe post a reply

Another idea is the item has no effect for opposite faction, as its power are given depending on what faction used the trigger to get the item. So it has only effect for those who belong to the ones who created/spawned/... the item the 1st time. The item could become useless if droped (touching the ground) and/or
traded

Btw: Items with greater Powers and effect on the world should not been allowed to have in inventory when logging off so they're always ingame and canm never get lost on a char that stops playing or goes on holdidays,...
Mullvalen
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miklotov wrote:
sorry but,... next time: read twice --> think about ---> maybe post a reply.

Im really sorry to go offtopic, but what did you refer on here?

To stay on topic though i´ll share another idea:
Why not prevent players from having characters in different factions at all. There are a lot of other problems that comes with this concept with factions. For example people can create spy characters...it may sound a little boring to be bound to one faction at a time if you play with different characters but WoW uses this technique and it works well.
thewreck
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with this is that daria will not have 'two' static factions.

first of all there will be many factions, and they will be much more dynamic in their nature. Also, you may be apart of many factions, so it gets complex quickly if we are to limit accounts to certain factionsets
Miklotov

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah or just a timer, i think i mentioned that before
Log in with character A from faction A You will be forced to play with this char or wait a certain amount of time before you can play charater B from faction B but you will be able to create or play character C from faction A aswell.

This will not be a solution to prevent palyers from trading with mates
"Player 1 Character X faction A" with the item, is still able to trade with "Player 2 Character X faction B" So there are not many solutions for this problem maybe a mix of things mentioned here will work for some of them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: