Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

animated
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Thanquol - The producers/developers of Blizzard's "World of Warcraft" did an amazing job with the game. They were also payed very well to make things happen. This is a past time for the Daria Staff, that we all are taking seriously regardless if we are getting payed. Asking thewreck or kinten to sit down for a month and design 1,200+ animations for a single character is asking way too much for 'not' being payed.

Is it the way to go commercially if we wanted to try and sell this game? Perhaps.

Is it the way to go for the future sanity of the Daria Staff and getting the game out in the near future and not the next 5 years? No.

"3D Animation" is the way to go these days if you plan to sell your game. In that case you should be argueing that Daria should be 3d and perhaps that is the way to go. Some of the best games have had simple graphics and the greatest game play.. while some games that have had the best graphics have had some of the worst gameplay.
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The WiA gfx were swell. The only thing I would want changed about them is well.....nothing. I don't think animation is the way to go. Especially if you want to play before you die. The big games with big communities also gave a very big dev team. They also get payed big bucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:
@Thanquol - The producers/developers of Blizzard's "World of Warcraft" did an amazing job with the game. They were also payed very well to make things happen. This is a past time for the Daria Staff, that we all are taking seriously regardless if we are getting payed. Asking thewreck or kinten to sit down for a month and design 1,200+ animations for a single character is asking way too much for 'not' being payed.

And to note they have endless developers on a game.
Perhaps animations should be a later point of suggestion, when there are more developers. It's not smart making all those animations but just not having enough of the rest. I'd rather have a solo image walking around but with good landscape, a lot of equipment choises, skills, spells etc. then that animation thing but in a plain world.

Kalorian wrote:
Some of the best games have had simple graphics and the greatest game play.. while some games that have had the best graphics have had some of the worst gameplay.
That's very true.
I think the majority of the people on this forum would rather choose the first. And that's what I think is the way to go. Why would you want fancy 3D at the cost of triple time if you have excellent gameplay? ;D

Doom 3 is a good example for the second. Great graphics, bad gameplay. What attracted the people to buy that game is most likely the engine it used. Very rich graphics, like a test of 'see if my pc can handle this game'. The graphics was great, the gameplay sucked. (personal experience)

If there ever should come an animation, but just one, I think it should be attacking. Seeing a player standing next to a monster as if they were taking a picture but hearing weapon sounds seems... odd.

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
thewreck
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this really is a very old topic. Daria is going to feature animated characters, and at least some basic form of direction. We are working on the design of a system which would allow us seamless directions (360) degree, while still being 2d and relatively little work + animations of course..
Hayes
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewreck wrote:
this really is a very old topic. Daria is going to feature animated characters, and at least some basic form of direction. We are working on the design of a system which would allow us seamless directions (360) degree, while still being 2d and relatively little work + animations of course..

Cool. I'd hate to see that old school 2D feel go out the window Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: