Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(Unplanned) Community Discussion - Market Flooding
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BudMan
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is way too much infomation in this thread for me to abosrb all of it. I think a basic system would be the best.
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stant thats the idea. In the vary simplest form it would look the following

Race 1 - Copper
Race 2 - Tin
Race 3 - Rocks (forget who said this in IRC lol)
Race 4 - Iron
Race 5 - use your imagination.. etc..

All these currencies would mainly remain equal to each other. But if a player was going to trade with anothe player of a different race then they would run into problems. Race 1 can't use Tin in his home cities as vendors only accept copper in his territory. So getting Tin from this trade would require both parties to go to a currency exchange of some sort and pay a fee to get it exchanged etc.. So instead what happens is they use the race wide recognized economy, shiney gems. Possibly 3-4 levels of gems and such. This would be the main focus of PC to PC trade. NPC's would buy back items and sell items for that races currency.

Thats along the lines what I was thinking of.

Last edited by Kalorian on Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Avaith
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:

Race 3 - Rocks (forget who said this in IRC lol)

ME Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Pre
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bud, that is a complicated money system. So there are going to be 5 races in the game that all have a different currency? But gems are common?
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a 'random' amount of races in the post. I am not specifying the 'amount' of races we will have as we are not ready to release that information.

It would be nice to have different types of money for the races that wouldn't flucuate but would be the lesser end and only those currencies would be accepted in the appropriate towns. Players would then resort to gems as the main focus of trading/selling.

Thats the idea behind it.
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so if a character is going to explore foreign lands, he can trade in some of his rock/copper/tin for some gems. And then when he gets the a town with a different race, again trade in gems for the other currency? That could be cool.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so in laymans terms, the hill giants deal in rocks... You don't got any well, you're not buying anything either. Humans like their standard copper/silver/gold and will only trade in that. Forrest trolls for some reason developed an affinity for tin and decided to use that as their currency of choice. Finally the merpeople use shells as their trade staple.

All races have people that will exchange for other currencies because they know the importance of trade.

Gems, however, recognized as being slightly magical in nature by all races, due to experimenting with adding them to items and stuff, will trade for them.

But then, it better be made so that gems can never be purchaced or else NPC's will be abused to make money. Undoubtedly, someone will figure out that fightin this monster drops this item, taking this item here and selling it, exchanging money here and buying that, selling this item here in a third place, changing money again and buying gems, taking the gems to the highest buyer and viola... Money made... So to prevent that, currency exchange will have to be static, and any universal currencies such as gems should never be allowed to be purchaced.

But then again, if you want to reward people for being inventive enough to figure out money abuse schemes, feel free to leave it in and make all rates variable. At least if everything is variable and rates change often enough, posted techniques will be useless, especially if the rates change at random intervals so that no one will be able to figure out how long you'll have that scheme for...
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Stant - as stated above NPC's would not purchase gems and would use the currency of their type. But I see it feasible to be able trade gems into a currency exchange but not getting the full value of the gem back in money. This is for "desperate" measures if a player really needs some uber lantern of the white light or something. But then again I feel the player would resort to selling the gems to PC's to get the full value of the gem.

The discussion died off on this topic. Everyone agrees/likes a type of system like this for money? What about the money flooding ideas/preventions stated by several of the members in the community?
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:
...uber lantern of the white light...

I gotta get me one of those.

Seriously though...

I went through this thread and read a few posts a while ago, skimmed through a bit, forgot a lot, but I don't see how changing the money system prevents item flooding. In fact, I'm not sure I see the point of making different currencies besides realism. Did I miss something?
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes haha, slow down your skimming there were a few suggestions about how to prevent items from flooding the market.. soulbound type of system.. npcs being certain items that are flooded in the game for more money.. adding enchantments and gems to an item will add to its poweress but will lose durability and will have a degrade timer for those enchantments. Once the enchantment wears off it takes part of the items strength with it. So the item becomes less useful.

There are more but I can't go back and look at the posts as I am typing this.

The money idea came from different ideas. The worry was about budmans idea flooding the market with money.. so in order to prevent people from building up 100g and ruling all or whatever.. 100g could be meaningless if there is a lot of money. The real value of currency would be in the gems and such.. not standard currency of each race.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: