Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(Unplanned) Community Discussion - Market Flooding
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: (Unplanned) Community Discussion - Market Flooding Reply with quote

This CD was not planned by thewreck or Kinten. I have decided to post this CD to get more thoughts and ideas on this very touchy topic about controlling the player market and making sure items don't get flooded and such.

I like the system WoW uses with the soulbound items only being able to be sold to NPC's after a player uses it. Would a similar system like this work for Daria?

What other ideas or solutions do you have to the problem of item flooding in games such as this.

I look forward to discussing this topic with the community.
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i really like the idea of an entirely player controlled market, but as we all know, the prices would be very high due to very few people selling a certain item. Something like Hood selling the clawed green/frost gloves (Damn that was a good time Wink But anyways, I feel that the npcs should sell basic items, and the 'better' items for high prices but buy them back at very low prices. So people would rather try to find other player-sellers because it'd be nefit them to buy it from them. But players should not be the only way of buying something, since the market would be controlled and dominated way too easily by a few...high level characters who decide to band together and raise the prices on some items.
DarkHydra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really familiar with WoW soulbinding system, but I have seen systems where equipped weapons have a type of leveling system. It would be like the player is getting more familiar with the weapon they use, so they learn through practice to be more effective with it. Each level of proficientcy would give some bonus to using it. If the weapon was sold or dropped then the proficientcy level would be reset so that you couldn't just buy the leveled item. And selling the item and acquiring another just like it would still result in having to start over again. Even with a low level-cap on the weapon it might increase the item's worth since replacing it would mean starting over again.

The major disadvantage with this would be if the weapon was dropped accidentally, since that would result in having to start over multiple times and could get frustrating. Though this could add to the fear of death...
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There where a topc in the akarra forum about this
http://forums.akarra.net/index.php?showtopic=6193&st=0
This thread includes proficientcy level for items and somethings about crafting
There was allso a suddestion there which i liked, that you can level items. Weapons grew more powerful when you kill monsters, ie the weapons gets xp and levels.
I don't know how this will work or if it could be implanted in a good way
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you explain the soulbinding weapon system from WoW more fully?
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Dw
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manifold wrote:
Could you explain the soulbinding weapon system from WoW more fully?

There are certain items, which become soulbound when you pick them up, some other items become soulbound when you wear them.
When an item is soulbound, it is useable ONLY by the character it has been bound to and cannot be traded to other players, only to NPCs.
All quest items become soulbound when picked up.
Guess that sums it up :p

My opinion on this? Dunno really, I have nothing against it though.
DarkHydra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dormeydo, that's sort of what I was talking about. This should be different for Magical Weapons and normal weapons though. When you gain a level of proficiency with a Normal weapon you wield it more effectively. A proficiency level with a Magical weapon might either be more effective wielding OR learning to tap into the magical power of the weapon. This would all have to be tweaked of course.
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dw wrote:
There are certain items, which become soulbound when you pick them up, some other items become soulbound when you wear them.
When an item is soulbound, it is useable ONLY by the character it has been bound to and cannot be traded to other players, only to NPCs.
All quest items become soulbound when picked up.
Guess that sums it up :p

I agree with this.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
DarkHydra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I like the idea of unique quest items being soulbound. Usable items (like weapons, armor, rings, etc) I'd rather not see soulbound. If there's levels, have them reset, otherwise it would really hurt the economy I'd think, if there's was limited trade.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing nothing about how the WoW system works since I've never played it, I would support this only if it were applied to certain items only as it seems to be the case. "Special" items that could be sold for a heavy profit due to player bidding wars, should follow a soulbound method so that these things don't spiral out of control and people don't get robbed of their entire hard earned savings. On that same note, a majority of the items shouldn't follow this pattern. It would really suck to not be able to trade weapons/armor/items to other people simply because I equipped it to try it out, especially if it was a weapon I didn't favor to begin with, but wanted to see if it held any advantage against a creature or object. I'll post more thoughts on this after I've seen more opinions.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: