Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coloured Lighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Coloured Lighting Reply with quote

This is of some semblance to some other posting I did in WiA forums.

I'd really like the introduction of coloured lighting in game. For example, in Akarra, the Bekartons Hammer was blue in lettering, the Fire Necklace was red in lettering. If these items could glow their lettering colour in the game, then the visual effect would be.. stunning. The colours could merge, eg Blue and Red items would become Purple.

Something tagging onto this would be making sunset in Daria tinge everything in red. I'm sure this can be expanded upon too.

Comments?
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Origon
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The item glow itself would make for a very nice addition. Adds a bit more variety and eye-candy to the project, but im pretty sure that they got the sunset covered in one way or another due to thewreck's post in the Day/Night thread Very Happy
thewreck
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. i wasnt suggesting it would be visually MORE stunning, just that time of day would mean more to the game.

2. I personally asked khaile back in the days when he was working on akarra to add colored lighting, he said it was hard to implent, and that it would take up lots of cpu. Not impossible however.

3. Even if we find a way to add it, its not exactly top priority
Manifold

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I can still dream. Yes, it's not priority, but make sure it's on your list of things to do when and if Daria ever goes Gold. :]

EDIT: Mayhaps there could be an option to turn it on or off, just for those who'd like to screw their comp.

Rech
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if radioactive characters would be cool, but it might be nice for spell effects etc.

BatMUD!
Zephyr
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of a red tinge at sunset and sunrise would be wonderful. I'm not sure if it'd work with the day getting darker though- since it is a 2D game afterall.
<Enquillion> I got that last year, and it had a 5 year warranty, so I'm not getting another Sad
jeb
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lighting in Akarra worked like this:

Each cell had a 4-bit "light intensity value", ie a value ranging from 0 (completely black) to 15. Each time anything moved this value was recalculated for all objects that were emitting light (players, monsters, etc) so that the cells got the correct intensity when they were rendered. Obiously there was a base value, depending on the time of the day (I think it was 13 at "noon", and 0 during the night).

Anyway, if you would like to add color to the light you would have to replace the color intensity array with a RGB array. In other words, do exactly the same calculations three times instead of one (once for red, once for green and once for blue) and then look up 3 values when rendering instead of one.

I never actually tried this, so I don't know how it would affect the framerate of the game. Perhaps worth a try.

(Note: When I was developing Akarra my target computer was a 200 MHz with a TNT1 graphics card. That's old now, so there should probably be room for some upgrades.)
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
Archosseus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not a very bad idea. IF you would be able to choose colors as like it went in Akarra (like Green for nature) it would be nice to see those colors resembling the lightning color. So if someone would be Blue as an alignment.. the lightning or other spells would have a blueish look. Good idea Manifold. Wink

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Manifold

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Khaile : So there is hope... how powerful a computer do you think a coloured lighting system in Daria would need?
Archosseus wrote:
Thats not a very bad idea. IF you would be able to choose colors as like it went in Akarra (like Green for nature) it would be nice to see those colors resembling the lightning color. So if someone would be Blue as an alignment.. the lightning or other spells would have a blueish look. Good idea Manifold. Wink

It gets better.. that's an awesome idea, Anubite. It'd do a lot in breaking monotonous yellow-white lightning spells.

jellocube27

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love it! i would love to see this implented in daria- it'd add loads of dramatic visuals, for one, and make the world a much more desirable place for a roleplaying game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: