Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wishing Wells - R
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkHydra
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Wishing Wells - R Reply with quote

Okay I kind of got this idea from someone posting about having a curative pond. I was thinking there could be a well or fountain that when money is thrown in there is a chance of a beneficial effect occuring to the person. There could be several random benefits that have the possibility of occuring.

Example: I throw money into Wishing Well and there is a chance that I will recieve a Dexterity Blessing, a Strength Blessing, or it will attempt to heal 10-15 pts of damage, etc.

In that example the blessings would add a douple pts to that stat for a limited amount of time. This could be taken a step further and have duration, probability and intensity dependant of amount of money I throw in.

Example: If I throw in 1-10 silver, there is a 10% chance I will be healed for that amount of health, or I recieve a strength or dexterity blessing of two for (say) 30 seconds. However if I throw in 11-20 silver there is a 20% chance that I will recieve healing of that amount, or I recieve a strength or dexterity blessing of 3 lasting 1 min. And so on and so forth.

You could have some possible effects only possible at a certain amount of money. I would say that the blessings NOT be cumulative and would at the most reset the countdown to the blessing's dispelling. Btw, it doesn't have to be strength or dexterity it could be any stat or perhaps skill level. Which brings me to the next thought.

We could take THAT a step further and have, say, two fountains/wells/springs. One dedicated to each deity. This would certainly expand a little upon that system and give players another reason to appreciate it. The possible effects could be from a pool that is related to each deity's personality.

(Forgive this example since I don't know what the deities will stand for)
Example:

Lillica the goddess of love and well being has a Well that will possibly heal, cure, holy aurora, etc.
Daemos the god of war and power has fountain that will possibly strength blessing, max damage blessing, dexterity blessing, melee blessing, etc.
Metorian the keeper of mystics has a spring that will possibly intelligence blessing, mana restore, magic def blessing, magic power blessing, etc.

Obviously these are not the deities that will be used however it should be pretty clear about how the possible effects could be divided. Players would give more thought to the deity they choose at char creation. After all if a barbarian with absolutely no magic were to pick a deity Metorian would not be ideal when it came to using the spring. He could choose Lillica because he would benefit from those but some might decide they want the blessings Daemos has to offer.

This in turn could be taken a step further so that if someone insists on casting money into the well of a rival deity they recieve a mild and temporary curse, or something that isn't unduly harsh. They could be placed in many different locales. A town usually has a well, maybe that is a wishing well. Perhaps a ruined temple has a fountain of Holy Water flowing from it. Or even near an ancient obelisk might bubble a magical spring. You get the picture.

This may do several things, involve players more with the history and story of the game, and in some small way it could slow the inflation rate of ingame money. Actually those are the only two major benefits I see besides whatever the effects of the Wishing Wells are. Oh yeah, it would also help players if they have to venture solo or the fs doesn't have anyone that can cast spells that perform similar effects. I would say that the length of time that blessings last should not exceed much more then 5-8 min, and even then effect should be costly and the blessing itself should not be ridiculously powerful. The effect should be noticible however, and I would venture so far as to suggest that it be possible to get all the blessings cast on a person if they stand there and throw their money in long enough it should be possible. I would recommend against these blessing being stackable when used in conjunction with spells cast by other players.

Thoughts? I'm sure I had more I wanted to say but it's 1:30 here and I'm dead tired.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's see. First of all, scrap the idea of 1-10 giving this and 11-20 giving that, who would pay 10 times more money than necessary? Rather have it that pay 1 silver and get a 1% chance to receive the bonus, or get a 1% strength (not the attribute, the strength of the blessing) bonus.

Furthermore, no need to penalize someone for throwing coins in the wrong fountain. Can't people convert? I'd rather have it that if you tried to screw around with two deities and put coins in each of their fountains constantly, you'd receive penalties rather than bonuses.

This entire idea also makes money more important in guild wars. But maybe it's going too far when people throw in a thousand gold coins just to get the edge in a war? ^^

On the contrary, I'd like to see a guild temple or something, where you could make donations to receive benefits to the entire guild. It's not a bad idea, however, it's no more than a different implementation of the idea of paying money for guild bonuses, if taken to this level.

As long as they don't become pseudo-clerics, I'm all for them.
DarkHydra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I guess I must have missed some topic on guilds, I didn't realize that people would be getting bonuses from them. I was thinking more along the lines of dungeon crawling, if a person got a 5 min bonus to strength or recieve a blessing against undead they would rush over to I dungeon and have a small boost temporarily. Or even above world fighting monsters for that matter.

If people can convert faith then that would be something that they would probably do through an NPC of some sort. However, if they are supposed to be devoted to one deity but are offering gifts to that deity's rival, would not their deity frown upon such an act and perhaps punish them temporarily? If they were to convert faiths that would be fine but I'm not sure there will be provision for that.

The way I was thinking it should be set up is that it is more advantageous for those who can throw in larger portions to do so then someone who scrapes together a little at a time. After all if someone insists on putting in 1-10 silver pieces at a time, what good will that 20 or 30 seconds of strength boost do them compared to throwing in more and getting a more powerful, longer lasting blessing. If all they're looking for is a blessing then they could throw in the minimum amount in the bracket of their choosing, (1,11,21,whatever) on the other hand in the Well provides healing them it would do them more good to throw in the higher end of the spectrum.

Like I said I didn't know anything about what they final plans were with Guilds or Wars or Temples so I just figured I'd post this idea here. Had me excited last night...
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be a nice inplatment, but it requiers a lot of tweaking
I don't think anyone will pay money for a bonus that last for 5 min for example. Cuse you can't do much in 5 min, can you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Thanquol
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZELDA LINK TO THE PAST WISHING WELL 1337
Pallando
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea, with a little tweaking like Dormeydo said.

It's good to have atleast one way to avoid inflation so it doesn't end up like D2 or something, whose anti-inflation system sucked hard (gambling + repairing items).
jellocube27

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, but I think it should give more than just blatantly increase stats and HP.

Maybe if it opened up other, more immersive oppertunities?
DarkHydra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't suggesting those were the only things they could be used for. Please expound on your thoughts jellocube, I only suggested them as another door to more immersive gameplay.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on this are similar to Thanquol's. Toss in a boomerang, get a magic boomerang out... Toss in 100 coins, choose between carrying more bombs or arrows... Toss in a random amount of coins and get a luck modifier change...

I don't really see a practical use for it in a game such as this. A well that gives you a temporary modifier would be useless should you have to make long distance travel to get to the place you need to get to... We already could carry as many arrows as you had backpack space for quivers of 99 arrows, so increasing item slots is out. Maybe a holy well could be used by Alchemists to make magic elixers, health potions, stamina potions, ect. Holy water to remove nightmares/curses. That's kind of a reason why not to do it as well, it would make Alchemists have to go to these wells to make stuff... Should an Alchemist character be implemented of course...

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't realy care. I play fighter types mostly, so temp stat boost or not, I'll get it from my party cleric. At least then I can get it on demand and use it for it's full duration.

* Stant shrugs and walks off.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
DarkHydra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanquol wrote:
ZELDA LINK TO THE PAST WISHING WELL 1337

There was a wishing well in that game??? Been too long I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: