Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ghosts and other etheral beings
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minty
Posts until end: 940

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Ghosts and other etheral beings Reply with quote

This was touched upon briefly in the topic on weapon and magic resistance/immunities, but I have an idea that I think is tangential enough to merit its own forum.
Anyway, people were wondering why they could slash through immaterial beings, and why the ghosts could slash them back.
Besides the obvious use of magic against ghosts, and allowing ghosts to only hurt you with magic, I thought it might be interesting if ghosts could turn solid for a limited time.
The ghosts would only be able to hurt you after they had turned material, and in return you could only harm them during that time.
Of course I don't know how the battle system in daria will work, or if this would be able to fit in. Just a thought!
Poof
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a few tweaks, I think it could be a decent suggestion. Try thinking some more, go into a little more detail with it. You might have a invention, as they call it. ;P
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. (Forgive the phase I use) A few ways of handling ghosts are floating around.

Where hitting ghosts are concerned, some varieties have you use weapons made of silver, some have you use magics only, some have you use vorpal weapons, and some have you become ethereal to fight on equal terms....

Where taking damage is concerned, some have them use magic only, some don't give a crap and just let them hit you, some have them attack you like normal but say it's because they're actually using touch magic, and some say it's because they hit your soul or life force directly, and not your body, but you feel it all the same...
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me a bit of Willowisps from Diablo 2. They would attack, go invisible, move around a bit and attack again. Well, not really invisible, but call it pseudo-invisibility. You could target them if you guessed their position, and spells that acquired targets automatically would fire in their direction. And as you can see, they are also very resistant to physical attacks.

There are probably other monsters I've encountered in my days, but this was the only one I could think of.

As for your idea. I like the thought, but I'd like it to come with improved fighting abilities as well, good enough to defeat a spellcaster, lousy enough to not be on par with a fighter of the proper level. I mean, for example:

Cleric > Ghost in ethereal form
Cleric < Ghost in material form

Fighter < Ghost in ethereal form
Fighter > Ghost in material form

Mage, Rogue < Ghost in either form

Encourage fellowships and all that. Wink

I think this would be interesting to see.

Late edit: Mages/Rogues should be weaker, not on par, oops.

Last edited by Enquillion on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye. I like that Enq. =]

BTW, Minty? What's your avatar supposed to be?

*edit* Nevermind... Figured it out. Yarn flowers.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Minty
Posts until end: 940

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mr r lazy with avatars. I've been 'intending' to make myself a good one for... oh... a few months.

Anyway invisibility, or seudo-invisibility, could be really neat (of course, again, depending on the battle system).

Edit: It would also be neat if some classes (or perhaps an item?) allowed you to become etherial to fight the ghosts more easily. So perhaps you would either need someone of that class in your fellowship, or some shiny silver weapons.
Stant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
Yes, mr r lazy with avatars.

;D The question wasn't for my benefit, though I did figure it out.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Enquillion> what the hell is Minty's avatar supposed to resemble
<Enquillion> a string of her DNA?

(Stant edits his post and includes the question while removing an invalid part of his post)

<Enquillion> tsk
<Enquillion> I just justified you keeping the post there, did I?

^^

I'm all for becoming ethereal. Especially outside dressing rooms. With invisiblity as well, yay.

Err, 'course it's a nice idea, Black Reapers in Akarra were supposed to gain that ability. I hope they're looking at it. Wink
Pre
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could kind of be like the gargs in warcraft. When the ghost is etheral, it takes more damage with magic and a lot less with weapons. But when the ghost turns material (like statue for garg) then it has more armor, and becomes harder to kill for magic users.
Stant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much what Enq is saying. I think that's a pretty fair way of dealing with that issue as well. If you have to travel through places that have lots of those, it really would encourage balancing out your fellowships more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: