Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preemptive Strike/Surround attack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frost Father
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Preemptive Strike/Surround attack Reply with quote

Greetings, today I present an idea I found very interesting. Perhaps you will also (I hope).

Preemptive Strike weapons.

Now, I am not so keen on how the combat system in ‘Whispers in Akarra’, but if it was like every other game, it went ‘You attack creature’ - ‘Creature attacks you’ or vise versa, with variations in weapon speed and DMG.

What I purpose that certain weapons, such as Pole-arm type weapons (Spears, Halberds, Pikes) have a ‘preemptive strike ability‘. The ability is that, when attacked, you are STILL able to hit the creature first with your weapon, then, it being your turn in combat, hit it again.

Example: You are walking through the forest and a Bear attacks you. However, because you are wielding your trusty Quarterstaff, in place of where the bear WOULD hit you, you hit the Bear--Then you hit the Bear again, it being your turn to attack.

In the same sense, if you attack a creature, you get ONE extra attack (Hitting the creature two times).

Example: You are walking down the dirt path going to town when you see a fluffy bunny. You attack it, you hit it, and then you hit it again. After that, the battle goes on as usual after the first hit to the fluffy bunny.

The preemptive strike is ONLY during the first attack of a battle, with the first creature. If in a melee with more than one creature attacking you, you will only preemptive strike the first creature that attacks you.

In short, a preemptive strike weapon will allow you to hit a creature twice, as well as protect yourself from sudden attacks from singularly opponents.

Of course, to make it fair, that means you will need to slightly weaken the DMG of the preemptive strike weapons.

--------------------------------------------------------

Surround attack weapons.

Another idea of mine is that 2h weapons should have a ‘surround hit’ ability. (Be able to damage multiple enemies around the target.)

Of course, the surround hit ability is not an extra attack to every enemy around the target, all it does it do a little extra DMG to each enemy around the target.

I imagine this would be a lot of work with not a whole lot of gain, but I believe these additions would make combat much more interesting and unique.
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Any ADOM fans here? Especially ADOM Monk fans.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Stant ponders on this.

"Hmmm. A berdiche user like myself could find that handy. Plus if that were added in for weapons, it could be carried over to ninjas and thieves and other classes that 'should' get a sneak attack ability. The only problem is if you're running away from the person/creature, you shouldn't get to use the ability due to the fact you're focused on moving, rather then concentrating on a defensive posture. Then how would the game discriminate between a retreat movement and an attack movement? Eh, nevermind."

*Stant shrugs and walks away.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Frost Father
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, I wanted to introduce an advantage to using Pole-arm weapons opposed to medium to short weapons. In history, the Pole-arm has almost always dominated the melee field. I thought that it would be nice to implement a way for the pole-arm to use it’s most primitive advantage- Range. (The preemptive Strike represents that) While still allowing equality of other weapons. Also, I feel that the ‘Preemptive Strike’ ability would add a but more tactical combat to the game.

I suppose you *could* add a feature such as a ‘Defensive Stance’ , that, if in use, could have the same effect as preemptive strike, only you can’t move during it- Or you haft to be a certain level/class to be able to employ it.
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defensive Stance, Offencive Stance and Normal stance would be very nice, imh
I would love to see that in the game
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stant wrote:
Then how would the game discriminate between a retreat movement and an attack movement? Eh, nevermind."

I know! We could give the PCs sprites for each of the 8 main directions! And we could animate it! And use fancy 3D pre-rendered stuff! And... and... and....
Origon
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surrounding attack comments: I personally don't see this as very believable. You're fighting, lets say a bear. 3 more come out and surround you and you expect to do a turn, strike all 4 in the same time you usually take to strike the first bear and do MORE damage. If anything, it should be less. You're ruining your concentration on that single target to hit 4 targets while MOVING (turning is still a move). Right there you lessened your chances of hitting (or supposed to) and why should you do more damage if you turn around and slash all 4 with a berdiche instead of slashing just 1 with that same berdiche. True there might be a SMALL increase in the speed of the blade when hitting the monster, but it shouldn't result in an increase of all damage for an AREA attack.

P.S. Don't bother pointing out mistakes, i know theres lots. I was in a rush
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the area attack should make less damage and take longer time to perform then the normal attack.
Adding to that skill would just decrease the penaties.
Or perhaps one target get's lot of damage(normal damage or perhaps a little higher) and the next get less, and the next after that even less and so on. This is because you loose the power in the swing when you struck you're opponet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: