Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monster weaknesses and immunities -R
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sum Ting Wong wrote:
well, i remember from zatras tomb, there were ghosts, but for some reason, my sword could cut through them... since ghosts aren't actually "there", they should have a complete immunity to weapons, but have no attack what so ever. maybe the presence of a ghost would lower moral, causing you to not be as effective in combat, but counter that ability with a cleric/priest around who could either destroy the ghost, drive it away, or just comfort the adventurer
Well, yes, they are ethereal. Ethereal monsters should be imune to 'normal' weapons. If i'm correct though, silver weapons can hurt them. If it would be an enchanted effect weapon attacked with, only the enchantment would work on the creature. Those ethereal monsters could use magic and be weak to magic, to fair out their immunity to normal weapons. Casting spells or having aura's that like you suggest lower morale, frighten the adventurer etc.

Their shouldn't be to many immunities in the world though, not like every monster in a place being immune to something else. Requiring you to swap weapons and spells constantly all the time.
Flesh based monsters at least, shouldn't have more then 1 immunity. Flesh can almost always be killed by anything. Undead though, with the bone-like armor would have more immunities as would other kinds of species. I think...

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or the undead wouldn't so much be an immunity as the fact that if they're arms fall off its no big deal...

but how would you deal with immunities of a rock monster, i mean, weapons don't hurt it, fire doesn't hurt it, electricity doesn't hurt it, your only real options are to like, weather it down with sand and wind or freeze/heat/freeze/heat until it explodes... which woud lookin freakin cool

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sum Ting Wong wrote:
fire doesn't hurt it

Fire would, wind would be the best... I think. It's the opposite element anyways... On the 4 element chart.

Earth -- Fire
.. | .. X .. |
Water -- Wind

Though things are more complicated where magical elements are concerned because the list is much bigger.
Dark (Evil)
Earth
Electric
Fire
Light (Good)
Water
Wind
And any hybrids of the above seven... Ex: Wind and water = Ice, Earth and water = mud/ooze, fire and earth = lava, electric and wind = plasma, and so on...

Light and dark usually only act as normal damage to things and extra damage to their opposites which would be each other...

Earth vs. earth would be normal, fire/water vs. earth would be increased damage, wind vs. earth would be best damage (being it's the opposite), and electric has nearly no affect (Earth is nearly immune to electricity due to it's grounding effect)...
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stant wrote:
Earth -- Fire
.. | .. X .. |
Water -- Wind

Heart! By your powers combined....
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not have immunities in common monsters? Want to encourage fellowships with more than a few nice lines in the game description?

Let them be immune to different melee attacks too. For example, clay golems are teh shit against piercing and slashing, but blunt is teh shit against them.

I want to go for whatever would seem the most "arcane"; spells like magic missile (but not fireball, lightning bolt or cone of cold), and stuff like haste and slow. Then I don't really give a damn if that doesn't give me an edge against most monsters. It sounds pretty neutral, not many would be immune to it either. It's my favorite kind of spells, aight? Haste and slow are party friendly, and I have the arcane damage available whenever required.

Um, that was beside the point. Anyway, give some common monsters immunities (or high resistances), and let these affect fighters too.
Stant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Stant punches Loresaelos in the face. =]
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stant wrote:
*Stant punches Loresaelos in the face. =]

Loresaelos? Who is that? Couldn't be me, no sir, nuh-uh.
Stant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Typo.

*Stant punches Lorsaelos in the face twice. =]
Stant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enquillion wrote:
Let them be immune to different melee attacks too. For example, clay golems are teh shit against piercing and slashing, but blunt is teh shit against them.

That also is something to look at. Though not just melee weapons, ranged as well. Sword do slashing damage, clubs do blunt, Spiked maces do piercing, a sling stone is blunt, and an arrow is piercing... If you're going to go through all the trouble making various magic immunities, may as well do it with weapons as well. =D
DarkHydra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanted to get real complicated you could have arrows with various heads on them. The Mongols had several kinds, I believe several of them were employed more for scare tactics then for damage which would equal a fear, paralysis or intimidation effect. Some weapons would do multiple types of damage, the Spiked mace you mentioned could be considered both blunt and piercing. Claymores and Rapiers though swords would fall into the piercing damage category, as would Roman Shortswords. Of course you could modify the combat system to where the player selects the kind of attacks they try to make (reave, slash, stab, etc). And give each weapon a damage rating in each category. It would all increase the strategy aspect of combat (a plus) but would increase the work of the dev team significantly (a negative).

All in all, I'd be in favor of playing in another game with a damage system set with various categories.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: