Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monster weaknesses and immunities -R
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkHydra
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Monster weaknesses and immunities -R Reply with quote

This idea was touched on in Akarra but never implemented. Have some monsters weak against magic, strong against melee and vise versa. If you have monsters immune or maybe high def against magic give it the chance of dropping item for magic user. And vise versa. Or mix it up, the point is it would add some flavor to fs'ing and maybe use some in a few quests. Would be nice to solve quests as a fs once in a while if everyone has the same quest to complete and must cooperate. It shouldn't be forced but would add variety.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkHydra wrote:
This idea was touched on in Akarra but never implemented. Have some monsters weak against magic, strong against melee and vise versa.

Yes, I do believe that's the goal for most games of this type. ;P Though in akarra's defense the magic was too underdeveloped to even consider this option just yet.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
DarkHydra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, too bad. Well here's another chance. The example I gave was very general and has a few downfalls as is. But I don't have the brainpower at the moment to refine it. Perhaps someone else has some more ideas.
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanna light all the fuzzy/furry creatures on fire and watch them burn

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
DarkHydra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...yeah...not quite what I had in mind.

Just off the top of my head:
Immunities are a little extreme so they should be used sparingly or replaced with a strong defense instead of completely immune.

Depending on magic system, there are possiblities of immunities or strengths against particular spells or spell classes in which case it may be possible for a wiz to kill a creature that is immune to fire if he has access to a second class or magic type.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a related thread (by me of course) from the Akarra boards. I'll say what the first poster (myself) said.
DarkHydra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I can see how that was frustrating, however considering how early it was in Akarra's developement I'd say it was a balance issue that was going to be correct if it had stayed around long enough. Monster development is always a tricky thing but with feedback it can be balanced out. Think there was another thread on the Akarra boards that dealt specifically with having a certain area that the monsters were strong against melee but weak against magic. Don't know where it is though.
Archosseus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it always seemed logical in any game that you can be effective against something with one thing and not effective with the other.
Like a boiling Fire Element, if you have spells with a water basis, weapons enchanted with water, it would be stronger then if fighting something normal. If i'm correct you mean something like this:

Weakness to Fire
Resistant to Water
Immune to Magic
Weakness to Combat

I support the fact that monsters should have their stats matched to their appearance and likings. A golem would be fortified against combat and certain magic but be very slow and have a weakness against water (Makes him rusty?). It's made out of a heavy material usually, so it's slow. Not all monsters need to have this though. The could be all-around. And only powerful monsters should have immunities. It's no fun for a mage encountering a creature unsuspected immune to his magic.

Monsters should individually have their weaknesses and resistances. Not based on groups. Else you'd find wolves as strong as oxes and golems as fast as cyclones.

This also is related to the 'Discription' idea..

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Pre
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think immunities would be important. Just like immunity to melee, magic and maybe some elements like fire, and water.
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i remember from zatras tomb, there were ghosts, but for some reason, my sword could cut through them... since ghosts aren't actually "there", they should have a complete immunity to weapons, but have no attack what so ever. maybe the presence of a ghost would lower moral, causing you to not be as effective in combat, but counter that ability with a cleric/priest around who could either destroy the ghost, drive it away, or just comfort the adventurer

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: