Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two skills on one weapon
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely more interesting, and realistic. I've read a book where a man uses a club like he uses an axe, sinec he lost his axe. He was an experience axe-fighter, so it should work both ways.

There has to be a limit though. Dagger skill has little relation to Spear skill for example.
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Miklotov
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd rather support the idea of gaining special attacks the higher your lvl is
e.g.: at axe skill lvl 5 (or 5gems) you have a chance (x%) to make a successful special attack with your axe
--> you gain new slots for the special attack skill where you could lvl in (or put gems in if so these gems should be earned by using the skill and different to the normal lvl up gems)

back to the topic:
The possibility of using 2 skills for one weapon needs to be balance very very good or how someone said before its too strong or too weak. I would support if its an alternative way to use weapons you can't cauze you don't fit the req .
e.g.: Kings Berd needs 200 strg. You have only (150-199). With the combination of the 2 skills the berd req is lower but you suffer a malus given by the use of using 2skills for one weapon
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

** Do not give me the credit for this system. It's not mine. **

You could also use the manner in which the weapon is used as what's being trained, along with its size and shape. For example, if you attack with a shortsword, you train:

Small blades skill
Thrusting attack skill (or chop or slash or however you prefer to use it, but they are typically used to pierce with)

Wheras swinging an axe would make you more experienced with:

(size) axes skill
Chopping attack skill

Now say that you wield a halberd, which was a good example of a weapon that can be used in two major ways; pierce (thrust) and chop. You could attack with it in both manners, but if you've used a lot of piercing weapons, you are more familiar with this attack style, and thus yield the best results out of these.

Also remember that attributes are still in the picture. Even if you've ran around with a butterknife, piercing rabbits to death, gaining a sky high thrusting attack skill, it doesn't mean you'll just rule with a spear. It requires strength to be wielded properly, and you're likely agile if anything, rather than strong. 'course... you could also make certain weapons train certain attributes...

Naturally, having trained certain skills a lot would also allow you to make special moves, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: