Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Examine/discription
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Examine/discription Reply with quote

I have an idea's i'd like to get rid of. They are not far from being simple, i can be sure of such a thing. And i can expect it would be already implented in the game but i'd like to tell it anyway.

Examine-
(Note that this might be suggested before, i did too, in the old forums though)
Ability to examine targets and organism's as in a small box showing information about them. Previous suggested on the old forums (not mine, i think) was that by reading various 'books' about such a target you could reveal more information about it (think about spells, health, physical damage). Of course this shouldn't just be books laying around everywhere, since the writers of those books should have had some profit at risking their life just to investigate such a creature.
Perhaps only 'boss-like' monsters should have books about them.
I'm not saying a blunt discription that just shows every possible stat of the monster but major things like this:

- Treeclaw

]If you have read the Treeclaw Book[
Standing 2 times feet tall as a human this creature lurks deep in Fallen Willow Wood with his kin while having large claws to slash their opponents some of them still prefer to use their magical ability.
They vary from a brown to green color and are not to be underestimated by newcomers.
]/If you read the Treeclaw Book[

- Average damage
- Size
- Speed
etc.

]If you read the Treeclaw Book[
Spells:
Entangle
Tend wounds
]/If you read the TreeClaw Book[

Just as an example.

I think this would encourage more tactical play rather then just approaching it with your sword in hand while it could be immune to swords (you never know..)...

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use this thread for reference and inspiration. That's the one you're talking about?

I won't say more right now since I said a lot in that thread already. ^^
Dormeydo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it's my old thread enq Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Thandrophir
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, but I think the books should have more range, just for simplicity. It would would be madness having a book for EVERY monster. The books could come in level ranges, like the first book 'unlocks' information on all monsters under Lv. 10, the next book under Lv. 20 so on and so forth.

The artist formally known as BlueHyren.
Avaith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea a lot better Thand. I wouldn't like to not be able to walk because everytime i click, i click on a book. That idea decreases the amout of books but still emplements the book idea. I like it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Cannibal
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: How about this? Reply with quote

Allow players to have some text that they can add to their description when /finger'ing them. Yeah, some people could abuse it.. -shrugs- I think that would help with roleplay. Since we aren't doing the complex avatar we should have some text description options.. -smiles-
Saven
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about, instead of a level range in each book, it covere a location.

so instead of 'Wimpy creatures of daria' you have 'The peninsula field guid'. Also, it would have more than just monster descriptions, it would describe every thing from the fauna, to location and local legends. Also it could have a map of the area. Smile

The books could be aquired at item shops or as quest items, and some books could cover boss monsters.
Minty
Posts until end: 940

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saven wrote:
What about, instead of a level range in each book, it covere a location.

I like. that seems more realistic, if I'm an ancient author/explorer I'm not going to say, 'Ok, today I'm going to write about every monster that can own you from level 5 to 9'. I'm going to research by location. I also like the idea of a brief description of terrain/flora.
However, I like maps being seperate and automatic, especially in a big world like Akarra.
Enquillion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could use different species. Even though in Akarra, most species only had one or two areas to "haunt", it doesn't have to be the same in Daria. :)
Archosseus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean a book for every monster, hehe. Seems a bit of a waste to make a whole book for just a page or two, aye.
I was thinking more about species, element and alike.
Common books (wich contain common monster information) are easy to get, so at a library. Though for the tougher monsters it should be better to find them somewhere else or get them from a NPC at one of the last quests.
Also varieng it from level seems rather unrealistic. Perhaps the monsters could be seperated by a main species and a sub species.
In example:
Undead
- Fiendish
- Skeleton
- Zombie

The left over monsters (not including bosses) all go in a seperate book.
So if you'd look in to the library and grab a book you could only see that whats close to your level (say no more then +10 levels) to avoid a newbie hunting for it. You'd see in the library as an example:
The Goblinoid
The Undead
The Humanoid
etc.
The boss monster could drop his information book giving the opportunity for the player to sell it off high (since its rare) in the market... =D

How it would be used, as an example:
You see the monster, you right click on it and choose 'discription'. Now if you did not read the book you only see what he looks like and his true nature, if you did a book it was in more things show.
For boss monsters, you could allow the player to make his own discription if there isn't any book of it yet and enable the player to sell it to the library for an unique book. I think the book has to be 'checked' by a moderator/administrator in the game so that people don't pay 3 sc for a book saying something inappropiate.
Perhaps an administrator could visit the library and check a list ONLY they see and allow the books to qualify his judgement to be in the library and if needed fix some problems in the book. Certainly rules must be taken for this, say like this:

- Book must contain proper information.
- Book musn't already be in the library.
etc.

The author of course must be written too. The game made books can make it up and the player made books just show the name of the player.
This 'library' so far as i know would be stuffed with monster discriptions then, Roleplaying stories by players, tales, art, legends and more...

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: