Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building the cities...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milktoast
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Building the cities... Reply with quote

Maybe you can possible make somthing as to where races start out in their own town, although at the VERY beginning of the game (1-2 months after release) the players build racial cities...You can find out the balancing point on this one...im sorta tired to type it all out
Sum Ting Wong
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i kinda said the EXACT SAME THING in the races post.
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where we are going with that as of yet. So no official comments on this.

I personally think having a race capitol or center is good.. but forcing all the races to start in their own race specific city isn't the best of ideas.
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, what if two noob friends wanted to followship with each other and they were different races?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Milktoast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but maybe instead of race-restricted towns you can have everyone start out in a place where theres nothing but grass and tree...And the players have to cut down, craft, and build the housing/shop areas...

It was going to be done in Akarra, so it surley could be done here.

Quote:

Common Suggestions: Construction-related

4.1 Will there be towns?

As you might have noticed there is only one town in the current version of the game. This is the special starter town called "Hope", which is the center of thw current world. In the future there will be more towns, but unlike Hope these will be built by the players themselves. Each town will have a "town post" where you can buy different kinds of construction deeds in order to expand that town.

4.2 Will players be able to build buildings?

Yes, you will be able to build residents, shops, teleport services, training halls, churches, guild houses...

4.3 Will I be able to hire my own mercenaries?

This feature is not currently planned, but since we think it would funny we might add it later.

4.4 Will we be able to design our own dungeons?

Probably not. The current plan is to use pre-defined templates for all buildings.

4.5 How about teleporters between important locations?

Yes, some players will be able to build "Teleport Services" that allows you to travel quickly to obelisks all around Akarra.

4.6 Will there be banks where I can store money?

Yes.

4.7 Will guilds have a "base"?

Yes, guilds and its guild house will be closely related.

That quote was taken from the www.akarra.net FAQ - under support
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible and perhaps well fiting with the current storyline, not sure what we have planned though.

This is possibly a could Community Discussion type of thing. Will keep that in mind.
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can recall from talks in Akarra, the plan was to eventually have town guards that would roam around within the city limits, killing monsters that wandered in, chasing down players with PK status, and attacking those that weren't of the proper religion. It wasn't necessarily that the town was restrictive, just that you could do whatever you wanted as long as you didn't get caught. ;D Also you'd be able to pick between a few towns to start so that there wasn't such a bad bottleneck of players right around a couple low level areas.

As for building up towns, I don't want to say I'm opposed to it, only because since the day I created this character, I've wanted to own a tavern. NWN finally took care of that for me by letting you win it in an underground street fight. After that every few hours of playing you just go back and pocket the profits made. ;D

But if it is a feature that gets added, it should be strictly controlled by making only certain plots of land, varied in sizes of course, available to buy, different basic establishments (meaning, house, windmill, farm, grainery, general store, ect.) of varying types, costing a lot to build, monthly rent to keep the place, and if you go a couple months without paying your rent, you lose the land and the place goes away that way others have a chance to buy up the limited available space. Once there are enough of a few types of building together, all owners get the option of buying a town hall and giving the town an official name (moderated of course).

After the town hall is built, more plots of land of varied sizes become available, and more advanced types of structures become available to build in that town (inns, blacksmith, liveries, larger houses, small banks, ect). After a sufficient number of certain buildings have been built, again, all the property owners get the option of paying money to upgrade the town hall to a city hall/keep/castle.

Once again, more land plots become available, more advanced structures like water wells, guild/training halls/schools become available, churches, specialty shops, even larger homes, mansions, stone cutters, stone walls and towers and gates to wrap around the city, ect. all become available to build. Plus once there is no more land to buy, players can make a request to city hall/keep/castle (in game email to a dev) to add another plot of land so they can build, which can of course, be denied or take several months to process. ;P

Hmm. I should probably wait for other comments before I spill out all my evil plans...
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
ecllipse21
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if the feature about people being able to build their own buildings i agree wit Stant in that there should only be set land plots to where people can build the buildings, other than that it sounds cool and all i want is a little shop to sell my stuff in.
Thanquol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a leaf from Sony's book (SWG). Give each person a maximum 2 plots of land which are vacant when you begin the game. Later on, when you have alot of cash, you can place any 2 civilian buildings (in a certain area). There should also be alot of communication between the Najo/Humans etc, and i thoroughly despise the idea of race-specific cities. Maybe just the plots of land could be race-specific?
Avoron
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't support the idea of having each race start in their own town/city/area or whatever. This is what they had in WoW. All of my friends were Night Elves and I was the only Human, since the Night Elf lanscape depressed me. We started in different locations and I didn't have the patience to get to where they were, so we didn't see each other for a while. (WoW probably needed this though to prevent lag created from everyone starting in the same location. I head WoW America had a few crashes when it first went retail.) It'd be better for everyone to start in the same location and as they get used to the game, they can then choose their class/religion e.t.c, so they know more about the game and don't make decisions they'll regret later.

About the player-built houses, it's an okayish idea. It gives the game more interaction and such, but I don't know if it will be a good idea to let everyone player be able to build some building in the town. Maybe they could get the materials, plan their building and then have it approved first before it would be built into the game; might stop retarded layout and whining about who blocked who's building.

<thewreck> thats bullshit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: