Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creature Companion for a Magic-User
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vilinh
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with stant. I was pissed that my mage kept getting killed in WW till I got lucky enough to pick up a magic use II a little ahead of everyone else. I was killing Darklings in one shot. The only thing that made me mad was why they never released it to all the mages earlier. My suggestion would be to develop each class at the same time so none of them get left behind.

Good luck on Daria. May there be no lagg
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was planned for A2. When it was "released", we were already doomed. I'd like to keep the FS dependence again... without making a FS dependent on any one class. That said, doesn't mean that we can't have summons; I like the idea of a summoner class to rely on them solely.
Pre
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stant, do you mean that if mages got summon spells along with "zap" that they would be too powerful? I was thinking that too, so I was trying to say a summoner could be a whole different class. Like you wouldnt start out with a zap spell, you would start out with a summon rabbit or whatnot. And the mage class could keep there zap and other spells. But then again you could be talking about something totally different and I'm just talking about nothing. Very Happy
scotty
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of dependance , a warrior should not be able to go out alone and level easly. if you ask me the in akarra soloing was too attractive in the lower levels. I want forced team play. I like the idea of summoner class. would they expire and have to be respelled? and what about combo spells, two mages fsing should be able to make specail bigger more sofistocated spells *kinda like in the books wheel of time* Smile... And about even devolopment, correct me if i am worng but i do belive its harder to develop non-warror classes? am i right? I think we should get the ground layout down, then implemnt more complicated magic. I could be wrong, casue I dont really know.
LookinToDie
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want forced team play. (...) and what about combo spells, two mages fsing should be able to make specail bigger more sofistocated spells

Well, that's a good idea Wink Or maybe the dev guys could just pick up Khaile's original idea of fellowship bonuses, like fiery death and others.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre wrote:
Stant, do you mean that if mages got summon spells along with "zap" that they would be too powerful?

No I wasn't talking about summoning at all in my earlier post. Just reminding people that the largest drawback of playing a mage was the fact that it was severly underdeveloped compared to a fighter. Yet people still try to compare the two at the point that each was most developed which can't be done in a fair comparison. They should only be compared at the level where their development is equal.... At the zap and dagger level.

To me there are two ways to go about adding in summoning. The reason is because a very low level mage (apprentice) should learn basic elemental magics (zap, squirt, dust, ember, breeze... electric, water, earth, fire, and wind respectively) as well as some utility spells (flare, entangle, tend wounds, cheer... Light, slow, heal, and haste respectively). From there they progress into a summoner class with three branches. What do they get to summon as a basic summoner, and do they get to keep their existing spells? I can see them keeping their basic spells, but anything they summon at this step, to me, seems to bias them in one direction. Elementals push them to the Elementalists, animals push them to Naturalists, and hellish creatures push them to Abyssal... Would there be a main creature or two that all get to summon or do you lose what you had before when you advance up the tree?

Should there even be a summoner class? Why not just add a summon skill to existing highly specialized magic users and give them a few options based on the spells they already have? Or even better, why not just add another step in the magic evolution for each of the magic types and make the top tier a summoner in that group? An elemental mage knows stronger versions of elemental magic and upon his/her last evolution can summon elementals... The more naturalist mage uses more utility spells and upon his/her last evolution can summon animals... The more abysmal mage uses dark magic and upon his/her last evolution summons hellish creatures... I'm personally more in favor of adding another tier to each magic class rather then a whole class of their own. To me it seems easier and allows for a mage to have more training and study in that discipline before being able to call help to the battlefield.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the Magic-users received more development they would be overpowering so as leaving the fighting classes out. A magic-user has way more variety in attack styles with different spells wich have different effects if controlled correctly and thought about.
Then the fighting classes would have to get bonuses to even it more out. They magic-user can't take much hits but has the highest damage. The combat-user can take a lot of hits but has average damage.
By talking about a Companion, i was referring to it being a spell, not a seperate class but each time you develop further in the class tree the spell changes and gets increases and decreases to benefit from the class. Each magic-user should have a companion. I'm not talking about a 2000 hit-points tower but a 'helpful' creature to have just when you face a tough GROUP.
If the magic-user would have 40 HP then the all-around companion would do too. Another different companion would have more HP but less attack or agility for example. When going further in the class tree the companion changes in to something else that would fit with the caster. Examples like Stant said.

Of course, this all wouldn't be needed if the caster had Defensive spells.. Wich i assume they will in Daria since it can not be compared to Akarra as the casters were far away from complete.

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Miklotov
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he need special ingrediants to summon something it might force the magic user to team with other to get those ingrediants (very rare of course) so he is a great help for fs in difficult regions

Didn't someone said something about pets ? Would make the summoner useless...
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pet doesn't have to be a tank, for starters. Let me name a few ways to use them, some of them not even related to combat.

Combat:
Enhance the effect of spells, help channel spells (faster cast/less chance of fizzling/you name it)
Cast a few spells that the caster can't cast himself (like a basic protective spell that clerics get, basic healing...)
Scout around and keep the caster aware of additional enemies that may be joining the battle

Non-combat:
Quest advice
"Item bitch" (limited inventory)
Enhance tradeskill levels
Perform certain tradeskills (a cat familiar could catch fish, a baby dragon could roast it)
Idle banter
Look cute
Make newbies jealous
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enquillion wrote:
Idle banter
Look cute
Make newbies jealous

Isn't that what Aerilyn used to keep you around for? =D
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: