Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creature Companion for a Magic-User
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Creature Companion for a Magic-User Reply with quote

It is was well known that a magic-user would be defeated sooner then a combat-user in Whispers in Akarra if they ever faced the same monster. Magic-users (mostly referring to Wizards) had a harsh time and a good way to balance this out keeps coming back to my mind.

Creature companions will tank for the magic-user for a bit of time, not to much of course making it outbalancing but a fair bit, perhaps the same life as the magic-user does. There could be several creatures to choose from, say about 4 or 5 to bring a bit of originality since it's more then boring seeing every magic-user walk around with the same creature.

The creature could be summoned by the magic-user and unsummoned too, with the use of a simple spell. A variation of creatures to suit different peoples tastes and to bring effectiveness in case to perhaps fill up the lacks of the magic-user.
Each time you develop further up the tree of classes you are allowed to re-choose your companion and perhaps a companion only available to a certain class (like an Elementalist having an elemetal).

IF the same skill and spell system is used as in Whispers in Akarra, that you are allowed to put gems in the skill/spell bar to make it more effective then it would make the companion have more strength, agility, health, mana etc. to keep up with the monsters of the same level. The companion is not used as a pack beast or anything, just a helper, nothing more.
The companion wouldn't just follow every square you walk in but roam around, scout. If the player would attack something, so would the companion.
I think this would decrease the difference between a warrior handling a monster and a wizard handling a monster since in WiA the warrior was close to a lot more effective..

Just a thought to make a magic-user more effective.. Wink

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the idea of an animal companion, but i don't really see why a wizard would have one in the first place unless they got it at a pet store. i could understand necromancers having pets, as in revived corpses, and rangers, because they are the masters of the wild, and kinda always have a dog or something. but wizards summoning up a dog to fight for them just sounds weird... maybe a fire elemental or something, but thats not really an animal....
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mages have more advantages than any other class in most MMOG's I have seen. They may be physically weak but end up doing the most damage in the long run.

I am not sure if we will be adding anymore to the mage to make it more convenient to play Wink
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: .......... Reply with quote

Ok, well, I agree that magic-users should have something to tank for them if the system is ANYTHING like Akarra. Warriors could run around and rape things twice their level, while magic-users would have to run away from things twice their level. Magic-users were extremely dependent on warriors and other tanks. If warriors are self sufficient, then there should be a way for magic-users to be as well. A level 40 warrior and a level 40 mage should be able to kill the exact same things alone. Don't make it sound like making magic-users equal would be making it convenient to play.

Peace, love, puppydogs.
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boddah - I am referring to what we are doing with Daria.. not what happened with Akarra.

Classes should NOT be equal thats the worst thing you can do to 'balance' them. Am I saying they will not? no.

I am saying I don't want to see the dev staff add small perks to certain classes to make them convenient to play.
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: .......... Reply with quote

Boddah wrote:
while magic-users would have to run away from things twice their level.

Things half their level* =D
Archosseus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:
Mages have more advantages than any other class in most MMOG's I have seen. They may be physically weak but end up doing the most damage in the long run.

I am not sure if we will be adding anymore to the mage to make it more convenient to play Wink
Thats true, perhaps i did look to much in the past of Akarra's.
If you do, like in other RPG's, get the mage to be a worthy class then a companion has no use but it would fit well in Akarra's time.
But i wasn't only talking about mages, also about other sorts like Necromancers, Lich's, Elementalists, Warlocks and alike.
Though i can imagine they would have something to summon anyway so there's no use in a companion. Rolling Eyes Hmm.

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Pre
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if theres a branch skill system, one of the branches could be a summoner. So the wizard wouldnt be over powered having regular spells like zap, and a summoned creature. The main spell for it would be something like summoning a bear, and it wouldnt have other spells.
Thanquol
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre wrote:
Maybe if theres a branch skill system, one of the branches could be a summoner. So the wizard wouldnt be over powered having regular spells like zap, and a summoned creature. The main spell for it would be something like summoning a bear, and it wouldnt have other spells.

Just what i was thinking - it works well in other games, summoners who's specific role it is to summon elementals who deal nasty damage. If a colour system, like WiA soul colour (or Earth, fire, Wind etc.) you could have one for each colour or element. As you stated they would only be allowed basic spells learnt before they branched off to Summoner.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What some of you magic users seem to be forgetting is that magic users in Akarra only had 1 low level attack spell and only magic use 1. You're comparing a underdeveloped class to a more developed class. Fighters were more developed in akarra, that's why they performed better. Put both classes on equal development ground... If fighters only had fighting 1 and could only use daggers, you'd have seen that mages would be able to do a lot more damage then fighters. Had mages been more developed, having a variety of attack spells (like fighters had a variety of weapons) of varing levels, as well as magic use 2 (Like fighters had fighting 2) to cut down on the fizzle rate. All you'd have to do is learn what spell did the most damage to a creature and you'd be the guys downing monsters while the fighters just stood there harassing the monsters to keep their attention. Don't compare apples to oranges. They're too different.

My mage Lichram was doing about the same damage as my fighter Stant was even though he was 30 levels lower. The difference being that my mage had barely any life and stamina. A couple misses and I was dead... Unless I was on my horse. Whereas with my fighter, a few misses, taking a lot of damage... No worries.... Keep slugging it out in the trenches and eventually I could pull out a win. If I only gave my fighter a dagger and removed half of my gems from the fighting skill, I found that my mage outperformed my fighter nearly every time.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: