Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community Discussion: Questing - CD I
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avoron
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Daria have a bigger emphasize on questing than some other games. In Akarra, questing for levelling was virtually non-existant. It'd be good to have a balance of exp. rate, so that we could choose to 'lvl lvl coffee lvl' via killing monsters, or gain experience through just questing and still have a similar exp. rate. Would also be nice to have many many many quests so we could do a quest, which no one else has done before.. adds to the excitement. ;P

I've been playing WoW for the last few days, and I rate it higher than other games, since it has a variety of quests, which offer good exp., but the exp. rate is still not on the same level as hack n slash level gaining. I'd like to see Daria similar to this but with more quests, which don't involve running for 10mins to get something and return it for microcosmic exp.

Solving Puzzles - 1
<3 I love quests, which take me a long time to finish, which I can span across a few weeks; exp somewhere and do it as a cooling down thing when I take a break. ;P There should be lots of these, so that people can't just go into some town and get the solution without having to think about it.
This type of quest should be the main type of quest, in which it offers a lot of experience (considering the time it would take), and perhaps offer good items, which can't be bought in shops.

Storyline Quests - 2
Similar to above, but offers not as much exp. Perhaps an introductory quest in a line of quests, with the solving quests later in the line.

Harvest Quests - 3
This is fine. It can be used to introduce players into the game and help adjust to their surroundings. Also, this can be a quest for higher levels. However, the type of monsters they have to kill should be the monsters they would hunt for exp., not monsters 20 levels below them, since it's not very challenging or fun. These types of quests can be done as mini-quests, do them when it's conveniant.

Work Quests - 4
Sure, why not.

Errand Quests - 5
These are okay for lower levels to get to know the area, but there were too many of these in WoW for my liking, and I got pretty bored of these quests after I explored most of the area.

I just think the exp. gained by questing should be fair according to the time it would take to complete the quest, so that it balances with just hack n slash exping. I'd like the choice to choose between questing or hack n slashing to gain exp, makes the game less repetitive.

<thewreck> thats bullshit
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Solving Puzzles - It's good and fun and it takes a little more then just go there and and there and kill that and fetch that, like the other quest. But most likely the sulutions will be well-know very fast and that tae away a lot of the fun. I would try not to hear them, it's s much funnier to solve it all by you're self. The whole quest loses it's puruse when you know the answer from the start. But it's good the have a break from the hack n' slash in the game. But i don't wan't to many ether, as we say in Sweden: Lagom är bäst Razz

2. Storyline Quests - Yeah, story is the most importantat element in an RPG. It's not equaly important in MMO's but its still one of the main elements. It's allways good to learn things from the backgrund story and the main story, even better when you learn in-game

3. Work Quests - Can be funny, but they can allso be boring. I want many different types of quest so all types are more then welcome
4. Harvest Quests - Average funny quests but, they are nessesary to make the quests varied
5. Errand Quests- Quite mediocre quests but good for a change
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
<3 I love quests, which take me a long time to finish, which I can span across a few weeks; exp somewhere and do it as a cooling down thing when I take a break. ;P There should be lots of these, so that people can't just go into some town and get the solution without having to think about it.

I think its safe for me to say with my opinion and what I think I am trying to aim at is a little different than just questing. I want the very deep and vast storyline that is developing to open up through quests. I wish I could explain so much more of what is developing behind "closed doors" and perhaps you would understand and be as excited as I, but alas I can not.

I do know the storyline once finally released (the introduction) things will make a lot more sense and perhaps give some a feeling of Irony to it haha.

From what I would also like to see is that quests are gonna be way different for each race.. and that factions will have their own quest line and puzzles. As each faction is going to be trying to accomplish the samething through these quests but by other means. I believe there will be a lot of factions in Daria so this means a lot of quests and a lot of different types of quests to solve. So I 'highly' doubt one universal 'puzzle' quest line will be posted in the forums. I hope there will be so many different routes with the factions that trying to post them in the forums as spoilers.

Depends on how long the storywriters and the rest of the staff want to wait heh. Lots of stuff in the works folks, and for my first attempt at seriously writing a background story and the whole creation stuff as well as expanding it and making the storyline intertwine with different faction quests.. I think its coming along very well..

I think I will give you guys a glimpse

*opens door for a split second, and closes immediatley after*

Wink
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Storyline quests - yeah, take a break (not a very long one though ;P) from slashing monsters..
2. Solving Puzzles - I like long quests and if they make you think, that's even better.
3. Work quests - might be fun depending on what you mean by work quests: like stop a rabbit invasion on a farm and get a carrot from the grateful farmer? I'd like to see work quests that you can repeat once in a while.. Not for xp though but maybe for gold - stop a rabbit invasion, get a silver. Repeat in 48 hours.
4. Harvest quests - not really bad if there's some exploration involved.
5. Errand quests - again, on their own these quests are quite boring. But if you are exploring or fighting at the same time, might work out.
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Storyline quests
2. Solving Puzzles
3. Work quests
4. Errand quests
5. Harvest quests

1. The soul of the real Roleplaying Games, 'nuff said.

2. I like quests that force you to take the time to solve it. Puzzle like quests or mysterious like quests as in you have to figure it out on your own are wonderful. But it shouldn't be overdone.

3. If its work as in, kill me this, get me that, go there is ok. It allows the more less-thinking players to at least finish one of the quests.

4. Not bad, not good. I'm a bit neutral here.. As long as there aren't to much of them errand quests its all fine. Or just a few NPC to only give them.

5. Hmmm...., NO.

6. ? What about quests involving you to remember something and tell it to the npcs. For example: A NPC gives you a book, you have to read it and later the NPC asks questions about it and put a bit of a trap on it.

NPC: Here, take this book and read it.
Player: Thanks, i'll look in to it.
---
NPC: Did you read the book yet?
1/Player: Yes, i did, it was very interesting.
2/Player: No, i didn't yet.

1/NPC: What did **** do when **** happened then?
2/NPC: Ok, take your time.

If he didn't read it and choosed 1.. uh oh. Wink

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note that has been brought up by a few... puzzle quests are puzzles for the first ones to solve them. For comparison... Akarra's longest quest took 8 hours for the first ones to go for it (I think that involved finding the NPC, or rather NPT, that gave it as well). A month later anyone could complete it in an hour. Though it wasn't that rewarding experience-wise, it was a new spell and a cool one. You could make them a bit individual depending on race, faction, class...?
Dw
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic quests! Stuff that could be completed only once by only one fellowship/party/whatever. Maybe no items should be given from these nor a lot of exp either, but a chance to affect the storyline somehow or a chance to reveal something new. That's the kind of quests I would enjoy, something with what I can actually affect the game and not just get two silver coins and a crappy sword for bringing items A, B and C to npc X.
I'd love to see puzzle quests turn out to be something like that.
Though now as I think of it, my "idea" sounds more like an admin-run event than a quest.. Neutral

<end offtopic>
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dw - I like it, noted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like that Dw... My poofiness could go down in Darian History. Quite deviating.

1.) Story line
2.) Puzzles
3.) Harvest (Nothing like a good old beating to have some fun)
4.) Work quests
5.) Earrands. If you don't bring in a travelling merchant... it's good. If you do... make sure you can tie him to a tree. :|

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Another thing.. Reply with quote

I also wanted to say that i think long quests are better. Don't hestitate on making them difficult either, i think most advanced RPG'ers would like to stand in front of a mystery and it has to be well thought about to have it solved.

I didn't see Eckards dirty work as quests really, perhaps said before but bringing something from NPC M to NPC X isn't quite uh.. original.

Ransk, i like your idea, it would be great to see such a thing. I can imagine this terribly hard quest (perhaps puzzle) that would only be able to be completed once.. say in a tower or alike. Wink

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: