Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community Discussion: Questing - CD I
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Community Discussion: Questing - CD I Reply with quote

This one is going to be somewhat short, but basically came to mind as I was working on some of the storyline for Daria.

I am curious to know as the 'caliber' of our game community when it comes to questing.

What styles do you prefer. In this CD I am gonna have categorized quests and I want you to put a number by them 1 being the highest and 5 being the lowest which you enjoy more.

As well if you want to discuss and give me some more information about yourself describe your favorite and least favorite.

Possible Quest Types

Harvest Quests - ?
(killing X amount of monsters)]
Errand Quests - ?
(running supplies or an item to another NPC)
Storyline Quests - ?
(quests that open up more of the storyline and require very little figuring out)
Solving Puzzles - ?
(Quests that open up the history and storyline of Daria but require searching and complete focus on other stories and quests to complete)
Work Quests - ?
(jobs for NPC's and such)

Gotta go to work guys. Have fun with this one.
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Questing - CD I Reply with quote

1. Solving Puzzles
Yes. Absolutely #1. Sounds like something different, not like your normal "HAY BRING ME STUFFS AND I'LL TEACH YOU TO BLOW UP THE WORLD WITH YOUR LITTLE FINGER". Besides a little bit of roleplaying can never hurt.
2. Storyline quests
Absolutely #2. Reasons ^. But not #1 since stuff easy to figure out isn't as rewarding as figuring out something hard. ;o
3. Work Quests
^
4. Harvest quests
I've never liked these. In akarra they were especially boooooring when you had to camp the spawns.
5. Errand quests
The ultimately annoying crap. "Get me stuff from the nine hells, then go to a church dressed as a demon and don't get killed and go to the deepest dungeons and bring me a mushroom from there so I can give you 3 gold coins as a reward."

Last edited by Dw on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
maestro
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Storyline Quests
2. Solving Puzzles
3. Work Quests
4. Harvest Quests
5. Errand Quests
Basically, if all the quest requires is time (e.g. travel from a to b, talk to an npc and travel back) then it's boring. If the NPC is in a dangerous area or something more is required to get to the NPC it's more fun.

Another thing, when solving puzzles, maybe puzzles could be constructed in a way that it is different for each character. Otherwise people will just get spoilers from other people that already did the quest. Just something to think about...
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Solving puzzles.
I love it when lore gets to play in. Though I doubt they will remain puzzles for long.
2. Storyline quests.
Easy to figure out and yet make sense. Trés bien.

3-5: I find the remaining three to be repetetive (how exactly do you propose we will work for a NPC without getting ingredients for them?). However, not only bad things come out of these. Ask wreck and Kinten about Eckard the Merchant from Akarra. He wanted items progressively harder to retrieve which more or less forced you to explore. I liked that. If a quest encourages exploration, it's a good one.
Thandrophir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.Solving Puzzles
2. Storyline quests
3. Harvest quests
4. Work Quests
5. Errand quests

3 and 4 may be switched, it depends on how many locations the monsters are located, and often they spawn.

The artist formally known as BlueHyren.
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Questing - CD I Reply with quote

Solving Puzzles - 1
Anything that makes you think is good.

Storyline Quests - 2
Gotta have an occasional break for story.

Work Quests - 3
Isn't this the same as errand quests? I'll assume not and say that work quests somehow involve a bit more depth than mindless errands. How it does I do not know, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt.

Errand Quests - 4
Still need to do the occasional job here and there.

Harvest Quests - 5
Come on, this is an RPG, we need more to do than just running around hacking and slashing. Useful in conjuction with other quests, however, it might encourage camping of areas if not carefully done.

Basically, I want to see more thinking-type things to do. Combat is already there for the action side of us, quests should involve that slightly and also give us a mental workout as to the best way to do things.

Oh, yeah, I like chess too.
Thanquol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Questing - CD I Reply with quote

1. Storyline quests
2. Work quests
3. Errand quests
4. Solving puzzles
5. Harvest quests

Harvest Quests - ?

HATE 'em!

Errand Quests - ?

Don't mind em at all - as long as they don't ask for more than a few items :O

Storyline Quests - ?

Gimme!

Solving Puzzles - ?

Some are necessary - lots are just annoying.

Work Quests - ?

Keeps you busy from.. things.
Arallu
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Solving Puzzles
2. Storyline Quests
3. Work Quests
4. Harvest Quests
5. Errand Quests

I rated the last 3 like others did, because they get quite repeatative quickly, and that's quite annoying...
I rated the first one as I'd love to dig deeper into the history of Daria... a good storyline will add depth and interest into the gameplay, much like I enjoyed playing through many other games to finally understand the plot...
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Solving Puzzles- solving puzzles is always fun
2. Storyline quests- always good to take a break from the slashing and hacking to progress in the storyline
3. Work quests- not the most fun thing ever but every once in a while is no big deal
4. Harvest quests- no, quests where u have to camp and wait for kills is horrible.
5. Errand quests- NO! errand quests are the worst kind of any quest imaginable its just walking which takes time and theyre usually really. really boring.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Questing - CD I Reply with quote

1. Puzzle Quests - Ahhhhh thought and logic. What a great idea. This is what separates the true thinkers from the rest. Well, at least until the way to solve it is posted somewhere....
2. Stoyline Quests - RPGers like stories, hack and slashers don't. Reward those willing to participate in Daria lore and legend.
3. Errand Quests - Get this, get that, take this here, put that there... Kinda boring, but can be done while doing something else.
4. Work Quests - Again kinda boring, but can be done while doing something else.
5 Harvest Quests - Killing x amount of monsters for a quest??? Good gods, man... They're called Role Playing Games not Hack 'n' Slash Games. Let's try not to encourage this too much shall we? It would be bad to encourage the kill kill kill, xp xp xp, quest complete more xp/better item, kill kill kill, xp xp xp, quest complete more xp/better item attitude... I can understand it if it was grow some crops to feed the village, or catch some cod from the fjords... Like actual harvesting quests... You already get rewarded from killing monsters... It's called xp and drops.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: