Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing system? - R
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, once again my 2 cents on this mater is the author should not be motivated to write a story to make money. People will think writing books is an easy way to make money instead of fighting or doing other things for money. Is that bad? Yes and no.

What I would like to see is the Darian Review Group that decides how good the books are and such would give the book a rating. Based on that rating or even player rating the book would then go to a certain library.

There would be a few 'levels' of librarys the highest.. say being the Darian's Ancient Lore or something of that sort where players would have to find this library. This library would hold only the top of the player written lore but as well possibly clues to Daria's Secrets and Mysteries.

So lets take the debate out of making money or selling books to a more of a rating system for the book itself and the types of library levels we should have etc.. or if this idea is not good at all.
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enquillion wrote:
Drop it. Drop setting a price by length. Drop it.

People will add pointless sentences, be over-elaborate and so on, and so on. Drop it.

That said, the price would have to be manually determined and the ups and downs have been mentioned, so I still don't like the system at all.
That's what the council is for. Rolling Eyes

@Kalorian: It's like selling art of any kind. Some people do it just to make money, some people make art and sell it but not for the purpose to get money. I said a bookstore because -

A - People can gain respect and money in Daria for what they are good at.
B - Because if it were a library, people wouldn't bother to post it in-game.

And again, I have a lot of posts to read. But let's keep it a simple system. If it were a really complicated one, the developers likely wouldn't put it in or they would have a lot of problems that needed to be painstakingly(sp?) sorted out.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonslayer7, the last paragraph mentioned that it would have to be determined manually (=by that council), and I said I didn't like it, I've argued about it, so that was pretty much a poor counter. Wink
kinten
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea and I agree with Kalorian on the money/rating part.
I've noted it in my book of roleplaying enhancing ideas.

When it comes to who should rate the books you shouldnt worry. These are the kind of things we have the Elders of Daria forums for.

Cheers!
Demonslayer7
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enquillion wrote:
Demonslayer7, the last paragraph mentioned that it would have to be determined manually (=by that council), and I said I didn't like it, I've argued about it, so that was pretty much a poor counter. Wink
You said that the money by word system would be bad because people who spam would get lots of money instead of the real writers (which I already discussed). When I would say the reviewers would judge how good the book is, I meant whether it fit the requirements (no spam, no sexually explicit content, etc.). Or to balance the writing game a litte, to prevent author domination we could have a 'top picks list' organized by a fansite that would be set up like a book reccomendation list. Even though books will have different prices by length, the prices (realistically) shouldn't vary too much. Or, a demand price could be organized. The more a book is demanded, the higher the price raised. Again, even the maximum price of book price inflation shouldn't vary much from the original price, it should give the author a little extra money for popularity. Not saying a book that isn't as popular isn't as good, but probably those who worked harder on their stories should get more bonuses.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, my bad. But the supply/demand thingy, that's exactly what the open market is about.

I have another solution. Just let the author pay for the printing of each copy. Say (Akarrian money) 1cc for every 100 letters. That way, longer books could realistically be more expensive, but nobody would add useless parts since these would force the author himself to pay more without necessarily getting enough out of it.

After this, the author could either sell the books to book merchants, or give copies to reviewers so that they can rate it before more are printed. And the reviewers would put their opinions on some fansite, of course. That way, the author can determine how much he wants book merchants to pay for a copy. Naturally, if he sells the books himself, they will be cheaper.

Also, this doesn't force the price to be based on length, there's just a minimum price that the author must ask to simply not lose money on the deal.

As well, there were people in Akarra who would pay 10 gold coins for this book:

Title: How to craft the Assassin's Stiletto of Venom
Authors: Enquillion and Azura

All the content: One (1) Assassin's Stiletto + One (1) Iwid Tablet of Power + Three (3) Iwid Tablets of Health, craft at Holger's.

No one would pay nearly as much for a regular story. And please don't bring in publishers. -.-
Sum Ting Wong
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe stories about all of the old days in daria, as in stories about prominent players in the community and their deeds, so that future darians will know all about stant and enquillion and stuff

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh... Maybe. Or the lore book can accompany a longsword that was created in honor of my deeds. =\ Maybe not...
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Talonz
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enquillion wrote:
I have another solution. Just let the author pay for the printing of each copy. Say (Akarrian money) 1cc for every 100 letters. That way, longer books could realistically be more expensive, but nobody would add useless parts since these would force the author himself to pay more without necessarily getting enough out of it.

I suggested something similar to that, great minds think alike!

Kal, I like your idea about the different leveled libraries, but book writing can still be a business. As long as they are checked over by the reviewers, there should be any terribly bad books put into the game. If it's bad, (like enquillion said:) word will be spread by mouth fansites etc, and you won't sell copies.

Maybe at some point, the author is not allowed to sell any more copies, and the book retires. Depending on the number of copies sold, the FULL edition of the book is moved to a standard library, but you can't put it in your inventory and such (thus the actual item-ized books are still of value?)...

This... This must be a nightmare! Those eyes... It's like looking into the eyes of the diablo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: