Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Animated sprites...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewreck wrote:

and hey. look at civilisation I & II, they didnt need fancy gfx and they were Ace.

True, don't know how many hours i've been playing civ 2, and don't want to know. All I know is that it's far too many...
I haven't played any game more than i played civ 2 for sure.
It realy is a fantastic game, even tough the gfx sucked(but it wasn't bad on release back in 95).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
thewreck
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, i have to stress another point.

I make games because i enjoy it. i love doing it. i think its fun.

I do not like making enless frames of exactly the same charachter running,attacking,spellcasting,whatever in 8 directions. I hate it, i dont think its fun.

that alone is enough of an argument for me.

sorry for seeming crude, but ive been over this soo many times.
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thingk it just have looked weird anyway, its good that you don't do it imo
Making things you like is good, and the result are othen better when you do somethng that you enjoy doing. So just keep it up! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sum Ting Wong
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

part of the reason i liked akarra to begin with was the graphics... moving sprites instead of sprites that show equipment will make this game just as crappy as tibia or loradon, which, IMHO are really really really crappy games... so is anything made using the playerworlds engine... but tahts just me.

SAY NO TO DRUGS AND ANIMATED SPRITES
ecllipse21
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i gotta admit Akarras gfx were the best ive ever seen, this new 3d stuff if cool but nothing can ever compete with Akarra Laughing
thewreck
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you liked akarras Gfx, you will basically LOVE darias Gfx
Chybi
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with almost everyon here that says No to Animatied characters, I loved Akarra's graphics. Simple yet Effective. And Also, adding animations means more work for the devs so game takes longer to release and has less features.

The Ranger without a cause.

Note to self: When faced with Human stupidity at it's best, RUN LIKE HELL
spoon
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enquillion wrote:
Those graphics kept the game unique. I liked the simplicity of Akarra. A gimmick is better than something half-assed.

i agree.
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not disagreeing with the uniqueness or niceness of the graphics in Akarra, but I think what we're getting at is a way to at least try and implement more -interesting- graphics while still making it easy to maintain and not look like garbage.

Already had a bit of a discussion on this with TheWreck on IRC, and it comes down to that basically... Unless I'm totally missing the boat here, in which case please correct me.

An idea that was thrown out was to render the characters in 3D, then throw clothes/items on top and take screencaps for each direction/movement for the sprite animation. Because we're working at a small scale, details wouldn't be incredibly difficult to do, and most likely would only require one or two people to handle it all and do it properly.

Before shooting down the idea saying that it would implemented half-baked, know that nothing needs to be done immediately. From what I understand, coding and modifying the engine would not be a tremendous hassle. The real hassle is in the maintaining of the various sprites, directions, etc.

I propose an idea like super-imposing sprites where possible, like weapons on top of the character. That way you only need one sprite of a character swinging a sword, and you have the sprite of the sword itself super-imposed on top, animated in a swinging motion. The same could be done for other weapons. If you still don't get it, think "modularization of sprites" for efficiency.

Thoughts or comments?
Demonslayer7
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just 4-directional sprites?

Or keep the original. I think it would be unecessary work to make 8-directional sprites for Daria.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: