Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community Discussion: Monsters & Monster AI - CD I
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanquol
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Monsters & Monster AI - CD I Reply with quote

1. What would you like to see monsters do in Daria? (how they react to player interaction and situations.. being casted on.. being outnumbered etc..)

I would like to see realistic pack behaviour akin to those we see in a variety of animals on Earth. I prefer things to be realistic than to skip stuff to make games easier so i'd really like to see a lot of realistic instinct and thought coming from Darian monsters.

2. If you could change the monster AI (Aritificial Intelligence) in Whisper of Akarra, what would you change?

Same as Stant.

3. Whats your feelings on instanced Dungeons and Quests? Does it add to the depth of the game? take away? Does it benefit and increase party play? decrease? Would you like to see it in Daria?

I love 'em - no destractions, other parties, newbs hanging around. They work well in other game (such as FFXI) and they would certainly be a welcome addition to me for Daria.

4. What do you prefer in fighting? (Pick one and explain why you prefer it)

[A.] Lots of Monsters, Less Experience per kill, quicker battles

[B.] Fewer Monsters, More Experience per kill, and longer battles

I'm gonna have to go with B on this one. I like challenges and despise the thought of swarms and swarms of creatures running at you to be cut down with one swipe - wasting stamina. Although it may slow down leveling and make you feel uber strong; it will lead to impractical fights.

5. Your feelings on Continuos Spawning at one or two locations vs Random spawning throughout a zone.

Random outside of dugeons - Continuous inside Dungeons.

6. Should monsters chat/taunt/run away from PC players?

Yes! Obviously only taunting or chatting if they are physically capable of it, and fleeing if they are faced with mass odds (if they have the brain capacity to know that they will die). It adds muchos fun and realism to a game.
GoldenSilence
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. What would you like to see monsters do in Daria? (how they react to player interaction and situations.. being casted on.. being outnumbered etc..)

If the chat is similar to that of WiA, I would think some monsters should react to players talking to each other outside of /g or /f chat. That is, if you're talking for everyone around to hear, why shouldn't monsters hear and, if they are aggressive, come after you for invading their territory? If they are cowardly, they could run away since they know you are coming and maybe if you still first attack them, they'd be more likely to dodge since they know you're there.

(I'll skip the ones that I don't have anything new to say about)

3. Whats your feelings on instanced Dungeons and Quests? Does it add to the depth of the game? take away? Does it benefit and increase party play? decrease? Would you like to see it in Daria?

Not sure I understand how this works, but I know some of my best friends in WiA were made through fighting alongside people in dungeons and helping them or getting helped out. The best way to learn about someone was through fighting beside them. So I wouldn't want all to be instanced, but I can see where it could help in congested areas. (Is this an all or nothing thing?) Is there some way you could get dungeon experience so that the first few times through you have to go in the common dungeon with everyone else, but they have an option of going to the instanced version with just your group? Or maybe I just don't get it.
Demonslayer7
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it says, make it short and sweet!

Bunnies and timid creature warm up to players who move less in their area

2. If you could change the monster AI (Aritificial Intelligence) in Whisper of Akarra, what would you change?

Nothing

I am not totally sure about this, but I want whatever one is best to keep spammers out.

A, because I can hardly ever find parties so I solo alot.

5. Your feelings on Continuos Spawning at one or two locations vs Random spawning throughout a zone.

Random spawning I like more because less people would abuse spawn points and it feels more natural.

Some should, some shouldn't.
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Monsters & Monster AI - CD I Reply with quote

They should react.... logically?

Example: Depending on the intelligence/gutsiness of the monster type, lone monsters might run away when ganged up on, or perhaps they'll run toward their home so that they can get backup.

Every monster ran away when it was weak. That was annoying since we could not catch up to them sometimes.

While this may be fun for a small group of adventurers, it takes away from the MMORPG "world" aspect by dividing up the population. I would much rather be surprised by a stray adventurer running about in a dark cave, "stealing" my kill accidently and have a friendly RP and/or party with him/her, than to be in a isolated zone until I get back to the overworld.

[A.] Lots of Monsters, Less Experience per kill, quicker battles
The more-weaker monsters combo makes the player have to do something. Unless the battle system becomes more complicated where you can do all sorts of special dodging and running around, etc., then B is not feasible.

Random spawning for sure. Prevents player "camping." Some spawning should be done in a random but general area, though, like a monster's tent of some sort, which would include stronger monsters so that players don't "camp" there.

Taunt: Boss monsters and more difficult than normal monsters could have a text in the chat box. Other monsters could have a short line appear over their heads instead.

Run: Some monsters should be smart enough to run when they are weak, others could occasionally be gutsy and continue to fight if the battle looks close. Some monsters would naturally run before they are even weak if their intelligence is not high, others might stand around and be destroyed for their stupidity.
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@lookingtodie - you don't understand the meaning of an instanced dungeon, Have someone explain it to you in IRC and repost. Thanks Smile.

So what it seems the community wants is a (hidden) level base for monsters. Aggressive Levels from 1 to 10, which would effect if it runs after you or runs away from you or 'sits there and drools'

I would think this would change as you rise up in level. A level 10 creature wouldn't go running after a level 20 player just to die unless its intelligence is low

Thoughts on an Intelligence and Aggressive meter?
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very neat! I'd also like it to be manipulative for some very interesting crowd control. Say that intelligence level 1 basically means you attack anything that moves. If there is a spell to lower intelligence levels of monsters to make them turn on each other (since you go invisible, sneaky as you are), it would be pretty awesome. And that's just one I can think of. :)
Dw
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enquillion wrote:
Sounds very neat! I'd also like it to be manipulative for some very interesting crowd control. Say that intelligence level 1 basically means you attack anything that moves. If there is a spell to lower intelligence levels of monsters to make them turn on each other (since you go invisible, sneaky as you are), it would be pretty awesome. And that's just one I can think of. :)

Am I just tired or what, since all I got out of that was "give mages an unfair advantage over fighters so they either have to suffer or waste their attributes on useless intelligence since we wizards had to suffer in akarra"?
Or then again you might've meant only monsters. If you did, ignore this crap.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no no, intelligence purely as a monster attribute. Although, now that you mention it... Twisted Evil

Could also give fighters such skills. I mean, an intimidating battle cry that make monster minions turn on their master, etc, etc.
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enquillion wrote:
Could also give fighters such skills. I mean, an intimidating battle cry that make monster minions turn on their master, etc, etc.

How realistic. :P

But, battle cry-like sounds could be used as a passive skill in fighting. A realistic example being like shouting "kyah!" or whatever your shout is when fighting in martial arts. Scare the enemy, make them trip up, surprise/stun them for a second, and reap appropriate combat rewards (stronger hits, better chance of hitting, etc.)
Hexedian
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, fighters could have some crowd-control skills that either scare the enemies, or enrage them to the point that they'll forget to run away.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: