Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community Discussion: Monsters & Monster AI - CD I
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Community Discussion: Monsters & Monster AI - CD I Reply with quote

Hello all,

Yes its me.. and I am still alive believe it or not. To all those of you that tried to devise away for me to get out of exams, I appreciate it Smile, but I took the exams anyways. I survived and I think all but one exam should come out good.

Anyways its been a while sense I've posted a CD and I need something to read Smile . The other 3 Discussions have died down some and I need to go reread and get all the ideas/concepts out of there and see what to make of them.

This weeks CD is going to be on Monsters & Monster AI. I am sure a lot of you folks have tons to add to this so.. without further delay the questions.

-----------------------------

1. What would you like to see monsters do in Daria? (how they react to player interaction and situations.. being casted on.. being outnumbered etc..)

2. If you could change the monster AI (Aritificial Intelligence) in Whisper of Akarra, what would you change?

3. Whats your feelings on instanced Dungeons and Quests? Does it add to the depth of the game? take away? Does it benefit and increase party play? decrease? Would you like to see it in Daria?

(Note: For those of you that don't know what instanced dungeons are I will quickly explain. An instanced dungeon is where you and a party of people can go into a dungeon/quest area as a group and no other players can come in and bug ya.. kill the boss or own everything. Its completely for you and your group to see if you guys can handle it. Each party would open up a new instance to the quest.. so none of the groups would be in the same 'zone' sort to say. If this confuses you ask some people in #Daria Wink )

4. What do you prefer in fighting? (Pick one and explain why you prefer it)

Note: This is in 'one' battle, whats being compared is the Size vs Strength of the battle.

[A.] Lots of Monsters, Less Experience per kill, quicker battles

[B.] Fewer Monsters, More Experience per kill, and longer battles

There is no C and there is NO middle. Have an issue with this talk with thewreck Razz

5. Your feelings on Continuos Spawning at one or two locations vs Random spawning throughout a zone.

(Note: Continuos Spawning - Monsters spawn one or two locations, Random Spawning - Monsters can spawn anywhere in the zone.)

6. Should monsters chat/taunt/run away from PC players?

--------------

Have fun!
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. What would you like to see monsters do in Daria? (how they react to player interaction and situations.. being casted on.. being outnumbered etc..)

--Monsters should run when wounded, fight harder when outnumbered, have no exact coord where they spawn (It should vary slightly), should attack weakest players first (or strongest, depends on the monster I suppose), and should flee players that are significantly higher than it, unless they aren't hostile.

2. If you could change the monster AI (Aritificial Intelligence) in Whisper of Akarra, what would you change?

--I wouldn't make them return to a specific spot when they give up chase or are fleeing. They could walk around a bit and make it back eventually, but wouldn't ignore eveything while trying to get there.

3. Whats your feelings on instanced Dungeons and Quests? Does it add to the depth of the game? take away? Does it benefit and increase party play? decrease? Would you like to see it in Daria?

--I'd love to see it in DoD. (I even suggested it around here somewhere)

--A, because it keeps you occupied.

5. Your feelings on Continuos Spawning at one or two locations vs Random spawning throughout a zone.

--I'd like random spawning throught a zone, just because it adds a small element of suprise and would sorta prevent spawn camping.

--Maybe if it like... shows up over their heads. Otherwise it would just be junk clogging the chat box.

The artist formally known as BlueHyren.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like them to be able to identify character weaknesses (maybe even have a spell that does it) and act accordingly. IE if a character has low AC, they deal more lethal but less accurate blows towards them. If resistance A is low, they use those spells against them. Being outnumbered I'd like to see them try to take as many assailants with them as possible, rather than just running. Blaze of glory or what have you.

It's so little to work with to begin with. I'd like them to have some limits that characters also have (stamina, mana) and be specialized in their damn profession. In Akarra we had monster mages with a HP/level and melee damage/level ratio similar to that of warrior monsters. That just sucked. Some of them sucked at magic as well. Though neither of this falls under AI...

Hmm. Tough one. I'd like some bosses to be semi-instanced; only one party can fight them at a time. However, another party couldn't get their own area where the boss was. As for instanced random dungeons, I'm neutral for now.

Fewer monsters, longer battles, more experience per kill. It just sounds more challenging (and less macro-able?) than the other option. More... interesting.

Random spawning. Use pre-determined spawning spots and people find the best order in which to clear these for maximum experience/time. Makes it boring.

As for chats and taunts, not really necessary. Chat box space is sufficient for this?

Running away... well... at least keep their distance if they can tell you're significantly stronger, however defend themselves if attacked. Though of course, not all monsters are wise enough to tell an easy prey from their own doom.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the creature, some are just naturally agressive and others aren't. A pack of wolves won't wait for you to mess with them before they gang up on you, and a group of rabbits usually scatter when danger arrives.

My biggest peeves are that they don't follow the same laws we have to follow. If we have a 'recharge' wait after using magic, so should monster magic users. If we have to worry about running out of mana and stamina, the monsters should try to flee and rest when they run out. (My biggest complaint) If I can't see them, they shouldn't be able to see me. Unless, of course, if they were creatures who could use scent to track and locate someone, or had darkvision. Midnight and in dungeons suck when you got gators rippin you apart and you can't even see what you're standing next to.

I think if these dungeons required things like a FS of 4 or more, 5 or more, 6 or more, the level of the monsters inside adjusted to the average level of the party, and there were a few spread around Hell, I'd love having them. Consider them like minimal use training areas. If you need a quest to get in, then you can only get so many quests... Unless you made it like in Mu where you had to acquire certain items, then have a NPC combine them, then you could use that new item to get in. (It had a level req as well.) That would be pretty good too.

If I have only these options I'd definately pick A. The more mosters we got spread around, the less likely we're all going to get bunched up into one place. Less experience per creature means it'll take a lot longer for people to get up to the higher levels. I'm not so sure they'll be quicker battles, unless I make the assumption you plan on making the monsters weaker then you were planning. I'd rather see the difficulty level increase where it takes full FS's a few minutes to pound their way through a group of creatures that Co-op their attacks.

RANDOM!!!!!! Continuous spawning in one place makes people set up and camp. I'd understand it if the mosters all spawned from a portal to hell and fanned out and tried to overrun the place, but the normal creature life of which ever environment you're in should always pop up in the same spot.

If taunts were made into a skill and had to be used like magic, I can agree with it. If it was just a fight or flight response set up from keywords in a chat... Screw that. I'd rather they all just outright attacked you for talking around them. As for them talking, it depends. Taratels were funny, "Izzit." "Tzzzt." Bek, was... Well, Bekerton was Bekerton. Ghosts appearing out of a wall and yelling "Booo mutha fucka!" would be funny at first, but gets really boring after having to see it over and over again. As for running away, that would have to be defined by what the creatures normal behavior should be. Agressive creatures like lions and wolves shouldn't run unless they get they ass handed to them... Rabbits generally try to flee right away, though not always. (Gotta love Monty Python's cave rabbit. =D )
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the monster, as said before. Some mansters are agressive by nature and some aren't. Some monsters fight till they die no matter what what they face, some flee when they see one(or perhaps one third of their group, or something simular) of thier own fall and some monsters just let you pas as long as you stay away form thier kids or their nest - like most animals do in our world.

I second Stants answer here

i'm slightly nagative to this, but i dont realy know. I think it's fun to encounter another fs, but if many fses want to go to the same area this may be a solution.

I think i like B the most, A is more like hack and slash รก la Diablo. But i why cant you make different ares, some with harder mosters and more XP and some with easyer mosters and less XP. But still the same XP per time

Random, i think everyone wants that

Mini bosses could chat with PC players like this:
I'm beakton the gatelord, i shall not let you pass, i'll slay you for distubing our peace here, Draw steel and fight till you die!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dw
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Discussion: Monsters & Monster AI - CD I Reply with quote

Quote:

'Til the last man falls! Nah, I'd rather see different monsters have different reactions.. the most idiotic ones would just sit there and drool on you while you hack them apart, while the more intelligent ones would flee and do k00l tricks such as the commandos in half-life ;) etc.
Quote:

The annoying thing which made iwid mages target only one person of the fs (if the target was a wizard, gg). I can't remember wherther they modified this or not, but anyway.
Oh, and the fleeing was mostly annoying, since the monsters always fled to the same point - their spawn. :E

Quote:

EWW.

Quote:

I would choose something else, or both, but since..

Quote:
There is no C and there is NO middle. Have an issue with this talk with thewreck :-P

Mmmh. I'd rather have many monsters, since it's epic! Nothing beats the feeling of charging into a mass of darklings and wiping out every single one of them alone! BLOOOOOD! ..yeah.
Long battles would have been my choice, but if it means the battles are going to be some utterly boring "you hit monster for 0.1 points of damage" "monster hits you for 0.1 points of damage" -crap, then no thanks.

Quote:

Ummh, I'm not too sure about this. If you're going to have an akarra-like resting system, random spawns will be hell. (side note: no crappy "hey-you-must-carry-these-100000-healing-potions-with-you-if-you-do-not-wish-to-be-killed" -system please :E)
Then again spawncamping is highly boring. I'm in for the random spawns as long as it doesn't make regenerating impossible. :|
Quote:

Spamming taratels are a legend already. But nah, maybe only some boss monsters like Bekarton (my favourite <3) should shout stuff.
About monsters running, I've stated my opinion already. ;o

That's about it..
Kaoryn
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Response. Reply with quote

Haha...funny stuff Dw. =D

Quote:

I would definately like to see a smart AI. Like most of ya'll already covered the basics and what not, but also, I'd like to see some of the more advanced hostile enemies fire on you with arrows, until you were within melee range, then whip out a sword n beat the shit out of you. =) That would be most lovely.

Quote:

Umm...I'd not make them give up the chase so easily. I mean I can understand if the monster was passive, you attack him, he chase for a bit...then give up. But the hostile enemies should be what they are....HOSTILE! Chase that mother focker that hit you till he stops breating out of his nose! LoL.

Quote:

Eh..doesn't sound to good. If you don't want people in the same dungeon as you, either level faster, or stop playing the game. Simple as that.

Quote:

I dunno. I know there isn't a third option but I'd like to see three things.... the fewer enemies for like beginner levels, the more enemies for the more exp that's needed for the higher enemies....and possibly a group thats like 25 or so enemies, with an average/high amount of experience....like an all out war. Imagine a 6 man fellowship, arould level 40 or so a piece, against 25-30 level 35-40 darklings. I'm talking major wars and manslaughter. (Thats a real rough draft...if that is used, i'm sure you can do better than I. lol)

Quote:

Random spawns. No predictibility, increased challenge.

Quote:

I'm all for bosses shouting out crap at you to make you feel intimidated...I am against having birds say "caw!" every 10 seconds.... And definately run. Tell me something, if an iwid warrior is getting the shit kicked out of it, I don't think it's gonna stand around like..."Ouch..hey this really hurts...ow...."

"An Optimist is the Human Personification of Spring."
LookinToDie
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No, thanks. It's just plain frustrating if you can't go in somewhere.

Quote:

Definitely B. Think of teamplay. However... I enjoyed slashing a dozen of Darklings at a time as well BD
Cannibal
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please god, don't make Rabbits run from players. Not only will I
have to start over as a N00b.. I'm going to have to chase a Rabbit
with 1 HP with my damn wooden club and no dignity.
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have the fiercer and braver monsters approach a player when he is detected though so for the weaker or shady monsters they would let the player approach.

I Would also like to see 'groups' of monsters. Like the darklings for example. The group would excist out of a ranged monster, a healer, a fighter etc. This would be fun to see, and give them more teamplay since they are of their own kin so why not fight together. The run away to the rest if they are being outnumbered, or run to the healer so he can spam them with *healing powers*.

I liked the way it worked in Akarra though i would make the overseer and "stronger then the rest" monsters not give up so easily by letting you run out of danger. Let them chase you down till they got your head or you got his.

I'd like to see monsters perform tactics. Say a folk of grouped monsters, very rare to see have their own unique tactic. Not just run towards you and try to kill you and if you run away they just follow your path.. Let them have their own route, cut your route. You try to run away, one of their mages teleports in your route to trap you. Very Happy They form a circle and your trapped as in a cage. THAT is what i would like see SOME monsters do. Not all.

Well lets look at it this way: What if you go in the dungeon with a party and a guild member asks to join up with you? How could that be resolved?

I wouldn't like to see it, just leave it as it was in Akarra. But in return make more of those unique monsters and say if the one isn't there you can always go for the other unique monster. You get a quest to kill The turtle queen, Old Magor. You go there and she's already killed then you have another choise to kill someone else to satisfy the NPC who gave the quest.

Hmmmm.
I can't really pick one, because i'd choose more monsters, less experience but longer battles. The more monsters the longer it takes, right?

If not, then just A. Since the monsters in WiA took fairly long to kill (referring to common monsters, not unique) compared to other RPG's.
Though i mainly agree with Stant on 4.

Like Dw, random spawning would make a hell for people resting. Imagine resting to get your life up and a bagarog suddenly spawns next to you to help you end your resting.
I'd rather have the Continuos Spawning, gives you more time to think of a plan to attack them too. Not think of a plan and a goblin pops out of the ground below your feet.

Run away? Hell no! This was a nightmare, and it is dishonorable. Like in WiA your fighting a bunch of horrors, gets to 2 hp and runs of with blind speed (they do not suffer stamina) while you are there standing between 2 other horrors attacking you with only 10 stamina left wich is not enough to keep up with the cowardly horror leaving; you just wasted your charges.

Chat and taunts are nice for the bosses or leader monsters. Not all of them though. Running through a cave to get to the end and seeing this in your chat box:
Zombie: Heummmmm
*Skeleton plays with his bones*
Zombie: Huhhhhhhhhh?
Zombie: Heummm

The horror..

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Archived All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: