Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alias system and interface
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruisleipa
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Alias system and interface Reply with quote

Is there going to be any sort of alias system? I'd personally love to see one. Basicly what this thing does is reduce the time typing.

Alias works like an acronym; it's defined and then used. Aliases could be stored client-side, to reduce bandwidth.

Example. A player who regularely talks with Rech and Dw- ingame would like a quick way to chat with them. He'd write the following;
Quote:

/alias "Rech" "/t Rech"
/alias "Dw-" "/t Dw- "

Above we see 3 things, command that makes alias's, alias's name and lastly, what it does. They'd be in quotation marks to better define their starting and ending points.

Now, if he'd say: "Rech hello!", it'd be sent in as "/t Rech hello!".

This'd also call for an /unalias command, an example of a player who no longer needs an alias to talk to Rech:

/unalias "Rech"

It'd do the opposite, remove an alias in quotes.

To remove any unneeded accidents, when you are sending a message only first word is checked for alias references. A misused line example:
Quote:

/alias "Rech" "/t Rech "
/alias "Dw-" "/t Dw- "
/alias "Enq" "/t Enquillion "
Enq Dw- Rech

Would result in Enquillion hearing a message consisting of: "Dw- Rech" instead of "/t Rech /t Dw- ".

I'd say people would certainly gain ALOT from this, especially in partying. Quick alias for calling buffs and healing or informing party of aggromonster approaching, etc. Wink
--------
Side topic: What changes have you planned on interface compared to the Akarra one? Do we get one of those "everything is movable" interfaces that seem to be the trend in mmorpgs?
maestro
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea. But there could still be situations where you for example would like to use "Enq" as a first word in the main chat. Let's say that someone ask you.

"Anyone have that new superior staff?"

And you would like to reply: "Enq has."

Of course, when you get used to the system you will think about it and maybe reply: "Yes, Enq has." But still, there are situations when this could be a bit of a problem.

Some sort of alias system would be good though.
Ruisleipa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maestro wrote:
Of course, when you get used to the system you will think about it and maybe reply: "Yes, Enq has." But still, there are situations when this could be a bit of a problem.

Hmm, please clarify the problems so we can think stuff against them.

To what you said however, a simple renaming of alias would solve it, I mean, I most likely will make a personal prefix for alias's, like "§" or something, something to seperate words from alias, kinda like the "/" in commands.
Rech

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

't' is command for 'tell $*'
'r' is alias for 'ryyzläbä'
't r blaa' -> You tell Ryyzläbä, "blaa."

?

Edit:

Oh and:

't r,dw,enq blaa' -> You tell Ryyzläbä, Rakssnkaleipae and Enquillion, "blaa."

Editedit:

Maybe you could also steal something from Achaea and give some flavour to says and get rid of some smileys.

'say blaa' -> You say, 'Blaa.'
'say blaa!' -> You exclaim 'Blaa!'
'say blaa?' -> You ask, 'Blaa?'
'say blaa :)' -> You smile and say, 'Blaa.'
'say blaa :(' -> You sniff sadly and say, 'Blaa.'
'say blaa :E' -> You sacrifice a moongoat to the GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN NECROBOBSLEDDER and scream, 'Blaa.'
etc.
And of course you could change your command for saying to like '-', 's' or whatever.

Editeditedit: FUCKING EMOTICONS!!1

BatMUD!
Ruisleipa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rech, I love multiple alias +commands but, it might get too much harder to code that in. I understand how the system works, first command issuing the next word as alias and all, but do people who haven't played MUDs?

One thing is for certain however, this all makes it much more enjoyable to play a game, it's a sort of abbreviation thing, if you know what I mean. If you don't, try playing a mud to see how much they can offer.
Rech

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, if the dumb people dont understand how to use commands and aliases to use tells/says, we dont have to listen to them!

*starts drooling*

BatMUD!
Thanquol
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea Ruis, and Rech. It could get complicated though if its not designed with enough thought.
maestro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruisleipa wrote:
Hmm, please clarify the problems so we can think stuff against them.

To what you said however, a simple renaming of alias would solve it, I mean, I most likely will make a personal prefix for alias's, like "§" or something, something to seperate words from alias, kinda like the "/" in commands.

Yeah, that suggestion is good. Using for example "§" is a good way, and maybe it even could be the standard way to use an alias.

Well since aliases will be optional I guess we don't have to worry about people that can't handle them. Razz
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aliases would be fancy, but also what about having autocompletion of nicks (via typing a few letters and pressing tab on the keyboard.) A good implementation of this is in X-Chat, an IRC client.

The advantage to this is that it would work anywhere in the input box. It would cycle through nearby/visible/audible characters, friend and clan lists, and anyone who is clearly marked as online (if an online list exists.)
Dw
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik nick completion is in nearly every irc client. And yes, I'd like to see aliases in the game as well as the nickcompleting thing. :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: