Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cutting down on MMORPG annoyances...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thandrophir
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Cutting down on MMORPG annoyances... Reply with quote

Just a quick idea I observed in another game:

Perhaps DoD should generate a remote copy of a map for a party embarking on a mission/quest. This would completely remove KSing and spawn camping. It seems to be working well for Guild Wars, and I heard they have something similar in Everquest. Incase the community reaches 1000+ users and the world is not large enough to accommodate them all, it might be a good idea.

The artist formally known as BlueHyren.
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not something we really need to worry about right now in my opinion.. Our community seems to be around a hundred right now and I don't see it growing rapidly as of yet. I would assume once we get the first builds out that the community will begin to grow.

I talked with thewreck today about the map and such and he was even talking about downsizing the map afraid it would be too big and too empty. I was against as I know we could always develop more ideas to fill in the empty space etc.. There will be plenty of room for players to journey around and I would love to see things happen like in WoW.

Basically you have a starting city you get some basic quests from and once those monsters and quests are out of your level you move on to the next town and begin questing and such. This constantly keeping the community moving from town to town in search of more storyline.. better monsters & quests and such. But then once you get up to a high town y ou actually have to go back to those younger areas to fullfill a quest requirement.

Anyways thats how I would like to see it. Worrying about the Community being 1000+ accounts I would not worry about it right now.
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like encountering random people... most of them aren't killstealers. :)
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like big maps. It gives me the opportunity to find me a nice quiet place away from the general population where I can make a home for myself. As in Akarra, I took over the western portion of Wraith Woods for about 50 of my levels. I only dealt with the occasional wandering person or FS. Not that I'm anti social or anything, I leave that for Origon. ;P But sometimes I, like many others, just need to get away from people and commit monster genocide if you know what I mean. =D As for thewreck being worried the map is too open... Dude, just fill it with appropriate monsters and people will go there. Most of the problems we faced in the past was due to overcrowding... In fact, almost all of our problems were due to overcrowding. There's no such thing as too much map to travel and play on. It'll be a highly welcomed change from Akarra. I will personally drag people into the wilderness if you guys program that in for me. ;P
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a certain satisfaction about wandering randomly far-south from Hope. I really wanted more open plains like that. Don't shrink the map..
Kalorian wrote:
I talked with thewreck today about the map and such and he was even talking about downsizing the map afraid it would be too big and too empty.

Can you give us a hint as to how big the map will be? Maybe, scale wise - the amount of time it takes to walk across etc.
Thandrophir wrote:
Perhaps DoD should generate a remote copy of a map for a party embarking on a mission/quest. This would completely remove KSing and spawn camping.

I read about that, didn't have the right feel about it. Wouldn't the community spirit be shrunken? It may feel too barren..
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Ruisleipa
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In fact, almost all of our problems were due to overcrowding.

Very true. I myself too am found of big maps. What was wrong with Akarra was that there were not enough room for everyone, so you had to fellowship with people you disliked to get experience. Like Dw. Sad[/quote]
Luna
Posts until end: 940

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:
I talked with thewreck today about the map and such and he was even talking about downsizing the map afraid it would be too big and too empty. I was against as I know we could always develop more ideas to fill in the empty space etc.. There will be plenty of room for players to journey around and I would love to see things happen like in WoW.

Empty space can be good, it makes the highly populated pieces of map more precious, and out-postish. If you are going to go kill things a distance away, you *should* have to plan carefully for your journey, and i like the idea that having to travel all the way back to the spawn you want to hunt may inspire caution and an interesting sense of risk.
Dw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruisleipa wrote:
Quote:
In fact, almost all of our problems were due to overcrowding.

Very true. I myself too am found of big maps. What was wrong with Akarra was that there were not enough room for everyone, so you had to fellowship with people you disliked to get experience. Like Dw. Sad
[/quote]
"Let me exp your char a bit so we can exp together later on" B<<<
Anyways I'm afraid of the first days in Daria.. if there ain't gonna be enough newbie areas, we're going to live in the middle of a killstealing and "FUK U NOB U STEEL MY MONSTA!!!!111" -hell Razz
Thanquol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyways I'm afraid of the first days in Daria.. if there ain't gonna be enough newbie areas, we're going to live in the middle of a killstealing and "FUK U NOB U STEEL MY MONSTA!!!!111" -hell Razz

Yeah, hehehe. I can't wait!
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah we're all mostly known here, it isn't going to be fuk u n00b. We know each other's names. ;P Fuk u <name>, Ima kil U wen I C U l8r! ;P
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: