Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web Design (Layout) Competition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thandrophir
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layout Number 2:

This is a pretty simple layout, kind of artsy if I do say so myself. And of course, the word "News" in the box changes, depending on the page you're on.

http://home.comcast.net/~bluehyren/layout2screen.jpg

Sorry for the double post, but I thought it was necessary, this being a completely different layout and all.

The artist formally known as BlueHyren.
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules have been adjusted to reflect the rights of the layout go to the dawn of daria team.

@Sorcerer - its fine if you don't want to particapate with the rules. You don't understand the legalities of it all without having that small rule. It could effect the team a year down the road when you or another person would win.. then get mad at the company for something and then try to take the layout away through legal means. That rule is to protect the layout and the content of the site. Sorry to inconvenience you.

@thewreck - see me in IRC please about this.
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I understand your ideas behind it very well, but obviously you didn't understood my point so I try to explain it again..
If you state that with winning the contest you loose all rights on the webite, it also means that you loose your own copyright on it.
You get a free ticket to do with it whatever you want, but the one who made all the work get's an unannounced prize.
With that set of rules the ones who wins it in the end isn't even allowed to name it in a portfolio without getting in a legal gray zone.
Instead you could say, fine, if you win the contest, you agree that you give the dod team the right to use it, change it, modify it to fit the needs with no time limitation.

If you really think you need to strip off all rights of the creators for nothing and you think that is a good way to deal with a community, fine by me.
Maybe you should watch out then that you set up rules for everything then and prohibit all about daria. you might be safe from lawsuits then.

edit: that's the way big companies work and I never thought Daria would be one, not even that it is a company. Obviously I missed something somewhere...
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that it is a company, its the possibility of dodging legal problems in the future with the layout.

I understand your cocerns, I designed web-sites for small companies locally when I was younger and such. I believe the Daria team would have np with you using it in a portfolio, its still your work, but you would be giving to the Daria team to use. Instead of giving you a bunch of paperwork to sign and agree to and such, the simplest way for this particular situation is to have the user give all rights to the Daria Team.

I would have np for it to be used for Portfolio work nor a problem of giving you or anyone else layout credit at the bottom of the page.

Web-site designed by X for Daria Project etc..

But im trying to quell any problems that could arrise from small conflicts that can often arrise in the community from certain individuals and such.

Yes I know thats how big companies work, perhaps I am thinking to big, but you have to understand im going into this industry as a career so thats where my mindset is.
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorcerer, I don't believe there's a problem here. A portfolio is filled with work you did, commissioned or non-commissioned, but not necessarily claiming current ownership of said work.

The only issue I would have is that submissions are also owned by them, not just the winning submission, but anything else as well. *pokes Kalorian* Unless I misunderstood.
Sorcerer
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope you understood correctly.
Quote:
By participating you allow the project team to use the web-site layout and graphics, and you insure us that the same web-site will not appear somewhere else.

it says participating, not winning.
same goes with the house texturing.

Quote:
The dev-team reserves the right to use anything posted in this thread. The contibutor cannot use this contribution in any other project.

and Kalorian.. you stated it there, that you don't have a problem with it being used in a portfolio whatsoever, but hey, maybe somone else has a problem with it. you want to be proteted from any lawsuits, but what about the creators? maybe the dev team once decides to sue one of the creators, because he/she puts the layout on his/her website as a showoff of his/her work.

Sorry, but maybe you should really get the Dod going first and work on that before you come up with stupid rules which are totally unfitting for a small project.
I'll remove my image from the house contest aswell now, because I don't really appreciate the way you handle community issues.
Lorsaelos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorcerer wrote:
you want to be proteted from any lawsuits, but what about the creators? maybe the dev team once decides to sue one of the creators, because he/she puts the layout on his/her website as a showoff of his/her work.

I agree here. The terms should be changed so that some basic things such as ownership of the work enforced, but details of what the designer can do with it as far as public display of the work should be spelled out clearly.

I realize the you (the dev team) need to protect your interests and rights, but not clearly stating the designer's rights after submission doesn't help the situation.

I know that I will not submit my design work unless I can showcase it and/or receive proper credit/linkback. I have every intention of being helpful and such, but I'm sure you understand.

Edit: Above all, rights should not be taken from those who did not win. It should also be discussed after a winner has been chosen.

This was not thought through very well.
Luna
Posts until end: 940

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this could help. This is a site that has advice and solutions for unusual copyright.

Creative Commons

Legal mumbo jumbo softened by informative cartoons featuring the White Stripes.
Milktoast
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets keep this simple:

You can always just forget about what was said, and the winner of this contest can be named website administrator...Therefore there's no legal rights or anything that can arise out of this...

By the way, here's my website; I did a quick 20 minute demo, so if you visit the website don't expect too much content, look at the layout...I made it with some PHP, and it shouldn't be buggy or anything (laggy, missing files, what-not). I just made a subdomain from the local high school's ROTC website...

www.dod.westlandrotc.com

Edit: I can always make a 'brighter' website, due to the fact that I currently think Dawn of Daria is in a way like Akarra still - that dark, evil game Confused
Lorsaelos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a/the website admin does not necessarily make you the owner of the work, or give you full rights to do with it as you please.

Example: If the webmaster leaves, can the webmaster take the work with him/her?

I see what you are getting at, but I think what the Daria team is hoping for is someone to do this from their heart, and not just for themselves. At a minimum, I would like to see the winner able to showcase the work as the winner sees fit, and receive proper credit--unless other arrangements are made between the winner and the dev team regarding the rights (whether it be purchasing, or just doing it from the kindness of their heart.) That should be all that is needed.

I realize that this seems like a lot of legal babble over something not really meant to be taken seriously (a contest), however, designers who consider their work worth anything more than grain of salt will (generally) not want to waste their time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: